Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
After an hour or two of just surfing the internet or listening to music all three of my computer's (imac G5 [als] 2GHz 20", rev. b) fans get pretty up there in rpms. It takes the fans forever to return to idle too, like a half-hour at least. Anyone else with imac G5 experience have this issue? How long should it take for idle?

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
manosaurus said:
After an hour or two of just surfing the internet or listening to music all three of my computer's (imac G5 [als] 2GHz 20", rev. b) fans get pretty up there in rpms. It takes the fans forever to return to idle too, like a half-hour at least. Anyone else with imac G5 experience have this issue? How long should it take for idle?

O the infamous iMac G5. I owned one myself nearly a year and always had to deal with the fans.

What is the processor set to in the energy saver pref. pane?

What programs are you running? Is it steaming hot in the room? What's the average temp on the machine? I remember mine would be at about 150-160 Fahrenheit.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Eidorian said:
My Rev. B iMac G5 never took that long to rev back down. Even from 170 F it'd only take 2-3 minutes at most.

Rev A was the problematic one I owned...Once I got rid of it, the logic board died or was slowly dying according to the new ownder:eek:

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
The fans are a problem, and especially in the summer, when the whole house is warmer... (Is that the edge of technology ?).

When I really can't take it anymore, I keep the Energy Saver window (in System Preferences) open in the back, and switch back to Reduced when I want quietness and don't need to edit photos or movies.

I usually get a quick change of noise. But it sucks to have to slow down your computer for quietness.

I also guess that if the computer is too warm, it will still need some time with the fans, even in Reduced, to get back to a cooler temp.

Do you have enough room for cooling air ? The space under the iMac should be left empty, as well as the space behind the iMac. If you just circulate warm air, it won't cool down. Don't keep your iMac stuck to a wall (or a chimney...).

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Have you ever cleaned the interior of your iMac? It's really easy to do. All of the fans are user serviceable too.

riciad

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
I clean my Rev. A iMac G5 every few months and my current temps are CPU 141 F, HD 122 F with processor on High and after 6 hours of 3D modelling and rendering. The fans are only barely audible.

Be sure and clean the air intake grille on the bottom. The first few times I only cleaned out inside and then when the fans seemed to be revving up more than they should I realised the grille was almost completely blocked. I'm a smoker so that probably doesn't help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.