Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2005
I was waiting for the new MBPs, but while waiting, the new iMacs have grown on me. After seeing the 20'' iMacs in my school's computer labs, I figured that I must have a 24''. (I want the 7600 GT.) But after seeing some pictures of this beast, I had worries about its living accommodations...

And now I have a really stupid problem. I don't know if it'll fit on my desk. My dorm has one of those desks that has the overhanging section (for a built-in lamp, and space to put books on top). The 24'' iMac, according to Apple, is 20.6'' tall; the border of the wood comes in at 19.5'' tall from the table.

However, I might be able to push it back and 'into' the cavity of the desk, where I would have an extra 2 inches of height.

Questions:

(1) Is there any way to adjust the stand, to make the iMac shorter? If I can just lower it by 1 inch, all my problems are solved.

(2) How far is the iSight from the top of the iMac? I can put the iMac into the cavity, but the top of the computer will be blocked off by the wood. If I can't see the top 0.9'' of my iMac, will I be unable to use the iSight? How about the screen? Can I at least see all 1900x1200 pixels in full glory?

(3) Is there any way to tilt the iMac to make it shorter?

Dang, I was really close to buying it, but had a sudden impulse to measure 'just in case'. Am I going to be able to have my iMac, or am I going to be going back to the C2D merom camp? :(

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2005
suneohair said:
Sounds like you are screwed.

Thanks for the highly constructive comment.

Anyone own a 24'' iMac and can help me with the measuring? No Apple store near me, and the campus reseller doesn't have the 24 inchers. (Although, if the iMac ends up being impossible to fit, and if my campus reseller eventually sells them, I'll have a good laugh as students buy the big iMac and every one of them realizes that it won't fit on their desks.)

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
It's a tough one. I'm sure that at its extremes of tilt, the top is lower than its max, so I'd assume that you could get it under the lip of the desk. But it's a huge amount of money to take the gamble on...

The only other idea I had was to VESA mount it, but that costs a pretty penny, and as its obvious that you live in dorm/student accomodation, I have no idea what you could secure it to.

Not sure that it helps...

David

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't think it would work... but it's a shame to choose a computer based on a desk you will use for half a year and then say goodbye to... is there any way the iMac could sit in FRONT of the shelf and not be annoyingly close?

My other idea:

1. Remove the foot (someone here linked to a PDF with instructions... you need a card to push in and release a catch, but I bet you could do it).

2. Forget adding a VESA mount, just prop the thing against the wall :)

3. Make sure the vents are not blocked on the bottom!!!! And on the back/top!!!!!! You may need to be creative.

4. Make sure it's secure and that the bottom won't slide, nor the top tumble forward!!!!

5. Save the foot for when you have a better desk.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Alternative measures...

Dude, if there ever was a time for creative thinking, it is now. Consider modifying the desk somehow. Either cut a small section out of the top of it, so the iMac sits under the top of the desk. Or cut away part of the overhang. Or lob 2" off the desk legs. Or ask your friendly Mac dealer to remove the aluminum base and just hang the screen on the wall, or prop it up against the back wall somehow. And if you're worried about damaging school property, don't be. Nobody ever got ahead in life by following the rules. :eek:

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
ZoomZoomZoom said:
Thanks for the highly constructive comment.

Anyone own a 24'' iMac and can help me with the measuring? No Apple store near me, and the campus reseller doesn't have the 24 inchers. (Although, if the iMac ends up being impossible to fit, and if my campus reseller eventually sells them, I'll have a good laugh as students buy the big iMac and every one of them realizes that it won't fit on their desks.)

Well simple mathematics show that you have to put it into the desk. Meaning almost and inch of the iMac is covered.

The iSight will be covered. You can tilt. But even that is limited.

So it might fit, but you are screwed in most regards. To avoid saying all that, i just said you are screwed which was to the point. You could have figured this out without posting here. The outcome is obvious.

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
I'd actually want to raise the iMac. I've heard people say that the 24" is too big and tall and you have to move your head up and down to read the screen. Nonsense. It's just not THAT big. The issue I have is that the iSight cuts off the top of my head. I was hoping there'd be a way to adjust that, but it appears all you can do is angle the monitor to an unusable position to take a snap, then put it back.

bossass

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Bad news: with my 24 tilted at a normal viewing angle, it's more like 21 inches tall. Even tilted way back it's still like 20 inches.

But don't give up. I'm sure you can find a way.

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
bossass said:
Bad news: with my 24 tilted at a normal viewing angle, it's more like 21 inches tall. Even tilted way back it's still like 20 inches.

But don't give up. I'm sure you can find a way.

Usually desks as you are describing are in 2 pieces... the top and the bottom...

How about making a template of the bottom piece of the top section (did that make sense?) and getting a 2-3" "RISER" made to fit inbetween the desk and the top section, thereby raising the top section to easily clear the iMac?

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2005
MacProGuy said:
Usually desks as you are describing are in 2 pieces... the top and the bottom...

How about making a template of the bottom piece of the top section (did that make sense?) and getting a 2-3" "RISER" made to fit inbetween the desk and the top section, thereby raising the top section to easily clear the iMac?

Whoa, thanks for that tip. I didn't know that the top thing could be unscrewed. Didn't know that you knew that much about desks :p

Going to place my order today then, and make the risers while I wait for the thing to ship. Don't think I'll be posting pics since everyone knows what a 24'' iMac looks like, but.. thanks for the help everyone. :D

bluewire

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
Bay Area, California
ZoomZoomZoom said:
Whoa, thanks for that tip. I didn't know that the top thing could be unscrewed. Didn't know that you knew that much about desks :p

Going to place my order today then, and make the risers while I wait for the thing to ship. Don't think I'll be posting pics since everyone knows what a 24'' iMac looks like, but.. thanks for the help everyone. :D

You'll llove it. I just got mine. Haven't had enough time to play with it! :eek:

Believe me when I say this, it's HHHHHHHUGEEEEEEEE :D

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
yeah why not just shove a text book or a ream of paper under each side of the desk? or remove the shelf completely..

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
ZoomZoomZoom said:

I was gonna say- just take off the top part of the desk. My desk at college had a hutch/light combo up top and I took that sucker apart like the first week of school. :)

bossass

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
bluewire said:
You'll llove it. I just got mine. Haven't had enough time to play with it! :eek:

Believe me when I say this, it's HHHHHHHUGEEEEEEEE :D

Word. Usual reaction is, "Jesus Christ!".

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
I still think it needs to be higher. Just a couple of inches and iSight wouldn't lob off the top of my head. Hey Ho. I probably won't use iSight much.

I can safely say that the screen poses no problems in terms of vision nor neck strain. Sitting comfortably infront of it as I would any monitor and I don't need to move my head at all, just moving my eyes fractionally to the left or right, up or down, as with any monitor, to focus on whatever window is required is all it takes. When your sitting 2 to 3 feet away and only have to move your eyes an extra 1.5" in either direction in comparison to a 20" model, we're talking a fraction of a degree difference in eye movement. It's EXACTLY like working on any other monitor, only with more space. It's great. No eye strain. No neck strain.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
zerolight said:
I still think it needs to be higher. Just a couple of inches and iSight wouldn't lob off the top of my head. Hey Ho. I probably won't use iSight much.
If you have to have the screen THAT far tilted forward to look right, maybe it's just miscalibrated. Try aiming the camera correctly for where you like to sit, then click Calibrate in Displays Preferences and go through the steps. The camera is certainly designed to aim at the face of someone sitting in a natural user position, and tilting it on the stand so you're in that position SHOULD give you a very usable display and iSight both.

In other words, if your head is too high for the camera, it should also be too high for viewing the screen.

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
nagromme said:
If you have to have the screen THAT far tilted forward to look right, maybe it's just miscalibrated. Try aiming the camera correctly for where you like to sit, then click Calibrate in Displays Preferences and go through the steps. The camera is certainly designed to aim at the face of someone sitting in a natural user position, and tilting it on the stand so you're in that position SHOULD give you a very usable display and iSight both.

In other words, if your head is too high for the camera, it should also be too high for viewing the screen.

The screen is tilted backwards slightly. My wife's head is smack bang in the middle. At 6ft tall I'm slightly too high for it, it appears. It's a great pitty the camer can't be independantly aimed.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
What's wrong with the wall-mounting idea? :confused: I really don't see what the problem is here.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
dcv said:
What's wrong with the wall-mounting idea? :confused: I really don't see what the problem is here.

I think dorm services might have a problem with drilling into the walls. Plus the clean up when you have to move out would be harder to deal with than the usual poster glue residue. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.