Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 16, 2006, 01:15 PM   #1
Foleyj1
macrumors newbie

How to remove whining noise from computer speakers

I have a G5 2.0 DP and I just hooked up the LOGITECH Z-2300 SPEAKERS and when I increase the volume there is a whinning noise comming through both speakers. I have them connected through the audio port with a 3.5mm headphone jack. This also happened with the previous set of speakers that were connected to the same system. Can someone tell me how to get rid of this? Also is it possible to connect these speakers to the optical input instead of analog?
Foleyj1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 01:40 PM   #2
mmmcheese
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foleyj1
I have a G5 2.0 DP and I just hooked up the LOGITECH Z-2300 SPEAKERS and when I increase the volume there is a whinning noise comming through both speakers. I have them connected through the audio port with a 3.5mm headphone jack. This also happened with the previous set of speakers that were connected to the same system. Can someone tell me how to get rid of this? Also is it possible to connect these speakers to the optical input instead of analog?
Have you made sure that both items are plugged into the same electrical circuit? It may be a ground loop.
mmmcheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 01:41 PM   #3
Foleyj1
macrumors newbie

Yes everything is plugged into the same power strip
Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:13 PM   #4
thewhitehart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to thewhitehart Send a message via Yahoo to thewhitehart
Is there anything causing a strong magentic field nearby the speakers? A metal casing not properly grounded?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Foleyj1
macrumors newbie

I don't think so. The only metal box near it is the computer itself.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:26 PM   #6
Foleyj1
macrumors newbie

I have the subwoofer next to the computer I am not sure if that will cause the problem.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:43 PM   #7
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foleyj1
This also happened with the previous set of speakers that were connected to the same system.
Okay, this part makes it less likely that the speakers are the problem. Try turning off everything else nearby or on the same electrical circuit, particularly other peripherals or even non-computer things nearby, while sound is playing. This will let you see if another appliance or peripheral is interfering. Include your monitor in this test.

Can you try plugging the speakers into something else: another computer, TV, stereo, whatever with a line out jack? You can see of the same noise is there, which will let you know if the Mac itself is causing the problem.

It is possible that the noise is somehow coming from within the Mac, but that is a little harder to isolate. I'd hate to suggest going out to buy hardware just for testing, but do you know anyone nearby with a FireWire or USB audio interface that you might borrow (an iMic would do)?
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help