Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 1, 2006, 09:40 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Windows Live support in new version of Messenger for Mac

Category: Microsoft
Link: Windows Live support in new version of Messenger for Mac
Description:: Link to newly released version of Messenger for Mac, including WLM support, and a few other feature upgrades.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:05 PM   #2
p0intblank
macrumors 68030

Cool, downloading now... no video conferencing, though.
The #1 source for accessories compatible with Apple's new Mac Pro
Have a suggestion? Contact me here!
p0intblank is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:31 PM   #3
mduser63
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mduser63
Kind of weird to see this showing up now. The new version's been out for a few days now...

Anyway, over at the Mac Mojo blog there's an entry explaining the whole video support issue in Messenger for Mac. There's plenty of detail, but the part that's perhaps important is that it's planned for the next version.
mduser63 is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:42 PM   #4
bdj21ya
macrumors 6502a

I just wish everyone would move over to Skype. It has better quality than iChat A/V (at least sound, I haven't used it yet for video) and it works between the two main OS's without a problem. Plus you can call phone numbers for free in the US? Why is anyone still using Messenger AIM or iChat?
bdj21ya is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:56 PM   #5
tvguru
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya
I just wish everyone would move over to Skype. It has better quality than iChat A/V (at least sound, I haven't used it yet for video) and it works between the two main OS's without a problem. Plus you can call phone numbers for free in the US? Why is anyone still using Messenger AIM or iChat?
For the most part I agree, but I use iChat as my primary because the video chat is much better then on Skype. Also Skype crashes a bit to much for my liking. However, I am usually only using the beta's so I can't complain about the crashes too much.
tvguru is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2006, 01:56 AM   #6
Nermal

Quote:
Why is anyone still using Messenger?
Because everyone else does. For one thing, MSN is designed for text, and people who prefer to type are less likely to jump over to voice-oriented Skype. In addition, it's one thing to switch yourself, and quite another to get all your friends to switch too. That's the same reason I don't use iChat: Because nobody else does. Plus I like Adium better
Nermal is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2006, 02:33 AM   #7
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
Because everyone else does. For one thing, MSN is designed for text, and people who prefer to type are less likely to jump over to voice-oriented Skype. In addition, it's one thing to switch yourself, and quite another to get all your friends to switch too. That's the same reason I don't use iChat: Because nobody else does. Plus I like Adium better
The last figures I saw (last week) were that AIM and its variants had the majority, followed closely by MSN and Yahoo!. I'm pleased that the new Yahoo! client is/will be interoperable with the new MSN client.

We know that Microsoft isn't going to add the video and audio protocols, but at least, we have Skype and Yahoo! and iChat. I'd say that we're doing okay...without Adium.
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2006, 02:53 AM   #8
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousozoku
The last figures I saw (last week) were that AIM and its variants had the majority, followed closely by MSN and Yahoo!.
In which country? It's apparently a regional thing: MSN is the "service of choice" here, you don't use AIM or Yahoo. I guess part of it is due to an agreement between MSN and NZ's biggest ISP, where they promote MSN services. Interestingly, they (the ISP) are pulling the contract at the end of the year and are rumoured to jump ship to Yahoo.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2006, 03:25 AM   #9
generik
Banned

Does it support nudges? If not I will just stick with Adium
generik is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2006, 03:27 AM   #10
Nermal

Thankfully it does not.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2006, 03:27 AM   #11
generik
Banned

Urgh
generik is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2006, 04:04 AM   #12
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Correction, sound quality isn't even close. I use skype to call people in lieu of my cell b/c sometimes sprint decides to tell me to go screw myself and gives me no service at home. Sometimes, I can't even understand the other party or vice-versa. I like skype just as much as the next guy, but it is what it is.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 04:20 AM   #13
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
In which country? It's apparently a regional thing: MSN is the "service of choice" here, you don't use AIM or Yahoo. I guess part of it is due to an agreement between MSN and NZ's biggest ISP, where they promote MSN services. Interestingly, they (the ISP) are pulling the contract at the end of the year and are rumoured to jump ship to Yahoo.
I'm looking for the report but I'm not sure where I saw it. I believe that it was global and AIM had the numbers merely because of the U.S.A. but people I know in Malaysia, Singapore, and Canada mostly use MSN, though I've converted a few to Skype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generik
Does it support nudges? If not I will just stick with Adium
The Yahoo! beta client supports the equivalent of nudges, though the MSN client does not.
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:42 AM   #14
bonforte
macrumors newbie

Y! Messenger and Gizmo.

I'll take Y! Messenger 3.0 over MSN's anyday. And I will take Gizmo Project's excellent Mac client over Skype, as well. The guys behind Growl are behind the Yahoo! Messenger, so I know it is going to just get better and better.
bonforte is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:50 AM   #15
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonforte
I'll take Y! Messenger 3.0 over MSN's anyday. And I will take Gizmo Project's excellent Mac client over Skype, as well. The guys behind Growl are behind the Yahoo! Messenger, so I know it is going to just get better and better.
All I really want is interoperability... on a single person basis, this is a great solution. But in the long run, five new AV chat standards every year is not a solution to anything.... I'd rather have fair quality AV chat with my existing buddy list than get several new programs and have one person on each one of them and constantly have to switch and so on....

Hopefully the rumors that Yahoo will include AV interoperability with MSN by the time the new Y! Messenger are done are true.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion