Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
So, I'm 17, and there's an Apple Store opening at the Providence Place Mall near my house. I was considering applying for a job there. What are my chances of getting a job there?

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I'm looking into being a Creative. I have all, if not most, of the skills nessicary for that job. I don't know how I'm going to work 25 hours a week, but I'm sure I can sort it out.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I applied several times to the Soho store in NY and have never been called. I'm also 31 and actually have a lot of computer / sales experience but I'm not Apple certified. Must be tight competition in NY but perhaps you'll have better luck.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
I don't understand how the hiring process works at the apple store. I've applied a few times to the store in SLC and never got called. The people working there don't have a clue about anything! I was helping a friend pick out a mac the other day, and I basically was teaching the sales rep about everything.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
crazydreaming said:
I don't understand how the hiring process works at the apple store. I've applied a few times to the store in SLC and never got called. The people working there don't have a clue about anything! I was helping a friend pick out a mac the other day, and I basically was teaching the sales rep about everything.
haha seriously! i hate it when the SALES PEOPLE don't know anything about their product! geeze. i too, was never called. :(

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
ghall said:
Well, I just submitted my application. Now all I have to do is keep my fingers crossed.
I HOPE YOU GET IT!!!:D Just wondering, did you submit it online or actually to the store?

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Xander562 said:
I HOPE YOU GET IT!!!:D Just wondering, did you submit it online or actually to the store?
I did it online. The store hasn't opened yet. It opens on the 23rd.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
ghall said:
I did it online. The store hasn't opened yet. It opens on the 23rd.

you might have a chance then. i tried to get in at the local store here this past summer to no avail. my friend got in two years ago probably because they were just opening and hiring new people. so, like others have said, give it a shot.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
You guys have to understand, Apple doesn't want hardcore Apple geeks. They don't want salespeople who know the ins and outs of the products. They don;t care about that. They are looking for people with unique personality, and who have a way with people. You have to have something not everyone else does, whether in your personality, or your interactions with people. If you're applying based on your tech knowledge, go work for the geek squad or a computer repair shop. Apple isn't looking for that type, except MAYBE a Genius position.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
MovieCutter said:
You guys have to understand, Apple doesn't want hardcore Apple geeks. They don't want salespeople who know the ins and outs of the products. They don;t care about that. They are looking for people with unique personality, and who have a way with people. You have to have something not everyone else does, whether in your personality, or your interactions with people. If you're applying based on your tech knowledge, go work for the geek squad or a computer repair shop. Apple isn't looking for that type, except MAYBE a Genius position.
well they should *hmph!*

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
MovieCutter said:

When I worked at an Apple store I wouldn't say there were too many employees that fit your description. I found mostly what they were looking for was previous sales experience, a mild amount of technical know-how, and a snobby attitude. For most of the workers, at least. My advice is to get a job somewhere else. For those of you who have struggled at the Apple Store, imagine working with those people for a second... :p

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Clydefrog said:
i thought you had to be 18 to apply

You do. I asked when I was 17 how old I would need to be to work there, and they told me that they only hire people who are 18 and older. So I wouldn't expect anything back from them.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Rocksaurus said:
When I worked at an Apple store I wouldn't say there were too many employees that fit your description. I found mostly what they were looking for was previous sales experience, a mild amount of technical know-how, and a snobby attitude. For most of the workers, at least. My advice is to get a job somewhere else. For those of you who have struggled at the Apple Store, imagine working with those people for a second... :p

Yeah, they seemed to have lowered their standards in recent years. When I worked there, it was around when Apple retail had first started up, and the people who worked there were cool and unique. Now, it seems more like a Best Buy-type sales force.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
and the genius position used to be for Apple related questions.

then it turned into Mac Repair bench

then it turned into iPod swap/repair bench

Physical Apple Stores have gone thru as many changes as the Mac itself!

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
crazydreaming said:

I've found the people at the SLC Apple Store really helpful and knowledgeable for the most part. When I've asked questions that they don't know the answer to, they haven't made something up like the people at Best Buy would, they carefully found out the answer and got back to me.

I also have nothing but good to say about the Genius that I got help from at the Genius bar (only needed it once).

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
illegalprelude said:
what is the pay rate going for the apple stores? For like the Sales team or Creative etc. Anybody have any clue?

When I was offered a position it was at $16/hour and benefits but the hiring process took so long that I had already landed another job before the offer was finalized and it was for more money and my wife wouldn't allow me to take the job I wanted rather than the one that paid more. So, I have to satisfy my Mac fix by visiting the store on a regular basis I guess. At least someone else that would have been aced out of the position got a call back!

Alag28

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2006
intresting thread, i think the hiring system with apple is kinda ******. i say this because it looks like they dont give chances/oppurtunies to young people like me (18 years old) A new apple store opened up in stamford connecticut in the mall and i live 2 mins away. i wanted to apply however i didnt have a proper resume to submit to them. When the store finally opened, the employees were mixed meaning like 60% geeky nerdy typical "moby" looking guys (no offense :D ) 20% spanish guys and 19% Tall super skinny creative techs and 1% abercrombie looking kid with sucky customer service. i asked him a question about a case and he got all nervous and stuttery when he didnt know the answer.

sigh idk.....apple

SilverGreek

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2006
New York, New York
I applied and recieved an e-mail for an interview.

I'm a Freshmen at NYU, in the Recorded Music depatment of Tisch, and I applied to the SoHo Apple store for a job a couple of weeks ago. The app was an online one, they recently switched over to this, but I hand delivered a hard copy of a resume anyways, and talked with two of the assistant managers at teh SoHo store, and they put in good words for me. Anyways, two weeks later and I had basically given up... and I recieved an e-mail from an Apple rep saying "Congratulations! - You're invited to interview with Apple Computers." I'll be going for an interview next friday, but the job position is for the 5th Ave. Apple store, which is a subway ride rather than a short walk for me, but who cares. I checked out the 5th ave store, talked with some people... and they say they need people, especially for the weekends, so hopefully my interview goes well and I get the job.

Anyways, I don't have any retail experience, but I gave a lot of info about my background in music and technology, my language experience, and other stuff I'm involved in... a "reason" for why I want to work at Apple, and a list of hours during which I was available for work.

-I'm 18 years old, and I'll keep you posted after the interview process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.