Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
Can Someone please help me with changing my .mac account to an email only one?
I have no idea how to but someone has told me that i need a paying .mac member to do something for me. so can anyone help???????
EDIT: just another question if it gets changed to an email account can the email address be used for instant messaging

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
I am not sure I understand you. Do you have a .Mac account, or are you asking some with a Family Account to set up an email address for you?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Do you already have a regular .Mac account? Mail-only accounts are only sold as add-ons, not alone. So basically, if you only wanted an email account, you would have to buddy up with a .Mac member and buy the account through that member, and it would technically belong to the other person.

On the IM thing: Even expired .Mac accounts are still valid for that.

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
iMeowbot said:
Do you already have a regular .Mac account? Mail-only accounts are only sold as add-ons, not alone. So basically, if you only wanted an email account, you would have to buddy up with a .Mac member and buy the account through that member, and it would technically belong to the other person.

On the IM thing: Even expired .Mac accounts are still valid for that.
how long does it last and does it still recieve emails?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
elisha cuthbert said:
how long does it last and does it still recieve emails?

It's an Apple ID, so it's permanent. You can't receive mail to that address if you aren't paying for .Mac -- here is what continues to work.

If you want a free iChat ID that can receive mail, I'd suggest signing up for AIM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.