Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Quark posted more information and details about the upcoming Quark 6.

This is the second in a series of introductory glimpses into the superior functionality of QuarkXPress 6 software, the upcoming release of the world's most popular design and layout software. Don?t miss future sneak peeks at the features of QuarkXPress 6 ? coming soon to the Quark Web site.

MacGeneration (French) added some new screenshots to their previous preview of Quark 6.

Pedro Estarque

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
maybe by 2005 we'll get the GM version and 2006 the final product will be out. Only thing is, at this point it won't be compatible with MacOS XI.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
Quark, Schmark. I don't care about PorkXpress anymore. Panther is around the corner and now they release DorkXpress 6?

The Shadow

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Looks like InDesign to me.

I use Indesign 2.

Does anyone agree how amazingly similar all the elements in the pics are to Indesign?

Wonder if Adobe will sue Quark the way they did Macromedia?;) Adobe won that lawsuit, by the way.

Hope this post isn't considered defamatory.:)

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Right, but Macromedia also sued Adobe and one on other issues. I think Macromedia came out ahead $$$ wise.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Here, this is defamatory: Quark is evil and must be stopped, and their customer service is lower than whale sh*t.

How's that?

;)

The Shadow

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Looks like InDesign

Actually, now that I've had a closer look, I notice there are none of Adobe's tabs inside the any of the palettes - that's what Adobe won the lawsuit about. A pity.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Re: Looks like InDesign to me.

Originally posted by The Shadow
I use Indesign 2.

Does anyone agree how amazingly similar all the elements in the pics are to Indesign?

Wonder if Adobe will sue Quark the way they did Macromedia?;) Adobe won that lawsuit, by the way.

Hope this post isn't considered defamatory.:)

Gee Whiz, you guys have got serious issues! Any old excuse to heap abuse upon Quark, eh?

Take this comment for instance. It's too funny for words. Quark accused of copying InDesign, how ridiculous. It's just not even worth going there.

I'm sorry but how mature is it to write all these kind of posts to a legitimate thread about the company that has lead the page layout arena for over a decade.

I am in total agreement that Quark should have moved on to OSX a long time ago. But hello! That's not news to anyone.

Any mention of the name Quark in a thread and you boys just jump in and crack poxy jokes that you've cracked in 18 threads before this one. Well ha ha. Obviously I wasted my time reading this one.

Chuck.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
I know, Chuck. We're ******s. But we think we're funny. Operative word: think.

Which creates a really lame segue into saying that InD' is the thinking man's (or woman's) app' of choice.

(dons flame-retardant suit, douses room with garden hose).

:p

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Chuck take a chill pill

The fact is Qauck has been ***** their customers me included for what 10 years +.

The company thinks that without them there is no publishing industry they're delusional.

ID is light years ahead of them ver 3 is just around the corner, quark can even get an alfa version of their app to run on OS X yet this is what 2 years later after they charge $400 USD for an upgrade so you can...stop the presses make tables in your documents, please. They deserve this and more.

my 2¢

cheers.:rolleyes:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Recently, Adobe has been throwing all their support to the PC platform and away from the Mac on their website. It is nice to see Quark will be giving them some competition in the publishing area.

I am not saying that Quark is a very Mac friendly company, but Adobe is actually publishing things on their website that are very Anti-mac.

I don't really use these programs so for the most part I could care less, but my sister is a graphics art designer and swears by Quark. I think competition in the software market for the Mac is good so I say bring on Quark for OSX!

areyouwishing

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Utah
I prefer Indesign, but lets get one thing straight...

QUARK MADE THIS INDUSTRY WHAT IT IS TODAY!!!

Without Quark, we would be living in PageMaker hell, and I will always be eternally greatful for that.

Bottom line is that competition is always good, its sad to see that it has taken quark this long to get with the program, I know of freeware that have multiple undo's.

To the people that are saying Quark lives off their monopoly, look at Apple. In my opinion, apple will always be more arrogant in pricing than quark would ever think about being, the only difference is that Apple has decent support.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
But at least apple improve their product

Apple does not just sit on them for years without improving on them.
If they were like quack you will still running a SE30 or a mac classic. and dot matrix printer.

:rolleyes:

Quark is simply out of touch

It's taken them years to come up with an OSX native version of their design program and even with that time to see the strides that InDesign has made in terms of alpha channel support and proper layer managment, they decide to focus on web integration.

Web integration? That will mean a whole lot to their core group in the publishing business.

Though their product is still the industry standard, their misguided focus is just another clue that this company is run by idiots who don't know that their laurels have long since wilted. Even their cheerleader's enthusiasm is based simply on the fact that it's a standard, not that its feature set is compelling anymore.

XPress 6? What a waste of time. What in the he11 have these boneheads been doing all this time? Who have they been listening to?

There is no captain of this ship. Quark deserves every desertion to ID. It's not a matter of people jumping ship, it's a matter of them being pushed overboard by an inattentive company.

Shame on you Quark...

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
Quark may have made the industry...

But they tried to strangle it too.

This is true. Nearly everyone I know that has switched from Quark to InDesign has had no complaints. Quark is dinosaur. And they didn't want to change because they had the monopoly death grip on all the print houses and design firms and advertising agencies. Angry users who are not being productive when they want to be like to search for other alternatives. Adobe, a trusted company with Photoshop, Illustrator not to mention many others, decided to pick up the slack. And pick up the slack they did.

As we watch Adobe grow, we'll watch Quark shrink. Health competition never hurt anyone.

Well, I guess, actually, it's probably killed alot of companies. Hey, if Quark goes, I'm not crying.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: Re: Looks like InDesign to me.

Originally posted by Chuck

Any mention of the name Quark in a thread and you boys just jump in and crack poxy jokes that you've cracked in 18 threads before this one. Well ha ha. Obviously I wasted my time reading this one.

Chuck.

hey chuch, quark let their user base down starting back in the nineties with their lame $300 upgrade to their lame 4.0 update. that update cost the printing industry thousands. quark made their own bed. we are just happy that they have to lay in it. indesign is now a healthy alternative from a company that wont fall asleep at the wheel. you surprise me with your blindness as to why their is so much animosity towards quark.

do you work with them and this is their version of PR?

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Re: Quark is simply out of touch

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
There is no captain of this ship. Quark deserves every desertion to ID. It's not a matter of people jumping ship, it's a matter of them being pushed overboard by an inattentive company.

Shame on you Quark...

Amen, brother. Amen...

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
Chuck,

I've used QuarkXpress for almost 10 years and InDesign for last year and a half. QuarkXpress has always been crucial part of Mac desktop publishing. When Apple moved foward with Mac OS X, just about every software developer hurried to get their product OS X ready. Except for QuarkXpress. To me, this was blatant disregard for Mac users, majority of whom are in creative field and use QuarkXpress extensively. Because of this many people began using InDesign. But instead of hurrying to match InDesign's move, QuarkXpress was no where in sight, up until now.

For many long time QuarkXpress users, we have every reason to be upset over them dragging their butts.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by areyouwishing
QUARK MADE THIS INDUSTRY WHAT IT IS TODAY!!!

this statement isnt very well though out. it leads us to believe that quark is responsible for the computer graphics relovution. thats false. we could of easily stuck with page maker and the publishing industry would be just as mature in regards to production.

the software is a tool, page maker did everything quark did. and what it didnt do as well as quark would of been implimented in updates if the application was supported. but it wasnt.

kilometer31

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2002
Quark vs. ID on PC side?

On the Mac side of things (a place where I happily live) I agree that Quark shot itself in the foot 47 times and the 48th time (blowing off OSX support) just may have been fatal. I love InDesign2 -- even on my slow 400mhz G3 iMac.

But just curious: We've all been talking about how ID has eaten Quark's lunch on the Mac (for OS X support if nothing else). Does anyone know how that battle has fared on the PC side?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.