Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 30, 2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Collin973
macrumors 6502

Upgrading an iBook logic board?

Does any one know if I can put a faster logic board in a 12" 1.07 ghz iBook? Something like a 1.2 ghz from ebay or something? Would it use the same ram? I'd really appreciate the help!

Collin
Collin973 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

More RAM and a faster HD would likely be a better investment ...

The difference between a 1GHz and a 1.2GHz isn't a whole lot, compared to the speed bump RAM gives you.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:43 AM   #3
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Yeah, I agree. I think it's much more work than it's worth. RAM is a pretty cheap way of speeding a machine up and if you're still running on the original 4200RPM drive then you'll notice quite an improvement getting a new 7200RPM drive.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 09:38 AM   #4
seany916
macrumors 6502

Save your money toward a low end Macbook. Old technology is rarely worth the money to upgrade. Spend your money toward a new item and load it up early so you won't have to upgrade later. I generally keep my computers for 4 years before selling them for a really cheap price. Very happy with my Rev. A Dual 1.8. I'll wait another year & half & sell it then for a bit.

how much usage are you going to get out of your investment/upgrade now compared to putting that money toward a more future-proof machine?

15% of cost of new macbook or mini?
seany916 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:03 AM   #5
sturigdson
macrumors regular

I second and third the previous comments: more ram, faster HD. Or just save yourself and get the macbook.

from a 1.07 to a 1.2? You're not going to notice anything like the jump in speed you'd get from just upgrading to a new machine, and you're looking at two costs here.
1: the cost of the upgraded card [which may not be reliable even after you've put it in]
2: your time and energy. I have an ibook that's a pet project, I've opened the case and replaced hardware in it several times. But it is a seriously agonizing project each time. Those machines are not intended to just be taken apart and futzed around with. You're talking several hours of work just to get it in, then several hours to rebuild your comp and test everything to make sure it works. And if you miss a screw or forget to plug in the sleeplight [like I did], you get to start all over.
sturigdson is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs