Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 28, 2006, 02:30 AM   #1
wizzerandchips
macrumors 6502

Apple Cube G4

I fancy a g4 cube,i have a macbook but fancy one just for the fun of it, also think its pretty cool, But can I load the latest osx on to it???. And why was it not as popular as it should have been.
wizzerandchips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 02:32 AM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Some thought it was quite expensive, which might be why it was unpopular. Also, it kinda came at the wrong time for Apple. Having said that, it should still run Tiger reasonably well, but make sure you deck it out with quite a bit of RAM.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 07:02 AM   #3
Lollypop
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Lollypop Send a message via MSN to Lollypop Send a message via Yahoo to Lollypop Send a message via Skype™ to Lollypop
I would also love to have a cube... its limited to a 120gig hdd, and fast G4's, you can also flash a PC video card and bring a cube op to core graphics specs.. personally I think that Leopard should also run on a Cube.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 07:06 AM   #4
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

My Cube runs Tiger very well, albeit without the Core Graphics stuff. Mind you, it's upgraded to 1.2GHz/1.25GB RAM/120GB Seagate. I'll probably upgrade it for Leopard, though.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 07:35 AM   #5
notjustjay
macrumors 603

I have an un-upgraded Cube, I think it's running 400 MHz and might even still only have 128 megs of RAM, but it is running Tiger and pretty decently too.

It's actually for sale, but it has a small problem which feels as if the power cable connection is loose -- bump it the wrong way and the whole machine loses power. If that doesn't bother you, make me an offer
Old Sep 28, 2006, 08:09 AM   #6
Mord
macrumors Demi-Goddess

dual 1.7GHz radeon 9700 1.5GB 500GB cube for the win.

cubes>*
Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 08:17 AM   #7
Lollypop
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Lollypop Send a message via MSN to Lollypop Send a message via Yahoo to Lollypop Send a message via Skype™ to Lollypop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mord
dual 1.7GHz radeon 9700 1.5GB 500GB cube for the win.

cubes>*
What manufacturer did you use to get to radeon 9700??? And the 500GB??
Old Sep 28, 2006, 08:50 AM   #8
Mord
macrumors Demi-Goddess

original ATI pc card flashed, and a seagate 500GB drive, you just need to install an app which lets you use the whole drive.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 08:53 AM   #9
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzerandchips
And why was it not as popular as it should have been.
Cost was one issue.

Expandability another.

What I got from my Japanese friends at the time, is that while the Cube looked cool, by the time you connected all the wires for power, internet, keyboard, mouse, speakers and such, it was a cluttered setup.

Also, they did not like the access to the expansion bus. You had to tip the Cube to get to it.
sushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 03:34 PM   #10
IJ Reilly
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi
Cost was one issue.

Expandability another.

What I got from my Japanese friends at the time, is that while the Cube looked cool, by the time you connected all the wires for power, internet, keyboard, mouse, speakers and such, it was a cluttered setup.

Also, they did not like the access to the expansion bus. You had to tip the Cube to get to it.
Well, there is no "expansion bus" on the Cube, but you do need to tip the Cube to plug in USB or Firewire devices, but this should not be necessary very often. I've heard the wires criticism before, but frankly I've never understood it. As designed, the Cube has less wires than most desktop computers. Certainly no more. I'm not sure I understand what people were expecting.

The expansion criticism is also a bit of a mystery. An iMac is even less expandable, but hardly anyone sees this as a problem. And the mini?

As for why it was discontinued, a quick examination and core removal tells the tale I think. The manufacturing costs must have been a major hurt. Engineering-wise, it was way beyond anything anyone had attempted.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 05:30 PM   #11
kondspi
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to kondspi
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay
I have an un-upgraded Cube, I think it's running 400 MHz and might even still only have 128 megs of RAM, but it is running Tiger and pretty decently too.

It's actually for sale, but it has a small problem which feels as if the power cable connection is loose -- bump it the wrong way and the whole machine loses power. If that doesn't bother you, make me an offer
Cool. I'm not the computer-bumping type, so it appeals. How's a hundred bucks?
kondspi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 07:16 PM   #12
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly
Well, there is no "expansion bus" on the Cube, but you do need to tip the Cube to plug in USB or Firewire devices, but this should not be necessary very often. I've heard the wires criticism before, but frankly I've never understood it. As designed, the Cube has less wires than most desktop computers. Certainly no more. I'm not sure I understand what people were expecting.
My bad. I should have said the ports and connectors (power, ADC, VGA, USB, FW, Ethernet and modem port) were on the underside.

For the Japanese, the esthetics are important. Wires clutter things up. Additionally, it was a pain to access the connectors and the computer needed to be turned off to access them.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 07:20 PM   #13
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
For the Japanese, the esthetics are important. Wires clutter things up. Additionally, it was a pain to access the connectors and the computer needed to be turned off to access them.
I just tip mine forward without turning it off.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:33 AM   #14
wizzerandchips
macrumors 6502

looked on ebay and they seem to be very resonablely priced, and you can up grade them i see. Might just have to get one, if only to look at the asthestic's of it.
wizzerandchips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:52 AM   #15
Xeem
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Cost was one issue.

Expandability another.

Although tipping the Cube was always a pain, it wasn't really a cluttered setup. In fact, with the USB speakers, Apple Pro Keyboard and mouse, and matching ADC monitor, it was the least visually-cluttered setup I've ever had other than my all-in-ones (SE/30 back in the day, and an iMac G3 500 w/ DVD drive that I got a couple months ago for $5).
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:24 AM   #16
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeem
Although tipping the Cube was always a pain, it wasn't really a cluttered setup. In fact, with the USB speakers, Apple Pro Keyboard and mouse, and matching ADC monitor, it was the least visually-cluttered setup I've ever had other than my all-in-ones (SE/30 back in the day, and an iMac G3 500 w/ DVD drive that I got a couple months ago for $5).
The Cube did look cool. No doubt about it. But for some reason it didn't sell very well. My guess would be some of the reasons that were mentioned before. Probably some other reasons as well.

I think that Apple has done well with the current iMac design. Very simple setup with minimal cables. Seems to be popular here.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:35 AM   #17
Markleshark
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to Markleshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mord
original ATI pc card flashed, and a seagate 500GB drive, you just need to install an app which lets you use the whole drive.
What app would that be? Would you be able to use it on the Digital Audio PowerMac G4? Coz 120Gig max isnt that much anymore and ATA controller cards compatible with the PMG4 are a fortune.

Edit - Sorry for the slight Thread Hijack...
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:39 AM   #18
Mord
macrumors Demi-Goddess

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Intech%20USA/SPEEDHCCD/
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:41 AM   #19
Markleshark
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to Markleshark
Thank you very much
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:32 AM   #20
IJ Reilly
macrumors G5

Quote:
The Cube did look cool.
Still does.

The Cube's biggest problem was the price, not much less than a PowerMac G4, which was judged to be a steep premium for style. Apple has since more successfully pushed the limits of charging for style, even more superficially, with the black MacBook. Now they can get away with it, which is fascinating.

The Cube also had a few issues which Apple wasn't quick enough to resolve: the "cracks" in the lucite case and the touch button.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 08:39 PM   #21
mklos
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to mklos
I have a 450 MHz G4 Cube with 1 GB of RAM and an 80 GB HDD, with an NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX Graphics Card. Its running Mac OS X.4.7 right now and runs great. Its actually kinda snappy for only a 450 MHz computer.

Eventually I'd like to add a SuperDrive for it (yes, they do make one for it!), and a 1.8 GHz G4 CPU.
2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3GS
mklos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 05:02 AM   #22
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklos
Eventually I'd like to add a SuperDrive for it (yes, they do make one for it!), and a 1.8 GHz G4 CPU.
I fitted an MCE Superdrive to mine. Works well.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:47 PM   #23
Eniregnat
macrumors 68000

Couldn't one stick the guts of a mini in a Cube?

It's physically smaller. If one gutted a cube and did a little reenginering, including adding short distance m-f cables for the outputs, it should be possible. One could even get the optical drive to properly eject.

Just an idea.
Eniregnat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:56 PM   #24
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

I think I've seen it done somewhere on the 'net but I can't remember where. It's certainly possible and from what I remember, not incredibly difficult.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:11 PM   #25
IJ Reilly
macrumors G5

You could stick the guts of a mini in any number of larger cases, but what would be the point? One of the remarkable things about the Cube is the way it was engineered. Without its unique innards, the Cube just a piece of lucite with an Apple logo on the front.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs