Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andriella

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone actually have one of these on a Macbook? I just got my Macbook, and I want to keep it clean for as long as possible so I was thinking of buying an Invisible Shield.

I have heard good things about Invisble Shields on iPods, but I haven't really heard anything about them on Macbooks. Anything you can tell me would be awesome.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Do you really need one? Just put it in a sleeve when you carry it or use it out of your house and I would think it would be fine. I have never used any kind of protector thing for my laptops and they all look new 4+ years later.

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
I've been looking at this product myself - however I've some reservations - getting the product on without bubbles etc and the fact that removing it at a later stage seems very messy and difficult. I think dirt would get trapped along the edges also - over time. But I've no first hand experience.

I do like the look of the peel off versions - no glue involved - but unsure if they are effective.

Personally, I'd only put a permanent or semi-permanent covering on it - when it started to look like it needed a facelift - not on a new surface.

I would recommend an iSkin or similar though for the keyboard and a screen saver.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
I purchased this

this product was the best thing for both my cell phone and my ipod, but AWEFUL for my macbook.
first off, it is AMAZINGLY hard to get on. i got both the ipod and cell phone on their perfectly with ease, but this was crazy
second: it looks quite bad, almost tacky
3rd, the plasitc starts to get grimy loooking, and you have to peel it off for a new one anyway,
just not a good buy
I DEFINITLY reccomend it for the ipod and cell phone, but not the macbook
andreas

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
i have one on my macbook. it's great. HOWEVER i do NOT have it on the trackpad or the trackpad button. so it's only on the palm rest area and the top. the trackpad area is horrible since it takes away all feel on the trackpad and the cut for the button piece is poor so i decided not to put it on as i dont want a piece flapping around. in terms of protection on the top and the palms, its great.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
I have one on my iPod.

Does the application still involve using soapy water?

That was hard enough on my iPod, I was fairly nervous about it.

I could not imagine doing that on a MB.

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
yes. the application is the same process. but i felt a lot more comfortable doing it on my macbook than my ipod (although i've done it more times on my macbook than my ipod...). really not all that hard, just take patience.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
isn't it amazing when out of the blue there's a scratch on your macbook?

I have several scratches and have no idea how they got there.

I still keep my macbook in the grey sleeve that the macbook was in when you open the packaging. what kind of material is this and does it scratch the macbook?

I'm not yet ready to pay 54 bucks for the invisibleshield. one person says it's horrible for the macbook, another says it's great.

I don't know what to do!!

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
does anyone know if the grey sleeve provided with the packaging will scratch the macbook? maybe this is what has been scratching my macbook?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I ordered one after my MB was scratched to hell by TSA at Chicago's O'Hare airport (as I reported in another thread). I'll receive it this week and let you know how it goes. I chose to do it because the IS is so amazing on my ipod.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
lol thanks macdrive!

I assume that you've tried the klear products on ur macbook?

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
vega07 said:
lol thanks macdrive!

I assume that you've tried the klear products on ur macbook?

Yes I use the 8oz bottle pump spray and the 16X16 inch blue microfiber cloth. You just spray about 3 squirts onto the screen and rub it in real good with the cloth. It completely removes dust and finger prints and leaves an anti-static film. Smells like coco butter lotion too. :)

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
oh...the main thing I want to remove are scratches though. but thanks for the help.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
nope not on the screen, but on the top and bottom cases. and its a bit annoying for a semi-ocd person like me. :D

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I've been searching for a scratch remover for the macbook but haven't found anything definitive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.