Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
I'm looking to get a 1GB stick for my MacBook and leave one of the 256's in. I want a good brand that will be around in a year or so when I want to upgrade to 2GB (if I even do). The prices I see are so high these days. Even DMS, my favorite RAM company, doesn't even have any 1GB sticks, only 2x512MB for $124!!!

Any advice?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
eBay, I got a couple "datamen" branded sticks for 100 bucks each the other day. Pretty decent value I suppose, since datamem sticks are said to be quite good.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I, like many others, opted for G.Skill from newegg. It was bunches cheaper when I made my upgrade, but it still seems like it's one of the cheaper ones out there.

Good quality, though - no problems whatsoever with mine!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Yeah, it can't really be from eBay, because my grandpa's buying it for my birthday in a few weeks (we'll probably order next weekend), so it kinda needs to be from a company where he can just call and order or do it over the internet.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
xfiftyfour said:
I, like many others, opted for G.Skill from newegg. It was bunches cheaper when I made my upgrade, but it still seems like it's one of the cheaper ones out there.

Good quality, though - no problems whatsoever with mine!

$108 shipped, not bad! Thanks! The packaging looks kind of crappy though...but I guess that's what you get when you try to get off cheap. Is it good RAM?

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Have a Fry's nearby? You should be able to pick up a stick for less than $100 after tax.

Edit: Nevermind, it seems Fry's is not in NY.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'm a big fan of OWC...$136 is their cheapest stick though. Prices are so crazy these days...

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
ITASOR said:
$108 shipped, not bad! Thanks! The packaging looks kind of crappy though...but I guess that's what you get when you try to get off cheap. Is it good RAM?
Well, many people around this forum have used it successfully, and I haven't heard about any problems (I would have never bought "no-name" RAM had it not been for so many people recommending it), so yeah, I'd consider it good RAM.

The packaging was fine to me, but it's the only RAM I've ever bought, so I wouldn't have much to compare it to. Newegg packs it well, so you don't have to worry about any problems through transit.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
WildCowboy said:
I'm a big fan of OWC...$136 is their cheapest stick though. Prices are so crazy these days...
Second that. When I bought the G.Skill it was like $65 a stick. Now it's nearly double that! :eek:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
dukebound85 said:
when do you guys think prices will go down? anybody have any sense on ram price cycles from the past?

The articles I've seen say they'll remain high through at least November, possibly through the holidays. It's due to all the PC users upgrading RAM in preparation for Vista. RAM vendors are upping production, but they're behind the curve for now.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
This is the G.Skill packaging
Its not the best, but it was worth the money i saved, and it works great!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
WildCowboy said:
The articles I've seen say they'll remain high through at least November, possibly through the holidays. It's due to all the PC users upgrading RAM in preparation for Vista. RAM vendors are upping production, but they're behind the curve for now.

cool seems as if ill be stuck at 768 for a while

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I bought some G.Skill for my Mom's mini. Works great, no problems. If you have any issues with it, I've never had a problem with Newegg when I have to return stuff.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Cool, I'll probably go with the G.Skill and then get another stick next year after the holidays when it's back down to <$80/stick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.