Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Ok. I'm not under the Apple NDA because this was found on my Imac Core 2 Duo 2.33 booting to the new 5728 version of Vista RC1 and I did not purchase the computer through the ADC.

So have a look..This NOT fake!

My apologies if MacRumors gets a nasty letter but I repeat I did not fake this nor did this come from ANY version of OSX.

Attachments

• vista802.jpg
    vista802.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 12,770

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Hmm... I would like to see if other Windows on Core2Duo Mac users are coming up with the same screen, not that I'm calling it a fake, but it would be more reliable.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Forgive my ignorance... what tells us that this is a screenshot from a Mac? (Hoaxing aside--obviously that would be simple.)

Peace

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
nagromme said:
Forgive my ignorance... what tells us that this is a screenshot from a Mac? (Hoaxing aside--obviously that would be simple.)

its not a screenshot from my iMac.I used my digital camera to get a close up since I dont know how to do screenshots in Vista.

I can take a pic of the iMac with the system in it but the file would be 2 megs.

I'll try to get it up on my mac site in a few minutes.

Besides.I'm a member of the ADC and am very worried right now ok?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Peace said:
Ok. I'm not under the Apple NDA because this was found on my Imac Core 2 Duo 2.33 booting to the new 5728 version of Vista RC1 and I did not purchase the computer through the ADC.

So have a look..This NOT fake!

So an iMac running Vista?
What about a screen shot with Tiger recognising this card?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't know where on Earth I would send data at 802.11n speeds, but if my new iMac arrives with the ability, I won't object :D

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Wow. Thats awesome. Hopefully Apple comes out with an 802.11n base station and then can market the iMacs and MBP's as 802.11n machines... but I wonder why the Mac Pros wouldn't be 802.11n, too.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Peace said:
its not a screenshot from my iMac.I used my digital camera to get a close up since I dont know how to do screenshots in Vista.

I can take a pic of the iMac with the system in it but the file would be 2 megs.

I'll try to get it up on my mac site in a few minutes.

Snipping Tool, it's one of the main programs in the Start Menu in Vista menu mode.

Peace

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Ok I took a photo of my iMac with the system open.If anybody wants it it's 1.4 megs and large.

The point is not whether its in OS X .The point is it's in the NEW iMacs.
It's a piece of hardware.scheesch..

Tourist

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
err, wont it be pre-n if anything

Given that 802.11n is not ratified( and apparenty not yet finally agreed on) , surely this is most likely to be one of the growing pre-n utilisations,

I guess the main moot point with all this Pre-n gear is whether it will be compatable with any final ratified verion

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Peace said:
Lol. I think I would be worried too posting this awesome picture if I was a member of ADC. :cool:

BTW that 802.11n card looks awesome. I seems to me the 802.11n standard is closing faster than what I thought (predicted release April 2007).

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Tourist said:
Given that 802.11n is not ratified( and apparenty not yet finally agreed on) , surely this is most likely to be one of the growing pre-n utilisations,
That's what I think.

Tourist said:
I guess the main moot point with all this Pre-n gear is whether it will be compatable with any final ratified verion

This is why I think Apple hasn't enabled it in OS X in the software, unless it is working with other n devices, on this I think Apple is right, the standard needs to be in place first so the stuff will definitely work.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Peace said:
Ok I took a photo of my iMac with the system open.If anybody wants it it's 1.4 megs and large.

Yes please? :rolleyes:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Peace said:

Use a compressed image file format.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
If this is correct... will we be seeing this in next rev MBPs? Being future-proof wifi-wise for the next couple of years would be a nice bonus, even if I am satisfied with 802.11g. Does n have further range too?

Peace

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Here's a compressed pic

gotta zoom in tho since we can only post 200k files and I compressed it to that size.

Attachments

• DSCN2199a.jpg
    DSCN2199a.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 4,614

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Steve at the MacWorld conference:

So, if you remember iTV from September, it's now called MacTube.

It has a hardrive and a special intel chip capable of decoding HDTV on the fly. We get this from your mac to the MacTube using the latest wireless technology. It's called 802.11n and it's already in all of our latest intel macs.
We'll be making a software/firmware update available immediately that allows streaming of high bandwidth HD content from your Mac to your MacTube.

So thats MacTube, we hope you like it.

Oh and one more thing, the all new iPod. blah blah blah.

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This is great news, but I have to doubt it because Apple usually doesn't make moves until things like this are standardized. They won't make the jump to blu-ray or hddvd until it has picked up a little more steam (IF it does), therefore I believe that this is not going to happen until 802.11n is standardized next year.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I found this on the iMac's specs page on Apple.com
Look at the top in the middle. Correct if I'm wrong but doesn't that say 802.11g

251844749_45c15fcf48_o.png

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Mac Fly (film) said:
I found this on the iMac's specs page on Apple.com
Look at the top in the middle. Correct if I'm wrong but doesn't that say 802.11g

I think it's clear that the card currently only supports 802.11g/b at this point under the current version of Mac OS X. The latest Windows Vista drivers appears to identify the card as a 802.11n capable card. I don't think these capabilities are advertised or even supported under Mac OS X at the moment.

If someone wants to verify, they can try the latest Vista beta on their Core 2 Duo iMac to verify it's identification.... now that could be a mis-identificiation I suppose... but the previous iMac (Core Duo)'s wireless card is reportedly identified as Broadcom Multiband Network Card, and not 802.11n, under the same version of Vista.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.