Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:47 AM   #1
McPaul
macrumors member

How to recover purchased itunes songs after computer crashed?

I've been reading this site for a couple of years, this is my first time typing.

Computer crashed, nothing is accessable, at the advice of my nearest mac dealer, I did an erase and restore with my system disks, but now itunes says "all the music for my account has already been downloaded."

How can I recover this?

Thank you.
McPaul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:48 AM   #2
elisha cuthbert
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to elisha cuthbert Send a message via MSN to elisha cuthbert Send a message via Yahoo to elisha cuthbert Send a message via Skype™ to elisha cuthbert
as far as i know its bad luck to you and you wont be able to get the music back but i could be wrong

Macbook 2.0Ghz C2D/1GB/80GB/Combo/AWESOME
iPod 30GB 5.5 Gen
Nokia N81

Last edited by Nermal; Sep 25, 2006 at 01:16 AM.
elisha cuthbert is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:49 AM   #3
reburrcca
macrumors member

You can't.. they're good for a one-time download, except if you didn't complete it for some reason but that's obviously not the case.

Back up your music from now on!
reburrcca is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:51 AM   #4
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Contact Apple...they have been known to allow you to redownload your music. They'll give you a lecture on backing up your purchased music first though. Listen to them...it makes life much easier to know that everything is backed up.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:52 AM   #5
elisha cuthbert
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to elisha cuthbert Send a message via MSN to elisha cuthbert Send a message via Yahoo to elisha cuthbert Send a message via Skype™ to elisha cuthbert
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPaul
I've been reading this site for a couple of years, this is my first time typing.

Computer crashed, nothing is accessable, at the advice of my nearest mac dealer, I did an erase and restore with my system disks, but now itunes says "all the music for my account has already been downloaded."

How can I recover this?

Thank you.
yea, when my iBook was getting fixed it got wiped and i couldnt get any of the songs back off apple but i could get them off a PC which i had authorized to play them so its bad luck that you lost them, i just hope it wasnt too many

Macbook 2.0Ghz C2D/1GB/80GB/Combo/AWESOME
iPod 30GB 5.5 Gen
Nokia N81
elisha cuthbert is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:53 AM   #6
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
You backup music or you beg Apple to let you download them again.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 01:05 AM   #7
Flowbee
macrumors 68030

I've read several reports of people being able to re-download music after a hard drive crash or other catastrophe. Just use the iTunes Store support page to contact Apple and explain the situation. I can't guarantee that they'll let you download everything again, but it's worth a try.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 07:56 PM   #8
McPaul
macrumors member

been a few weeks now with no response from Apple. I've still got my fingers crossed.
McPaul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Stevez0r
macrumors member

If your using iTunes 7 you can transfer purchased music. But it has to be on the iPod.

1.42 Mac Mini PowerPC

HP S3200T
Stevez0r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:21 AM   #10
milo
macrumors 603

You can't re-download. Just pull them off your iPod with one of the many apps that does that.

And next time, back everything up.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:49 AM   #11
NeoMac
macrumors regular

Last year, apple let me re-download 120 songs that I had lost due to a hard drive failure. I explained what happend and they took care of the issue within a few days. The only problem I had was that a couple of songs I had purchased were no longer available on ITMS and I was out of luck with those.

Now I keep most of my music backed up, but since iTunes 7 I created a smart playlist for all of my purchased content and I sync that to my iPod so worst case I will have them stored on the iPod and I can always transfer them back to my iMac.
NeoMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:18 AM   #12
L6481
Banned

Well, the only way left is to wait till you hear back from Apple. Only they can help you in this matter. I hope they will consider your request and let you download again.

Levin

Last edited by WildCowboy; Mar 25, 2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: removed simulated signature
L6481 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:08 AM   #13
Fonzijr1964
macrumors 68000

it happened to me and i just plugged my iPod into my new computer and turned on manage music manually and enabled disk use and it prompted me a some point if i wanted to move my purchases to this computer
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:11 AM   #14
Sky Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by L6481 View Post
Well, the only way left is to wait till you hear back from Apple. Only they can help you in this matter. I hope they will consider your request and let you download again.

Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 02:22 PM   #15
zainjetha
macrumors 6502a

apple will probably convince u to buy a time capsule to use with time machine to backup everything and tell you that you are very irresponsible and will reauthorize your downloads, having made a few hundred pounds out of you...
zainjetha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:26 PM   #16
Xihdam
macrumors newbie

How to recover purchased songs that have been lost

Follow the steps at this site. I just did this and worked like a charm. Good luck!

http://www.ehow.com/how_2266004_recover-songs-from-ipod.html
Xihdam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:00 AM   #17
fhall1
macrumors 68020

you realize you answered a thread in which the last post was two years ago?
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:52 PM   #18
suziewan
macrumors newbie

I'm so glad that you did post that link...even if it is years later; it really helped me today. Thanks!
suziewan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 06:51 PM   #19
jr2
macrumors newbie

Thanks

I would submit that this info just helped me help someone out, so thanks for bumping. (Yeah, I know, another necro. Poor old thread...)
jr2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:34 AM   #20
montyb69
macrumors newbie

If you download the latest version of itunes, there is a new feature which allows you to recover lost items, including music, apps etc that were originally purchased from itunes. This link on the apple support site explains how to do it. I've just recovered mine and it's really easy.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519
montyb69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:26 PM   #21
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyb69 View Post
If you download the latest version of itunes, there is a new feature which allows you to recover lost items, including music, apps etc that were originally purchased from itunes. This link on the apple support site explains how to do it. I've just recovered mine and it's really easy.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519
Your link: 404.

Can't you just go Purchased under the new iTunes and re-download everything you own?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:47 PM   #22
Mal
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberahul View Post
Your link: 404.

Can't you just go Purchased under the new iTunes and re-download everything you own?
Yep, that's what the link describes. Works for me, dunno why it isn't for you, but there's not a lot of detail anyways, so no big loss.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:16 PM   #23
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Yep, that's what the link describes. Works for me, dunno why it isn't for you, but there's not a lot of detail anyways, so no big loss.

jW
Thanks for clearing that up. The link seems to be working now... was probably down then for something.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:32 PM   #24
Sooziky
macrumors newbie

Retrieved and Very Relieved

Here are the instructions that I just followed to retrieve well over 1500 purchased songs from iTunes!

http://www.apple.com/itunes/inside-i...and-books.html

I was close to tears when my external drive died, after having previously 'moved' all my music onto there - off my old laptop because it ran out of memory.

Thanks for your posts which focused my attention on finding a solution, instead of crying

S
Sooziky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:11 PM   #25
yamaredman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooziky View Post
Here are the instructions that I just followed to retrieve well over 1500 purchased songs from iTunes!

http://www.apple.com/itunes/inside-i...and-books.html

I was close to tears when my external drive died, after having previously 'moved' all my music onto there - off my old laptop because it ran out of memory.

Thanks for your posts which focused my attention on finding a solution, instead of crying

S

I used this as well when I finally switched from PC to Mac. I noticed that the majority of my purchased songs weren't in the "Purchased" playlist on my Mac. I downloaded all of my purchased songs and now have them again.

The only down side is that the "Purchase Date" for all of the songs is now set to when I downloaded all of my previously purchased songs.... not when I actually purchased them. It's a bummer because I liked keeping this playlist sorted by my most recently purchased songs first. Oh well... I don't think there's a way to "restore" the actual purchase date.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store