Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
I realize the speed bump on last Tuesday's event, but when can we start to expect a Core2Duo Mac Mini?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
kildraik said:
I realize the speed bump on last Tuesday's event, but when can we start to expect a Core2Duo Mac Mini?

Next year I would think, after MWSF but before Leopard is released, same with the MacBook - that way all Macs would sport at least two 64 bit processing cores.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Chundles said:
Next year I would think, after MWSF but before Leopard is released, same with the MacBook - that way all Macs would sport at least two 64 bit processing cores.
MWSF, being... Early December? Is a seperate GPU at all possible?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
kildraik said:
MWSF, being... Early December? Is a seperate GPU at all possible?

Mid-January.

I very much doubt it, Apple will continue to use integrated graphics on the mini just to save as much as possible on components.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Intel are supopsed to be cutting prices of the Core Duo next month, I hope Apples passes on those price cuts to customers too, although somewhow I doubt it.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
I heard that too, but wouldn't there be a similar chain of events? I remember early this year the CD iMacs were introduced. As soon as I bought one on feb. 6th, the Intel Mac Mini arrived, and it was a month later. Is that possible again? I guess I just want a Mini really bad.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
If they were to release a new Mac Mini at MWSF, what other improvements would be at stake? Could the add FB-DIMM Ram? Internal Power Supply? any thoughts/ ideas of what could happen, or is there already a specific thread for "What to expect in the new Mini?"

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
My guess would be a cpu bump and the new Intel graphics and Leopard with the announcement in January maybe shipping right a way. 4 months away:( sure It would be nice but 4 months is 4 months so I just ordered a 1.66 with a gig of memory. I cant wait 4 months for this to show.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Eidorian said:
Name me a better Intel integrated mobile solution that's out right now then the GMA950.
We're speculating about future updates, MWSF etc., not "right now."

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
An ATI chipset would be pretty neat, although I read the Wiki of the GMAX3000. I imagine that that would perform well. I hope that whatever they do they do whats best: Best performance for the best value.I personally would like to see the Mini head back to a starting price of $499. That would be fantastic. Any possibility of RAM upgrades? Maybe cheaper? Maybe use iMac ram and try and fit more hardware inside?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Core Solo (new low price from Intel) + Combo Drive + GMA 950 for $439 would be too cool :) Make the remote optional, skimp with 512 RAM, leave out wireless... just get below $500! The computing experience would still be outstanding for many low-end users, and nothing out there can touch small+quiet+iLife.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
I'd be happy with a 2.0GHz Core Duo and a GMA X3000 for a media center...I don't really see a need for amazing graphics in something that small and cheap - but the X3000 is supposed to be pretty decent.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
All I want is:
1.83 GHz Core2Duo
80GB HD
2GB Ram
Integrated GMA-X3000
WiFi + BT
...Leopard

Would that be too hard to ask for? :)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
kildraik said:
Maybe use iMac ram
They already use the same SO-DIMMs as the iMac. I'd also like to see a cheaper Mac, or at least a slightly upgraded one. It was hard enough trying to convince my Mom to get the low end mini, especially when it was only $20 off for teachers when she thought it was 10%, then she still had to spend money on a new kb. I got her more RAM too since 512 just was not cutting it. I tried to get her to get an iMac, but she didn't want to spend that much money. Especially for the larger screen.

She is happy with it now, but it took a lot of convincing and she almost took it back to get a new PC. :eek:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
MacProGuy said:
Yep. You said Intel. The ATI solution works with INTEL CPUS...

Or would you rather have INTEL integrated graphics, even though they are slower than the ATI integrated graphics which can use an Intel CPU? :rolleyes: rightbackatya :rolleyes:
The ATI solution is from ATI. Oh crap that's not manufactured by Intel.

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
Eidorian said:
The ATI solution is from ATI. Oh crap that's not manufactured by Intel.

Since when does it matter who the actual chipset of the motherboard is from?

Why would you want to use an Intel chipset with a slower video subsystem versus a much more robust one that, from all accounts, is even less expensive than the Intel one?

Just trying to understand your logic here?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
MacProGuy said:
Since when does it matter who the actual chipset of the motherboard is from?

Why would you want to use an Intel chipset with a slower video subsystem versus a much more robust one that, from all accounts, is even less expensive than the Intel one?

It doesn't matter. I just find it doubtful that Apple with go with ATI/NVidia integrated solutions. Not that I'm against it. :rolleyes:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
MacProGuy said:
It's Apple's logic. The others may be cheaper off the shelf for the rest of us, but I'm sure Apple has a deal with Intel for their chipsets. So we get Intel stuff. I don't know what to tell you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.