Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Is it possible to rename a hard drive...

I setup boot camp and my windows partition is named "untitled"

Thanks!

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
You can double click the drive on your desktop, (longer pause than normal in between), or better still select it then cmd-i or ctrl-click and Get Info.

Can't remember with Boot Camp whether it's better to leave it or not though. Think when I tried to rename, it was fine.

Rokem said:
depends if it is a fat32 drive just rename it like anything else. If its a NTFS drive then no.
That's it, knew there was something.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
You can also select your hard drive (click it once) and hit return. Then type in whatever you want.

Always a good idea to run a permissions repair after renaming a HD; it's usually not necessary, but just to be safe...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I seem to recall reading that if you're in NTFS you can rename it from within Windows. In FAT32 you can rename it in either Windows or OS X.

Is that right?

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
WildCowboy said:
I seem to recall reading that if you're in NTFS you can rename it from within Windows. In FAT32 you can rename it in either Windows or OS X.

Is that right?
You can rename NTFS within Windows, but I couldn't guarantee the same name will show up under OSX.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
steve_hill4 said:
You can rename NTFS within Windows, but I couldn't guarantee the same name will show up under OSX.

My understanding is that OS X does recognize that name change, but I don't know much about that...I'm stuck in the PPC dark ages.

Mister9

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Yeah it does- you have to go into My Computer on the Windows side and click the hdd- I forget what its called, maybe even the C:// drive... i forget but right click on it (hold ctrl and use two fingers on the mouse pad if on a laptop) and go to properties- the name is just blank I belive... at least it was on mine. This wasn't all that long ago, I just am a stoner... haha jk

Yhapster

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2008
Guyana
By right clicking on the drive on the windows side of the partition in "my computer" you will get the option to rename the drive hence it will show up on the mac side with the name change.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I renamed my Boot Camp partition to "Windows HD".

As said, you have to rename it when you are in Windows as OS X can't modify or write to NTFS hard drives without 3rd party support.

Kaentae

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009
*bump*

On this same topic, I've just partitioned my external hard drive, and formatted one of the partitions in FAT32, when I typed the name it would only allow me to have capitals. So I thought, oh well I'll change it after, however when I click "get info" and change the name it's fine, but as soon as I write to it it reverts back to all caps.

I know it's really neurotic of me, but it just annoys me seeing "LITTLE DISK" instead of the nicer looking "little disk"....

...any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.