Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I have a homemade DVD someone sent me to prep for the web. Right now I just have iMovie available on my system (not enough room for FCP). The DVD automatically plays in DVD Player but when I try to import it into iMovie I see a progress menu/bar that drops down, disappears, then I have nothing and the timeline is empty and the clip I dragged/dropped it on is empty (well white from selecting it first).

It plays in DVD Player but NOT in QuickTime. QT throws up the error "Error Opening Movie. Movie could not be opened."

Any ideas?

\m/

crees!

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
mad jew said:
Maybe try ripping the DVD with Handbrake or something similar and then importing the end product. :)
I thought of Handbrake but used MacTheRipper instead but seeing that it was around 1:30AM it didn't hit me that MTR was the wrong application for the job. I'll try Handbrake this evening and report back.

Thanks MD!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
crees! said:
I thought of Handbrake but used MacTheRipper instead but seeing that it was around 1:30AM it didn't hit me that MTR was the wrong application for the job. I'll try Handbrake this evening and report back.

Thanks MD!

Yeah, you can't import a DVD directly into iMovie - the video has to be in a format the Quicktime can play (one reason why video cameras that record directly to DVD are such a hassle at the end when you want to edit your film).

Your best bet would be to rip the DVD using Handbrake to a .mp4 file (MPEG-4 encoding) at 100% quality. Then import into iMovie and go for your life. The initial Handbrake rip will be huge but the quality will be the same as the DVD - MPEG-4 at ~8mbps. I haven't tried a 100% quality rip to .mp4 with H.264 encoding but if you've got a decent machine you could give it a try. MPEG-4 works for me though.

jerk bauer

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2009
imovie hd won't let me import mpeg 4 files

i tried using handbreak to convert a dvd into mpeg 4, that worked but when i went to impert it into imovie hd i get this error message,"The file could not be imported: The file “Macintosh HD/Users/chief/Desktop/A080904_00.mp4” can’t be imported; QuickTime couldn’t parse it: -2048. anyone know what i should do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.