Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Here's mine, running a 2.66GHz Mac Pro, stock other than upgrade to 4x512MB RAM:

67589774.Mx5ErU8N.WEI.jpg

Not sure if that is a good WEI, but the feel I get for Vista RC1 in general use is that it is sluggish compared to Tiger. Lots of spinning hoop action.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
What the heck is a WEI? Edit: Windows Experience Index, ooooooh. I've only tried Vista in Parallels and the whateveryoucallthatapplicationthattellsyouyourWEI didn't work, but it wouldn't have been very good under Parallels anyway.

"Lots of spinning hoop action." Hehe. :)

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
It's more commonly called the "WinSAT score" for us primarily Windows folk.

I'll be interested to see what my 20" iMac scores with the latest builds (32 bit and 64 bit) of Vista next week when I go get 'em at the Apple Store.

bb

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
So using a scale of 1-10 the typical windows experience is 4.

Leave OS X on the Mac.If you truly want to "experience" Windows buy a friggin PC!

And BTW.There's something wrong with your Mac Pro because my "WEI" on my iMac was 4.7 :p

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Peace said:

Leave OS X on the Mac.If you truly want to "experience" Windows buy a friggin PC!

And BTW.There's something wrong with your Mac Pro because my "WEI" on my iMac was 4.7 :p

Does your iMac have the 7300GT or 7600GT? Graphics card weighs heavily on the benchmark.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Peace said:

It's not a 1 to 10 scale/score type of thing. Everything relates to accumulate the score, similar to the way Xbench creates a composite score for OSX machines.

As for people wanting to run Windows, if you've got an issue with them doing it on Apples, call Apple - they created BootCamp.

bb

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Peace said:

Then why are you posting in the Windows on the Mac forum at all? Just to threadcrap? If you're not going to help then just leave.
Says the guy who just one paragraph above told us all to "buy a friggin PC!"

:rolleyes:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You folks obviously don't see humor very well.

The concept of "WEI" is a joke however because I'm not using the NVidia graphics card.

I have 3 different O'S's on different Macs all over the house.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Ewww. Vista still looks ucky. I won't be upgrading my PC past 2000 any time soon and my Mac is still PPC. Maybe I'll try it out when I get a new Intel Mac.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Peace said:

It's scored from 1-6, and if you look at the breakdown in the screenshot I posted, my Mac Pro was clearly limited by the Nvidia card. Note how my processor score was 5.9.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link..." or so the saying goes. I find issues with the WinSAT scores because of how the different composites are weighed against one another, but it's better than nothing I guess.

The true test of a machine has yet to be made, really. I prefer something like PCMark because it runs relatively fast and doesn't focus primarily on the 3D aspects, which is what 3DMark and most other major benchmarks that anyone can use care about.

The big mother of benchmarks, the BAPCO SysMark, simply isn't available for most anyone out there to use and it's ridiculously complicated to set up; the requirements are just too odd in most respects.

I want a benchmark I can install, run, and get results, with no system modifications necessary. Under Windows, that's PCMark for me - under OSX, it's Xbench. Both are fast to complete, do a thorough runthrough of all the major components and that's all she wrote.

bb

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
br0adband said:
It's not a 1 to 10 scale/score type of thing. Everything relates to accumulate the score, similar to the way Xbench creates a composite score for OSX machines.

In the case of the WEI, the overall score is not really a composite since it is determined solely by the lowest subscore. For example, if one had a Conroe Extreme processor, ATI 1950 XTX, a couple Raptors, but only 512MB RAM, your overall score would be based only on the low RAM.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
amin said:
In the case of the WEI, the overall score is not really a composite since it is determined solely by the lowest subscore. For example, if one had a Conroe Extreme processor, ATI 1950 XTX, a couple Raptors, but only 512MB RAM, your overall score would be based only on the low RAM.

In other words it's a weakest link composite score. :D But I understand what you're saying, and you're absolutely correct, and that's why I think it's a crappy way to judge the performance with a "number" for the most part.

I'll stick with PCMark05 for the time being until something better comes along. Can't wait to see how my 24" iMac does on PCMark05 when I get it home next week.

Have fun, always...
bb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.