Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Sep 24, 2006, 08:04 PM   #1
thebiggoose
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to thebiggoose Send a message via Yahoo to thebiggoose
Design of the Day

I Took this idea from the Photo of The Day thread in the photography section (I think it was started by iGary) which I really enjoy. The Idea is to post a piece of your design work and soem information about it. Mabe say what it is, why you made it, how long it took to make, and the program you used to make it. You can only post one image per day.

Here is mine to start things off:

What: This is a promo for my church that I made.
Why: To be used to promote my church.
Time: About 5 minutes
Program: Photoshop CS2
Please reply with constructive criticism
thebiggoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 08:13 PM   #2
FreeState
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiggoose
I Took this idea from the Photo of The Day thread in the photography section (I think it was started by iGary) which I really enjoy. The Idea is to post a piece of your design work and soem information about it. Mabe say what it is, why you made it, how long it took to make, and the program you used to make it. You can only post one image per day.

Here is mine to start things off:

What: This is a promo for my church that I made.
Why: To be used to promote my church.
Time: About 5 minutes
Program: Photoshop CS2
Please reply with constructive criticism
Good idea and start I would take the guitarist on the right and flip him so his guitar is not leading the eye off the page (the human eye reads a page like a the letter Z from the top left over and down to the right) you want to make it so that the eye does not leave the artwork.

Also I would make "Our guitarist rock!" smaller so it does not go longer than the 42 above it. I would also use a period instead of an explanation mark.

Great colors by the way, very nice for a church and youth groups.
FreeState is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 08:23 PM   #3
thebiggoose
macrumors 6502

okay thanks I'll try the edits and maybe post it for my picture tomorrow
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:56 PM   #4
tominated
macrumors 68000

the cutouts of the guitarists has a slight white line around them
tominated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 02:34 PM   #5
thebiggoose
macrumors 6502

oh...tehy do...i'll try and fix that....any tips on teh ebst way....anyone else gonna post some work?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 02:43 PM   #6
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Heres one of mine.

Took 20 minutes in Freehand and was chosen from 6000 entries to be the identity for Football Manager series from Sports Interactive and SEGA. I won 10,000.

MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 02:50 PM   #7
Mydriasis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartluff
Heres one of mine.

Took 20 minutes in Freehand and was chosen from 6000 entries to be the identity for Football Manager series from Sports Interactive and SEGA. I won 10,000.

congratulations! 10 000 for 20 minutes, I can honestly say 'I have never and probably will never have such a nice salary'.

When was this?
Mydriasis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 02:52 PM   #8
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydriasis
congratulations! 10 000 for 20 minutes, I can honestly say 'I have never and probably will never have such a nice salary'.

When was this?
May 2004. They fiddled with it after though
Old Sep 25, 2006, 02:55 PM   #9
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
Great stuff!

It's clearly been tweaked a little for the final version, but I'll wager the designer who altered it never made 10,000 for 20 minutes work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0001ZX9XO.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	58439  
Old Sep 25, 2006, 03:18 PM   #10
pknz
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Heres one of mine.

No way! I remember voting in that competition, never really got round to making one myself. They changed it quite a bit.

Heres looking forward to FM2007
pknz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 03:26 PM   #11
Rickay726
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Rickay726

just a sig i made a while ago for a forum about photoshoping.
took me about 45 mins to an hr.
i have many more if any one is intrested in seeing them
Old Sep 25, 2006, 06:42 PM   #12
840quadra

I created this graphic in Apple's Developer tool "Core Image funhouse" last spring for a Summer drive for my website. The image is also one I took a few years ago at a European car show in the Midwest.

The drive never did happen, but I was happy with my poor mans graphic work
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 07:00 PM   #13
thebiggoose
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 840quadra

I created this graphic in Apple's Developer tool "Core Image funhouse" last spring for a Summer drive for my website. The image is also one I took a few years ago at a European car show in the Midwest.

The drive never did happen, but I was happy with my poor mans graphic work
i really like the outlines on teh black car
Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:47 PM   #14
thebiggoose
macrumors 6502

It's been a while....and noone's posted but here's my design for today:

that's teh pic....and here's the original

What: a picture of a guitarist for our church changed into pop art
Why: for fun
Time: 20-30 mins
How: Photoshop CS
Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:51 PM   #15
nodabs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiggoose
What: a picture of a guitarist for our church changed into pop art
Why: for fun
Time: 20-30 mins
How: Photoshop CS
I've always been a fan of pop art renditions... cool!
nodabs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 08:15 PM   #16
mariahlullaby
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mariahlullaby

What: A forum signature
Why: Sort of for fun while listening to "You're So Vain"
Time: 15-20 min
How: Photoshop CS2
mariahlullaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 08:57 PM   #17
ATD
macrumors 6502a

What: 3D render of textured bottles with depth of field
Why: Perfecting realism in Maya
Time: hours
How: Maya / mental ray / Photoshop

I put this image in the MR Digital Photography Picture of the Day tread so see if anyone would notice it was not a photo. It is after all a virtual photo. I'm still playing with it to see if I can take it a step farther to looking photographic. I have been tying to find a way to do a projection bump with a Dialectric material, no luck yet. I can do it with a Normals map but that's a big pain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WineBottleDOF.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	59140  
ATD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 09:02 PM   #18
Lau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD
I put this image in the MR Digital Photography Picture of the Day tread so see if anyone would notice it was not a photo. It is after all a virtual photo. I'm still playing with it to see if I can take it a step farther to looking photographic. I have been tying to find a way to do a projection bump with a Dialectric material, no luck yet. I can do it with a Normals map but that's a big pain.
Wow, I saw that photo and thought it was great, and a really interesting angle. I'm shocked and stunned it's a 3D render! The texture on the bottles is great.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 09:17 PM   #19
ATD
macrumors 6502a

Thanks Lau! Here's a larger version if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.atdesignla.com/public/Win...eDOFLarger.jpg

Old Oct 3, 2006, 09:52 PM   #20
macdon401
macrumors 6502

Wounded Soldier

...here's a painting done in Painter 8 and PS, I have been changing it off and on for a week now, the design of the headpiece has changed 5 times!
i've worked on it for about 7 or 8 hours total i guess.
R
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wounded Soldier.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	59142  
macdon401 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:41 PM   #21
ATD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdon401
...here's a painting done in Painter 8 and PS, I have been changing it off and on for a week now, the design of the headpiece has changed 5 times!
i've worked on it for about 7 or 8 hours total i guess.
R
Again, very nice work. Great energy and light play.

Which is your favorite painting program? I just got Painter after not touching it for many years but I have too many masters right now to get back into it if you know what I mean.

Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:43 PM   #22
fivetoadsloth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD
Thanks Lau! Here's a larger version if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.atdesignla.com/public/Win...eDOFLarger.jpg
thats really good, i dont have maya, cant afford it. and im 14. i do kinda think that the view is a bit distorted on the bottle on the right. the neck seems just a bit long but i really like it.
fivetoadsloth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 02:49 PM   #23
ATD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivetoadsloth
thats really good, i dont have maya, cant afford it. and im 14. i do kinda think that the view is a bit distorted on the bottle on the right. the neck seems just a bit long but i really like it.

Thanks, it's modeled after a normal bottle, it's the camera angle/focal length that makes it do that.

Old Oct 4, 2006, 03:14 PM   #24
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

I dont want to start a war here or anything but the stuff that is being posted is more art than design. Just because it has been generated in a design application doesnt make it design work. I think thats why this thread hasnt taken off like the OP thought it might.

Im not picking on macdon401 here just merely using his as an example. In its current form his piece is artwork. There is no actual use for it, however it is interesting and nice to look at. For it to become design work per say it would need to be incorporated into a brochure or a poster for example. That way it has a use.

Art and design often get muddled together and the line between them is, I agree, quite blurred. For a 'design' of the day post to flourish post design work like websites, logos, magazines, flyers posters etc. Not just pictures of computer generated stuff.

I dont mean to offend anyone by this post but its something that bugs me quite a bit and a lot of other designers too.

Below is another one of my logos.

Its for a prospective job my company plans to pitch to the client this week. The flame obviously represents 'gas' the main product of the company. However the flame also doubles as a leaf to represent the conscious effort by the company of disposing its waste products safely, to help the environment (a big thing with energy co's of late). The colours chosen reinforce this environmental angle.

Spent a few hours perfecting the flame strokes and angle. Created in Freehand MX on a PM G5.

Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:09 PM   #25
ATD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I dont want to start a war here or anything but the stuff that is being posted is more art than design. Just because it has been generated in a design application doesnt make it design work. I think thats why this thread hasnt taken off like the OP thought it might.

Im not picking on macdon401 here just merely using his as an example. In its current form his piece is artwork. There is no actual use for it, however it is interesting and nice to look at. For it to become design work per say it would need to be incorporated into a brochure or a poster for example. That way it has a use.

Art and design often get muddled together and the line between them is, I agree, quite blurred. For a 'design' of the day post to flourish post design work like websites, logos, magazines, flyers posters etc. Not just pictures of computer generated stuff.

I dont mean to offend anyone by this post but its something that bugs me quite a bit and a lot of other designers too.

Images are every bit a part of the design process as typography. As a practice I don't post or even talk about my current design projects. I don't see the need to pull up old projects and post them, that's what my website is for. But to use mine as an example, I am currently designing a textured green Vodka bottle. I'm designing it's form and other designer is designing it's label, this is not the first time I have designed bottles. I'm using a different bottle here to study rendering technique to sell the design. I see it as design, sorry you don't agree. If it bugs you and other designers that much I will reframe from posting.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics