Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foleyj1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
I have a G5 2.0 DP and I just hooked up the LOGITECH Z-2300 SPEAKERS and when I increase the volume there is a whinning noise comming through both speakers. I have them connected through the audio port with a 3.5mm headphone jack. This also happened with the previous set of speakers that were connected to the same system. Can someone tell me how to get rid of this? Also is it possible to connect these speakers to the optical input instead of analog?

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Foleyj1 said:
I have a G5 2.0 DP and I just hooked up the LOGITECH Z-2300 SPEAKERS and when I increase the volume there is a whinning noise comming through both speakers. I have them connected through the audio port with a 3.5mm headphone jack. This also happened with the previous set of speakers that were connected to the same system. Can someone tell me how to get rid of this? Also is it possible to connect these speakers to the optical input instead of analog?

Have you made sure that both items are plugged into the same electrical circuit? It may be a ground loop.

Foleyj1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
I don't think so. The only metal box near it is the computer itself.

Foleyj1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
I have the subwoofer next to the computer I am not sure if that will cause the problem.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Foleyj1 said:
This also happened with the previous set of speakers that were connected to the same system.

Okay, this part makes it less likely that the speakers are the problem. Try turning off everything else nearby or on the same electrical circuit, particularly other peripherals or even non-computer things nearby, while sound is playing. This will let you see if another appliance or peripheral is interfering. Include your monitor in this test.

Can you try plugging the speakers into something else: another computer, TV, stereo, whatever with a line out jack? You can see of the same noise is there, which will let you know if the Mac itself is causing the problem.

It is possible that the noise is somehow coming from within the Mac, but that is a little harder to isolate. I'd hate to suggest going out to buy hardware just for testing, but do you know anyone nearby with a FireWire or USB audio interface that you might borrow (an iMic would do)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.