Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svail11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I am meant to use Visual studio for my computer programing class, but it wont run on OS X. Is there a free application out there that i can use that will be basicly the same thing? and if so where can i get it.

Thanks
-Shep

mufflon

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2006
xcode should do nicely for most programming sutff - bundled with the operative system - so go check out :)

there's also codewarrior for mac clickety

gl on your endevour

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
svail11 said:
I am meant to use Visual studio for my computer programing class, but it wont run on OS X. Is there a free application out there that i can use that will be basicly the same thing? and if so where can i get it.

Thanks
-Shep

What about using the same development system that Apple uses to develop MacOS X and all the applications shipping with it? Go to developer.apple.com, join ADC (Apple Developer Connection) for free, download XCode, start programming with C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, Ruby.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
svail11 said:

Thanks
-Shep

you can write straight c++ code on anything. from vi, subethaedit, and xcode then just compile using g++. however, funcationality wise straight c++ has it difference between windows and os x. Probably the first thing your'll see if openning a file can act differently.

What I am trying to say is, compile your homework on visual studio before you turn it in, and test it. if you have no coding experience, I would only code a visual studio machine, or you can dual to xp if you have the right mac. my guess is your instructor will probably want the nice visual studio project directory all zipped up too, to make it easier to grade which won't happen using xcode. Also, if you have to use specific windows library like windows.h your'll have to use windows anyway to complete your homework.

MattDell

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
London, UK
You're going to have to run Windows if you want Visual Studio functionality. I'm not sure of the caliber of programs you're developing, but coding it in XCode and compiling it in Visual Studio would NOT work for what I've been doing.

-Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.