Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwong2006

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I am trying to upgrade the memory on my iBook, but I ran into a little trouble. I was wondering which brand is OK to buy.

There is either Crucial, Patriot, Corsair, PNY, Kingston, and Premium. I wonder which one is OK. Can someone give me a rundown? Thanks!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
PPC Macs can be picky about RAM. I recommend OWC and DMS for RAM...terrific companies that know RAM, know Macs, and stand behind their products. It's a little pricier than bargain basement, but I find the peace of mind to be worth it.

Crucial is good RAM, too, but I don't support them due to their shady pricing schemes.

DamoRed

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2006
After reading that thread on the price variations, I've checked the price of iMac 24" and Macbook RAM on three different browsers. First on Safari, then Camino, then IE5. Imagine my surprise then, when all prices corresponded on each browser. I was as amazed that all prices matched, as others were when they were different.

One thing I discovered, which may be common knowledge to most people, but not to me obviously, is that they are apparently the exact same type of memory, exact same spec, but different product number.

I found this ebay store who ships international as well. They're selling Samsung brand and it's a whole lot cheaper than Crucial prices.
http://stores.ebay.com/McWare-Computer-Stuff

Damo

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Today's game appears to be that if you're ordering RAM for a MacBook Pro at 1.83 GHz or slower, you're offered a sale price on individual 1 GB or 512 MB sticks. If you're ordering for a higher-end MacBook Pro or even just a MacBook, you don't get to see the "Get Sale Price" button that knocks 10% off the price.

It's all the same freaking RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.