Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
I keep reading disappointing reviews on the Apple Mighty Mouse (wireless or not). Assuming those reviews are somewhat correct, does anyone have any suggestions for a really good wireless keyboard and mouse? I would also be interrested in comments on wired keyboard/mouse combinations as well. I love the new iMacs, but I was less than impressed with the mouse. Thats a shame, because the keyboard and mouse that come with the iMac sure looks great. JMHO. For the record, I have not bought my iMac yet. I am just wondering if I should budget for another keyboard and mouse.

Apple2Mac

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
I think Apples keyboard is the best, mostly because the keys on other keyboards feel cheap when you punch them.
For mice I love the Logitech MX Revolution...

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
While you may not care for the Apple Mouse, I think the keyboard is great! I love mine!

I'm thinking about selling the old BT mouse (not mighty) and getting a nice BT mighty mouse. I have an EDU discount now. :):)

Sobering

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
I don't own Apple's wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse, but I've tried them before and they are absolutley fabulous. I love the MM despite how many problems people have been having with them. I guess mine loves me. :)

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
The Apple Keyboard rocks. Try something different- grab a Kensington Trackball-the big one. Once you try it, you can never go back.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Well, you asked about some wired options, so here's my take on wireless mice and wired keyboards/mice.

BT Logitech that's the same as the MX510. Can't recall the model, it's at work atm. It's terrific. I love the shape. I love the number and location of the extra buttons. It works like a champ with the internal BT module in all the Macs I've tried it with.

OK, keyboards. Here's my grip about wireless keyboards to start... I can understand the wireless mouse, it's something moves and sometimes the wires can be in the way, etc. Keyboards, though, stay in one place (more or less) so I don't get the need for the wireless keyboard. All your doing is using up batteries, which can be a PITA when they die and you haven't got spares handy! I can, however, see the desire for wireless set with a laptop. Would be cool to set it down and have your "real" keyboard and mouse just start working. So, that said, here's some thoughts on wired keyboards.

The Apple regular keyboard is very nice. The quality is very high, and the USB hub is nice, even if it is only 1.1. Gripes: it's white, which while it looks cool and matches the iMac, it gets dirty and shows it. Also, I really wish they made an "ergonomic" Apple keyboard. I use one at work and typing on my Apple keyboard at home gives me cramps.

I ordered a MS USB "Natural" keyboard which will arrive tomorrow. Should be more comfortable, but I'm hoping I can remap (and possibly relabel) the keys to match the Apple layout - the volume/mute/eject controls, the clear/equal key on the keypad, and the cntl/option/command keys, of course. Until Apple makes a comfortable keyboard, though, it's gonna have to do!

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
I probably should have spelled out that I don't have a problem with the Mac keyboard at all. I have tried them at the Apple store and they seem fine. That said, I haven't really had much of an issue with the Mighty Mouse other than some reviews I have read.

You all have made valid comments, and I thank you for that.

As for wanting wireless, I have not made up my mind which way to go. I just thought it would be neat to have basically one power cable running from the iMac and nothing else. I am only planning on getting an iMac 20" so it's not likely that I would be working it from across the room or anything. Don't care for the idea of eating up batteries, though I would probably go with these nice rechargables I have used in the past, but they are pretty expensive. Maybe I will just get the regular wired keyboard and mouse which saves me a few bucks. Then I can get something else if I need to.

MattDell

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
London, UK
katie ta achoo said:
While you may not care for the Apple Mouse, I think the keyboard is great! I love mine!

I'm thinking about selling the old BT mouse (not mighty) and getting a nice BT mighty mouse. I have an EDU discount now. :):)
No EDU discount on the Mighty Mouse. :(

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
mrgreen4242 said:
OK, keyboards. Here's my grip about wireless keyboards to start... I can understand the wireless mouse, it's something moves and sometimes the wires can be in the way, etc. Keyboards, though, stay in one place (more or less) so I don't get the need for the wireless keyboard. All your doing is using up batteries, which can be a PITA when they die and you haven't got spares handy! I can, however, see the desire for wireless set with a laptop. Would be cool to set it down and have your "real" keyboard and mouse just start working. So, that said, here's some thoughts on wired keyboards.

Mostly agreed, but... for me, if I had an iMac, I could set my iMac on my dorm room desk, and then work from my bed with a wireless keyboard on my lap. My friend from home used to do something similar, and ended up spending hours immersed in a bean bag couch. The joy of comfort.

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
Well, the problem with sitting farther away from the computer equates to the fact that the resolution is still tiny. Unless you zoom in to a degree, you probably won't be able to see much... or unless you lower the resolution.

I've had a wireless keyboard for a while, and have used it on my bed a few times.. but once I got my Apple wireless remote wtih my iMac, I have had no need for it. I decided to go with MS Natural Ergo 4000... great reviews and I'm curious about the ergo design.

As for the mouse, I love the MX1000... the MX is a great line by Logitech, and much better IMO than the G series.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
MattDell said:
No EDU discount on the Mighty Mouse. :(

Sure is, the day the Mighty Mouse Bt was released my local apple store gave me a 7$ discount and when I bought my wired at the 5th ave they gave me the same discount..

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
I have a 20% discount on any Logitech product that is good until this time next year and only good if I order direct from Logitech. Hopefully I will have my iMac 20" by then and will be looking for add on goodies. :D :D :D

thechris69

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2005
I ordered the kensington Studio Mouse, the wireless version, it should be coming any day now, its white and should go well with the imac

MattDell

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
London, UK
joshwest said:
Sure is, the day the Mighty Mouse Bt was released my local apple store gave me a 7$ discount and when I bought my wired at the 5th ave they gave me the same discount..
Strange. There's no EDU discount on the website and I also didn't receive one when I bought my wireless Mighty Mouse in Pittsburgh. :confused:

-Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.