Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2002
I have an iBook 700 and always keep the sound down. I don't think I've ever herd the startup chime before. Now, spontaneously, my iBook chimes during startup (yes, the volume is down). Not a big deal except I hate being one of the people who comes into a library and makes all kinds of computer noise. I zapped my pram but that did not seem to help. Just wanted to know if anyone had ideas about how I can keep my iBook silent.

iPat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2002
More a question about why it has changed???....having done nothing to provoke it.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Was the mute on?
Perhaps you never noticed before.

I always jack a set of headphones in before I start up. I started doing this when I was in school.

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
It could be from booting into OS 9. I'm not sure about the details but your volume in OS 9 seems to have more influence over the start-up tone than your volume in OS X. If you have OS 9 on your computer I would try booting to OS 9 and either muting the volume or turning it way down and then try rebooting to OS X.

It usually works for my eMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.