Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
now that we know the movies have been selling well, how many are you buying?

so far my count is: 0

...still debating which format to go with in this crazy hddvd/downloadable future.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Definitely 0 for me.

1. Unlike with music, I don't want to buy movies. I want to rent them, watch them once, and probably never watch them again. I own less than 10 movies on DVD (not counting concert DVDs of some of my favorite musicians), and I don't think I've watched any of those more than 3-4 times, let alone the movies I don't own.

Music is totally different because it can be on in the background and still be enjoyed. While I love to sometimes sit down and really focus and listen to a piece of music, I can still get a lot out of it while focusing my attention on something else. No so with movies. I can't watch a movie while driving or while working on something. I have to drop everything else and make the movie the main activity. Thus I have far less opportunity to watch movies, and less opportunity to watch any given movie more than once. Why own it when this is the case?

I think Apple may be missing a big chunk of the market by foregoing rentals. They were absolutely right to shun subscriptions for music, but movies are just so different. On-demand cable is already giving me much of the convenience I'd get from an online rental service, so is it even too late for that anyway? Just some random thoughts here.

2. I want to watch movies on my TV, in my family room, with surround sound etc. Not on the computer, and certainly not on the tiny iPod screen, unless it's on a long trip or something. And in that case, I'll make sure I have the movie I want available to play on the computer (DVD, anyone?). Perhaps the iTV will change this by making it easier to view downloaded movies on the TV without a lot of extra setup, we'll see.

So yeah, no movie downloads for me. The few that I like well enough to buy, I'll be sure to get in the highest quality I can get for my money -- that's DVD now, possibly HD-DVD or Blu-Ray in the future.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
0 for me too, as I live in Canada.

But other than being regionally handicapped, I just won't buy media infected with DRM of any sort, plus the lack of a physical copy, featurettes, and cover art means DVDs are the better buy. And I'm all about value.

I only buy movies I watch more than once, aka Batman Begins (8 times), Finding Nemo (12 times), etc. The rest are rentals, mostly in bunches at $2-3 each.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
my outlook is similiar. I do netflix right now and own about 20 dvds. I would like to own more to have and watch at any time but its just now worth it for the money they are asking. Though itunes prices seem pretty reasonable to me. most dvds I see for sale are $20-$30.

If I could rent a download, or pay itunes $20 a month to rent x-amount of movies I would jump on it in a second. I love netflix because I don't feel like I waste money when I get a bad movie since I'm paying the flat fee anyway. If i could get it instantly with downloads... that would be awesome. I wonder if netflix will pursue that sort of route in the future...

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I have 1. So apparently I have the largest library out of anybody thus far. I feel... special.

I bought one to see what it was about and might consider more on lazy nights once iTV comes out...

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I have 1, so me and SilentPanda are tied for the win!

Why, yes, it is the 3 minute long "short movie" that was offered for free (Covert). why do you ask?

;)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
DavidLeblond said:
I have 1, so me and SilentPanda are tied for the win!

Why, yes, it is the 3 minute long "short movie" that was offered for free (Covert). why do you ask?

;)

Mine is two hours and 20 minutes of Orlando Bloom, Johnny Depp, and Keira Knightly!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
1 for me so far.

Just to experience it.

The quality isn't that bad playing off the 5g ipod (before it died) into my TV set. It wasn't DVD, but it was MUCH better than 320x240 of previous videos.

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2006
I ween i weeen

these are my movies...

Pirates of the Caribean 1
Pirates of the Caribean 2
40 year old virgin
Anchorman
Crash
Honey
Mean Girls
Meet the Fockers
Office Space
Scary Movie 4
Shaun of the Dead
Slingblade
The Benchwarmers
The Illusionist
The Longest Yard
What Women Want
Fight Club

powerbuddy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2006
27 here. It started from Pirates of the Caribbean to Good Will Hunting. Have most of the titles. Hopefully i can fit it in the 80 gb ipod video i am getting :confused:

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
thebiggoose said:
I ween i weeen

these are my movies...

Pirates of the Caribean 1
Pirates of the Caribean 2
40 year old virgin
Anchorman
Crash
Honey
Mean Girls
Meet the Fockers
Office Space
Scary Movie 4
Shaun of the Dead
Slingblade
The Benchwarmers
The Illusionist
The Longest Yard
What Women Want
Fight Club

Cheater... if we're just counting movies in iTunes.... but I think we're talking iTunes Movie Store purchases... :D

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
In iTunes I have:

56 Movies (4 days, 6 hours, 30 minutes, 74GB)
140 TV Show (3 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes, 49GB)

All converted from DVD's I own.

I may be cheating since I don't watch on my Mac, but via AppleTV. The primary purpose was to protect DVD's from getting killed by the kids. I have been able to watch TV episodes while on the road, which is nice.

I have rented 1 movie for my iPhone prior to going on a business trip. That was satisfactory. I need to experiment with the Apple TV renting feature though...

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Paid for full length or short films: 8
I've also downloaded every free short film (Like the Glamour Reel Moments ones,) and nearly all of the previews, behind-the-scenes, etc; but I have deleted most of them, and at present, I have seven left.

I have rented two movies. One a couple days after rentals were announced, just to see how it worked; and a second recently when it was the 'cheap rental of the week', and I was going on a trip. The only movies I would care to pay to rent normally are rated 'R' movies, which because of the kids, take us three days to watch in general. So the 24-hours-from-hitting-play limit is a dealkiller. If it was 72 hours (which is still less time than Hollywood Video gives us for physical DVDs,) we probably would have rented a couple dozen by now.

I also have 58 movies ripped from my DVD collection. (I'm slowly getting them all done on my server, a 1.5 GHz G4. They take about a day per movie at the quality settings I like.) They reside on the server, which runs iTunes for the sole purpose of "iTunes Sharing" to other devices in the house.

I have 126 TV episodes. Of those, I paid for 41. 18 are DVD rips. Four are EyeTV-to-iTunes conversions. The rest were iTunes free downloads. (I have also deleted quite a few of the free downloads.) I'm just annoyed that there is no iTunes Plus-like upgrade program to HD. I have the entire first season of Lost, bought when TV shows were only 320x240. That season is available in 720p HD now. I would gladly pay $1.00 per episode to upgrade. (It also helps that when I bought them, my computer was 1024x768, and I know have a 1080p monitor...)

The primary purpose was to protect DVD's from getting killed by the kids.

Indeed. That is one of my major reasons for doing the same. I don't yet have an AppleTV, but do have a low-end Windows Media Center computer that suffices until I get an HDTV. As soon as I get an HDTV, I'll get an AppleTV.

WG5516

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
I have

but none of them are from the iTunes store. Most are music concerts and wrestling documentaries. I have purchased quite a few TV shows however.

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky
I have 8. All of them were digital copies that came with the blu-ray versions I bought:
The Dark Knight
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
The Incredible Hulk
Jumper
The Matrix
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Wall-E
Wanted

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
At one point I had about 120 or so. Trimmed the fat (I prefer TV shows and was running out of HDD space on my external drive) down to 85 films. Most of them ripped from my own and the families collection to iPod quality so they're at 60gb.

Dorde

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
I got 3:
-The Dark Knight
-The Hulk
-The Bank Job

All from Digital copies I got in Blu-ray movies...

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I use my iPod Touch for entertainment when I travel so I have a lot of video…
  • 29 TV Shows, 239 Episodes
  • 38 Full Length Movies

All bought from iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.