Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Apr 6, 2003, 08:25 PM   #1
smashedapart
macrumors member

iPod as Backup Device?

I was wondering if you all would weigh in with your experience on a question of mine. I'm trying to decide what to do when the next iPod revision comes out...if there is indeed going to be a revision...a revision that includes a 40 gig drive. Anyway...

I wanted to use the iPod to hold all of my music...about 22 gigs total. I also wanted to use the spare room to back up all of my stuff and the stuff on my wifes computer which comes to about 10 gigs. Is this a good idea?

I've heard of cases where the iPod locked up and the disk had to be erased...that's unacceptable in this case. My only other option is to not get an iPod and get a 40 gig Firelite drive from Smartdisk. I'm concerned about backing up my data, but I don't want to risk losing it all because the iPod (apparently) has a faulty OS.

Speaking of which, those of you who have installed the software update...do you still experience lock-ups on a regular basis? And has anyone bought a recent 20 gig model and had their headphone jack fall apart? This happened to me about a year ago with a 10 gig model. I returned it and decided to wait for a less fragile revision.

Any feedback would be really helpful. Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2003, 09:00 PM   #2
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
that's never really been an issue to my knowledge-- drive failure is the only thing that could damage your data... even if the iPod 'crashes' or has to be rebooted, everything on your HD is still there... as well as if your battery runs out...

i back up some key files to it, and trust it totally. as long as it doesn't get broken or stolen, i'm fine...

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Apr 6, 2003, 09:08 PM   #3
smashedapart
macrumors member

I have a lot of faith in Apple's products...but at this point, I've read so many negative things about the iPod that I just can't totally trust it. But my faith just moved up a notch! Thanks!

Anyone else?
Old Apr 6, 2003, 09:15 PM   #4
Computer_Phreak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally posted by smashedapart
I have a lot of faith in Apple's products...but at this point, I've read so many negative things about the iPod that I just can't totally trust it. But my faith just moved up a notch! Thanks!

Anyone else?
people with problems tend to complain about them more than satisfied users praise the product

I had an iPod and backed up my files all the time... and never had a problem.
Computer_Phreak is offline   0
Old Apr 6, 2003, 09:21 PM   #5
iJon
macrumors 604

youll learn that most people who have problems with ipods and other apple's stuff are people who arent doing something right. then they complain when they dont want to fix it because they hear that apple is easy and they shouldnt have to do anything. i have never had a problem with my ipod. every now and then your ipod wont boot and the first time it happens youll go crazy thinking its broken(like i did). but all you have to do is hold some buttons down and your back in business. i wouldnt worry, the ipod is one hell of a device. ive seen ipods work after being dropped on concrete and being dropped in a bucket of water.

iJon
iJon is offline   0
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:08 AM   #6
jaguarx
macrumors regular

I have a 20G ipod, i use it for backup. Relaible as hell, it's crashed twice, never lost any data, perfect for backing stuff up. Personally i carry my PGP private key on it. (i keep a second backup hidden somewhere as well of course, somethings are too valuable to trust with *anything*).
Old Apr 7, 2003, 01:19 AM   #7
bombensington
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by iJon
youll learn that most people who have problems with ipods and other apple's stuff are people who arent doing something right. then they complain when they dont want to fix it because they hear that apple is easy and they shouldnt have to do anything. i have never had a problem with my ipod. every now and then your ipod wont boot and the first time it happens youll go crazy thinking its broken(like i did). but all you have to do is hold some buttons down and your back in business. i wouldnt worry, the ipod is one hell of a device. ive seen ipods work after being dropped on concrete and being dropped in a bucket of water.

iJon
agreed. some people are just squeaky wheels.

i love my ipod. i use it everywhere, i've had NO problems with it at all.

i used it to backup the important stuff recently - it performed swimmingly.

don't believe everything you read on message boards - just as high school was, gossip can get out of hand. you hear of one thing happening to one person and all of a sudden it morphs into something that's larger than life.
bombensington is offline   0
Old Apr 7, 2003, 03:17 AM   #8
HasanDaddy
macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting to buy a 40 gigger

I have a 5 gigger --- 3 gigs goes to backup, and 2 gigs goes to music

I have actually lost minor data on my computer before, which I had the iPod restore very EASILY

and the tunes still play great!

I HIGHLY recommend the iPod as a backup device

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers