Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itgoesbuzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
royal oak, mi
Sorry if this has been asked recently, (searched but couldnt find it) but i am thinking about upgrading the RAM on my 1.5GHz PB G4 from 1.5 gigs to 2 gigs of RAM. What type of performance increase should i see? Is it worth the money?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It depends on what you do with your computer and how the current amount of RAM is handling what you're throwing at it. What do your current page ins/outs look like in Activity Monitor? Do you notice a lot of "beachballing" when you're working? Adding RAM doesn't speed a computer up...it only keeps it from slowing down. So if you're not going above what 1.5 GB can handle, the extra 512 MB won't help a bit.

itgoesbuzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
royal oak, mi
WildCowboy said:
It depends on what you do with your computer and how the current amount of RAM is handling what you're throwing at it. What do your current page ins/outs look like in Activity Monitor? Do you notice a lot of "beachballing" when you're working? Adding RAM doesn't speed a computer up...it only keeps it from slowing down. So if you're not going above what 1.5 GB can handle, the extra 512 MB won't help a bit.

The only time i ever get a beachball is if an application hangs (always is Safari though), other than that no. I dont do much out of the ordinary email, papers, music, burn discs sometimes. page in page outs right now read 42220/1515, im gonna assume that means its not worth getting more? (sorry i dont know much about that type of stuff)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You're in great shape with the RAM you have...definitely not worth bumping it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.