Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrawsterne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Hey, I'm currently awaiting the MBP revision before I purchase but im really torn as to what screen to get with it when I do order it. I'll tell you my situation ..

I am going to buy a 15 inch MBP and a 23 inch Cinema Display so was thinking maybe the variety in screen types would be nice if i got a glossy MBP screen with the mat cinema display.

I will be using the laptop screen for some work (photo-editing, web-work, artworking for print) where I tend to work in clients offices which dont have that great lighting, I also tend to work from home for about 50% of the week where I would be using the cinema display.

I will also use it for gaming (play a lot of WoW), portable dvd player for watching movies and of course, to take it around friends houses and show off :rolleyes:

I suppose what it boils down to is whether the glossy screen will be good enough to use in a few badly lit places with light above, does it omit much reflection? Or is the anti-glare coating good enough to allow pretty constant display results in a variety of differently lit environments?

Also it has been a while since I have owned a MBP/Powerbook, is it realistic to use it for 10 - 12 hours a day, will it cope with that workload?

J

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Can't answer your screen questions as all I have are matte screens. I use my 15" Powerbook off and on all day, but if you are going to be using it that much, don't forget the power adaptor.;) But my computer works all day sometimes with very heavy loads with no problems. You should be fine.

jrawsterne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Thanks for the post :)

Does anyone own one with the glossy screen that could comment?

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I would get the matte screen, plain and simple. It is the best matte screen I've seen on any notebook to this day.

When I use my significant others MacBook I tend to make funky movements all the time to catch the right viewing angle, however after extended use you get used to it.

You don't have an Apple Store nearby where you can see the difference for yourself? I would strongly urge you to compare them side by side.

I'm just happy with the matte screen on my MacBook Pro.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
This was one of the questions I had when I was deciding between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro. I ended up going with the MacBook and the glossy screen is amazing. I was afraid of glare and all that but in the end, the screen looks amazing and there is very little to no glare at all.

My advice would be to go to your local Apple store. Some people seem to love the glossy, others hate it. They will have both screens available on the demo machines. Decide which you like for yourself. :)

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
tried my macbook yesterday outside in the sun. I could use the macbook perfectly!

I did not have similar results using my matte toshiba laptop.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
matte screens are way better for actual use.

glossy screens look good in the store. hey why not it's shiny new. but the reflections stink from a glossy one.

so...l like matte.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I absolutely love my Glossy MBP (I own 2x20" Cinema Displays also, which are of course Matte). Colours are rich, blacks are black and the more reflective surface hasn't been a problem in the places I have used it (Office, University Lectures and Home).

Saying that, I've read that the Matte screens are better if you are doing work which requires accurate colours. I use my MBP as a general purpose laptop, so I prefer the glossy screen for my purposes.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
mdntcallr said:
matte screens are way better for actual use.

glossy screens look good in the store. hey why not it's shiny new. but the reflections stink from a glossy one.

so...l like matte.
have you had a glossy screen and used it??

PerfectlyFlawed

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2006
I have a macbook which has a glossy screen, I really like it.

lots of people complain about the glare, these must be the people that don't actually have one with a glossy screen, or are used to using the computer in a very akward position. there is NO glare if you use it normal. yeah you'll get a glare but to see it you have to look at it at such an angle that you can't even tell whats on the screen any way.

go with glossy it looks alot sharper

slabbius

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
2 MBPs in my household. One Matte and One glossy. I own the matte finish and at first I was like OMFG,WTF they just upgraded the screens 2 weeks after my purchase. I was so jealous until My roommate got a glossy finish I realized that it attracts fingerprints, dust and glare like no other (and that's working inside... outside the glare is almost unbearble at times.

Don't get me wrong the glossy screen is a real head turner, but nothing that is worth bragging about

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
PerfectlyFlawed said:
lots of people complain about the glare, these must be the people that don't actually have one with a glossy screen, or are used to using the computer in a very akward position. there is NO glare if you use it normal. yeah you'll get a glare but to see it you have to look at it at such an angle that you can't even tell whats on the screen any way.

There is glare on glossy screens. I have used several of them, as I have friends with MBs. However, I think it depends where you are and what lighting you're in. Using the MB in a friend's room was very nice; colors were fantastic. But I've also seen terrible glare, the worst was one time when I saw a guy at the airport work with a glossy MBP. Could hardly see a thing, even over the shoulder at a relatively normal viewing angle.

Gotta see for yourself. I'm buying a MBP soon, and I'm going matte. But, if I knew that I was going to spend more time in my room, where I have control over my lighting, I would have gone glossy.

jrawsterne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Thanks for all the feedback, I am going to take some earlier advice and go check them out at my nearest applestore (its quite far away though). But I think I will probably end-up going for the glossy if I look at it in such a controlled lighting environment :eek:

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I have a window behind me (floor to ceiling window at that) and the glare is next to nothing. I have to consciously focus on the glare to notice it... in other words, I don't see it while I'm working... but I would definitely go and see for yourself. For me, I'm very happy I went glossy.

saga

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
smartalic34 said:
I have a window behind me (floor to ceiling window at that) and the glare is next to nothing. I have to consciously focus on the glare to notice it... in other words, I don't see it while I'm working... but I would definitely go and see for yourself. For me, I'm very happy I went glossy.

I agree. I have been working on a MacBook for the last several months, and I have never had any issues with glare. I have used it in many environments, and have had no problems with viewing the screen. I too had reservations in the beginning, but upon using the Macbook in the store, and reading reviews, I am happy with my decision. The colors are great, and everything is very crisp.

skipsandwichdx

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Unless there's a bright lamp reflecting exactly where you're looking, the glossy screen isn't a problem at all. Between my MBP and MB, I like the MB screen better. MBP screen in ambient sunlight is very hard to see.

bigjimbob

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I mainly use my glossy MB on a desk with a incandescent light bulb in the middle of the room. Also with a halogen desklight next to it shining on keyboard (sometimes).

I've never had any glare. The other night i tried changing the angle to see if i could get any and NADA. I haven't really used it in many other lighting conditions.

I LOVE the colour and vibrancy of the glossy screen though. It's beautiful.

drummerbooker14

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2006
Georgia
i have a glossy screen on my macbook, and it looks amazing!!! i even took it into comparison with my ibook and imac. and it was much better. i have no problem with reflections, so, if i ever have the option on something else. i will go with glossy. always

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
drummerbooker14 said:
i have a glossy screen on my macbook, and it looks amazing!!! i even took it into comparison with my ibook and imac. and it was much better. i have no problem with reflections, so, if i ever have the option on something else. i will go with glossy. always

I have a 15.4" MBP W a glossy screen and i love it. There really isnt that much glare. I have used it indoors and out and it has been just as usable in any environment as my old iBook was.

As far as color accuracy goes, to be honest i like the sharpness of the glossy screen better. This isnt like the old VAIOs that I remember had a glossy screen cover over the laptop that had massive reflection issues, its very well done and glare should be the least of your concern with it.

Ed

atticus1178

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
Austin, Texas
my friend has a glossy mbp, i have the matte

and the only thing i dont like about his is that it gets really dirty REALLY fast, and has a tendency to fingerprint very easily, i dont have that problem as much

that is my 2 cents!

nickelbackmac

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas USA
Glossy. Great for photo editing, really brings out vivid colors and much deeper blacks. I don't prefer matte, in my opinion. I have a Dell Inspiron E1505, it has TrueLife, Dell's version of Glossy. Compared to my old 1000, which has the basic (matte) screen or my iBook, it is friggin' awesome. Go with glossy!!!! :p :) :D

BTW, enjoy your new MBP when you get it.

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
I could NEVER go back to a matte screen on a laptop [maybe if I ever got a desktop LCD with tons of real estate I could live without it] its so easy on they eyes...

It looks soooo much better than the old powerbook screens, it just kills em.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
If you need color accuracy definitely get the matte. If you need to impress people with the screen, get the glossy. Like many others have said, I don't find the glossy screen on mine to be an issue at all. I frequently work in some pretty high-light environments, and glare has been no more of an issue on my glossy screen than on colleague's matte screens. Face it- outside in sunlight NO computer screen is going to be great.

Both screens are very good, as for buying advice, it really depends on what you are doing with it. Since you mention a lot of art applications, I'd recommend matte.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
skipsandwichdx said:
Unless there's a bright lamp reflecting exactly where you're looking, the glossy screen isn't a problem at all. Between my MBP and MB, I like the MB screen better. MBP screen in ambient sunlight is very hard to see.

I actually have had problems with both under sunlight. I've seen the glossy reflect in some conditions. The matte, although it doesn't reflect, washes out and gets incredibly hard to read unless if you tilt it at a low angle. Then again, the matte I'm experienced with is from the PB, which has a dimmer screen, but I expect that the MBP matte is similar. Sunlight is bad. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.