Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axegrinder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Preston
I'm thinking of buying an iPod and the iPod Hi-Fi to be used as my main sound system for my living room. Do you think it is good enough for this role, in terms of sound quality?

Also, if the battery was to die on the iPod would it still work if kept permanently in the Hi-Fi i.e take its power from the Hi-Fi?

The only time I listen to music is either in the house or in the car so taking the iPod out with me isn't really important, I've got other devices I can use for that such as my Cowon A3 for films and music. I just like the idea of a music system in the house that has all my music contained on it and looks good as well!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Depending on the size of living room, I think it's good enough in terms of sound quality. Bear in mind that it doesn't have a great deal of separation as it's just one unit with the drivers close together. It would probably sound best spaced away from the back wall a bit...

And yes, the iPod draws power from the unit as it charges while playing. Not entirely sure if the battery was dead that it would still work but my hunch would be that it would.

Mine's in my kitchen at the mo which is just perfect.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
You should definetly buy one. It sounds amazing and has cool features that other speakers do not such as the full screen album art and other cool stuff.
If you ever hear anyone say that it does not sound very good, they have not heard it, or have only heard it playing less-than-128kbps MP3/AACs.
Personaly, I have re ripped all my favourite albums again in Apple Lossless just for my iPod Hi-Fi, and it sounds amazing, but music from the iTunes Music Store still sounds great. It also has a line-in on the back, so you can still use your Cowon A3 if you want to.
I thouroughly recommend it to everyone (including audiophiles).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.