Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:42 AM   #1
2ndPath
macrumors 6502

How to get EPS files into Powerpoint

I have a number of EPS files, which I want to include into a Powerpoint presentation. I know that one solution is to just raster them to a bitmap and import the bitmap into Powerpoint. However I would like to perserve them as vector images in Powerpoint to be able to scale them later on.

If I include the EPS it only displays the embedded preview instead of the vector content, which looks very bad. If I convert the EPS to PDF and import that, Powerpoint seems to raster the PDF at a pretty low resolution, which does not look nice if it is magnified.

The best solution I found so far, is exporting the EPS from Illustrator to a Windows Metafile, which can be included in Powerpoint as a true vector image. However it seems to mess up the fonts. If I have a Helvetica Bold in Illustrator, it will be displayed as Helvetica Italics in Powerpoint and vice versa. Also some objects within the graphic are displaced a bit.

Does anyone know, whether there is a better way to import EPS to Powerpoint, or should I just stick with rastering all EPS files to bitmaps?
2ndPath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:47 AM   #2
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

On copies of the files, why not convert the fonts to outlines if font substitution is occurring? Might be larger file sizes but you won't get the same problem.

I hate how MS stuff doesn't play nice with industry-standard formats. It's just pathetic...
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 08:09 AM   #3
2ndPath
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
On copies of the files, why not convert the fonts to outlines if font substitution is occurring? Might be larger file sizes but you won't get the same problem.

I hate how MS stuff doesn't play nice with industry-standard formats. It's just pathetic...
Thank you very much, that is the best option so far. I actually tried before to convert the text to outline and the dragged the whole drawing to Powerpoint without saving it before as a WMF. This way the text looked really ugly. With saving it as a WMF before importing into Powerpoint, it looks much better now. Not as clean as non-outlined text in a Metafile, but reasonably nice.

And yes, I really dislike the fact that for MS software you can't just do things straight ahead. Apple shows with Keynote how the import of EPS should work (at least for my files it worked).
2ndPath is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store