Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Help!

I just noticed that hundreds of my songs in my iTunes are suddenly unplayable. I have no idea how long they’ve been this way, as I haven’t been paying too much attention recently to iTunes. I’ve just been playing songs in shuffle mode for a while.

When I click on these songs, I get a notice that says "This computer is not authorized to play [song title]. Would you like to Authorize it?" These are all songs I bought/downloaded on iTunes, so I don't understand what the problem is. And when I enter my account ID and password to try and authorize them again, nothing happens. (It says my computer is authorized, yet the songs remain unplayable).

I've been going through my library to see which songs are like this, and I’m only halfway through so far. I’m guessing around 500 of them (out of over 3500) are like this. I noticed they were ALL songs I bought PRIOR to March, 2004.

Now the only thing I can think of that MIGHT be the cause of this is something that happened recently…

I have ALWAYS handled/bought all my music on ONE computer only – my G5 desktop. With iTunes 7 installed, I noticed you could now transfer purchased music from your iPod to other computers, so I tried to do that with my G4 laptop. I was only able to transfer over about 10% of my iPod for some reason. And then, when I tried to play the songs, it gave me a similar message of “This computer is not authorized…” with an addition of “Only 5 of your computers can be authorized to play purchased music at a time,” or something like that. And in order to authorize my laptop, I would have to deauthorize one of my other computers. Well this confused me greatly, because I have NEVER had five computers with iTunes accounts. At the MOST I had 3…maybe – the two computers I currently own, and a previous laptop that a friend now owned. I went to my friends computer and tried to deauthorize that one just in case I somehow didn’t erase all my account info like I thought I had (she rarely touches iTunes, and only occasionally plays the music that’s already there), but it said it was never authorized in the first place. Ok… so which computers were?!?!

I was pretty confused/frustrated for a couple of days, until some searching on Apple’s site led me to their authorization page, where it explained I could deauthorize ALL my computers at once (something you can only do once a year, it seems). So I did that, thinking I could then just re-authorize my two current computers – and my laptop would FIINALLY be able to play that music. Well I did it, and it seemed to work. I tested a few songs on both computers, and all seemed ok….

Until yesterday, when I realized a huge chunk of my library that’s suddenly unplayable!!

What gives? Anyone have any idea what happened here? I really don’t want to have to re-buy all of these songs. Any help is much appreciated…

Thanks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mmm, that's a confusing one. It sounds like you're doing all the right things.

Here are three thoughts:

1) Have you recently moved, and does your address on file for your Apple account match the one on file for your credit card? This ought not affect existing songs, but you never know.

2) Are QT and iTunes fully updated on both computers, to make sure that there is no issue of different revisions of Fairplay?

3) Go and check the permissions and ownership of your music library. The individual songs should be owned by you:you (that is, the owner and the group should be your account short name). The songs should have rw permissions for owner and r for all others.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I've had something along the same problems as you have, and it's annoyed the hell out of me. iTunes 7 has ****ed up a lot of authorizations on all of the computers I had authorized, and now I can't even correct the problem. I tried contacting Apple about this, but they never got back to me in the 48 hours like their website promised. iTunes 7 is one big let down.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
mkrishnan said:
1) Have you recently moved, and does your address on file for your Apple account match the one on file for your credit card? This ought not affect existing songs, but you never know.

Last time I moved was over a year and a half ago -- but I always update all my accounts when I do.

mkrishnan said:
2) Are QT and iTunes fully updated on both computers, to make sure that there is no issue of different revisions of Fairplay?

Yep -- always keep up to date too! I'm starting to regret updating to iTunes 7, as it sounds like it could be part of the problem...

mkrishnan said:
3) Go and check the permissions and ownership of your music library. The individual songs should be owned by you:you (that is, the owner and the group should be your account short name). The songs should have rw permissions for owner and r for all others.

I'm at work now, so I'll check when I'm home again. I just found it odd that it was only songs BEFORE a ceratain time period.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Warbrain said:
I've had something along the same problems as you have, and it's annoyed the hell out of me. iTunes 7 has ****ed up a lot of authorizations on all of the computers I had authorized, and now I can't even correct the problem. I tried contacting Apple about this, but they never got back to me in the 48 hours like their website promised. iTunes 7 is one big let down.

So Apple still hasn't gotten back to you? How long has it been? That doesn't sound promising... :(

HouseHeadNY

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2006
Same Problem Hear!! I Have 2 Friends With Problem Also!

ive been posting my progress on this issue in this thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=1#post2908715

no response yet from apple, im about to try to downgrade to itunes 7.0 because i did not have this problem untill i upgraded to 7.0.1. older versions of itunes availaible fro downlaod hear!

http://www.oldapps.com/download_itunes_mac.php

please anyone with this similar problem post so i can try to get apple to move a bit faster!

and the moving address thing doesn ot apply to me, been at same address, i did however realized that while repairing permissions there were itunes errors that were supposivly fixed! but not! i also tried everything. this is happening even on new download, i meen anything ive downloaded since 7.0.1 installed is also not working! i just get that "must authorize" notice, then just a plain grey screen, it looks as if its playing but no video is shown, i also tried palying in the newest version of quicktime and get same grey screen!

i would reccomend noone download any videos untill this is fixed, i meen, we need to at least get our video working before e buy more! i can play any video that i imported my self, but anything that requires authorization, past or present, does not play...

anyone else got any advide, reply or email me, please!

househeadny@yahoo.com

paul

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
HouseHeadNY said:
NO RESPONSE YET FROM APPLE, IM ABOUT TO TRY TO DOWNGRADE TO ITUNES 7.0 BECAUSE I DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM UNTILL I UPGRADED TO 7.0.1. OLDER VERSIONS OF ITUNES AVAILAIBLE FRO DOWNLAOD HEAR!

PAUL

Please let us know if the downgrade to 7.0 helps you at all.

I just realized something else -- I believe all the music I can't play now was stuff I bought BEFORE I changed my e-mail address to a .mac account. That old e-mail address also keeps coming up in the pop-up message that tells me my computer isn't authorized to play this content. I've been changing the e-mail address to my current .mac one every time, but maybe it's just a matter of using the old one??? I don't know -- I'll try it when I'm back home.

Regardless, this is just a major pain in the butt. While I'm not happy to hear other people are having the same problem, I hope it at least means Apple will address it sooner rather than later.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Rojo said:
Please let us know if the downgrade to 7.0 helps you at all.

I just realized something else -- I believe all the music I can't play now was stuff I bought BEFORE I changed my e-mail address to a .mac account. That old e-mail address also keeps coming up in the pop-up message that tells me my computer isn't authorized to play this content. I've been changing the e-mail address to my current .mac one every time, but maybe it's just a matter of using the old one??? I don't know -- I'll try it when I'm back home.

Regardless, this is just a major pain in the butt. While I'm not happy to hear other people are having the same problem, I hope it at least means Apple will address it sooner rather than later.

e-mail address or account name? (note an account name looks like an e-mail address). Purchased content is owned by an account name. I'm not sure which you mean. Try reading these threads/articles. I'm sure your answer is there.

https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-123238.html.

This section from the link below.
To authorize a computer to play purchases using your Apple Account

Select a song, video, or audiobook you've purchased (in your library or the Purchased playlist).
Click the Play button.
If the computer is already authorized, the item plays. If the computer has not yet been authorized, iTunes asks you to enter the Apple ID and password you used to purchase the song.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014

This section from the link below
You can change the password and email address associated with your Apple ID at any time by signing in and clicking View Account at the My Info page.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93312

edit: added extra links

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
devman said:
e-mail address or account name? (note an account name looks like an e-mail address). Purchased content is owned by an account name. I'm not sure which you mean. Try reading these threads/articles. I'm sure your answer is there.

Thanks.
Yes, I guess it's my account name (which is my e-mail address).
I'm still confused to why there's a problem NOW, 2 1/2 years after the fact -- but I guess that's a 7.0.1 issue?

Anyways...
I'll have another update once I'm home.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Rojo said:
Thanks.
Yes, I guess it's my account name (which is my e-mail address).
I'm still confused to why there's a problem NOW, 2 1/2 years after the fact -- but I guess that's a 7.0.1 issue?

Because iTunes 7 triggers a re-authorize for most (all?) of us.

I suspect all you need to do is authorize both accounts but you've only done that for one of them.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Yep, back home and have authorized the non-working songs using my old account. All my songs play now... whew!

dazboardrider

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2006
I have the same issue as everyone!

I dont have a old account to go back to ive only had one account!

I asked apple for support. They then replyed 2 days later and told me to update to itunes 7.0.1 (which I already have!!!:mad: )

I replyed then 2 days later they said I need to reinstall itunes and quicktime.
I did that and still no go!

Dont get me wrong I love apple! I even own 3 macs, but these guys are ****ing me off right now!

iTunesFreak5454

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
devman said:
Because iTunes 7 triggers a re-authorize for most (all?) of us.

I suspect all you need to do is authorize both accounts but you've only done that for one of them.

You are right!

If you have this problem think about any other account name that you've had with iTunes. If you can think of it, authorize using that name and you should be able to listen to your remained music.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
dazboardrider said:
I have the same issue as everyone!

I dont have a old account to go back to ive only had one account!

Then you don't have the same issue as everyone.

The issue that just got resolved in this thread has been the way authorization has worked from day 1. Each account must be authorized. It just so happens that iTunes 7 triggers a re-authorization. It's easy for some people to forget that x years ago they purchased music under a different account.

Now, if you can explain exactly what your problem is maybe someone here can help.

dazboardrider

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2006
devman said:
Then you don't have the same issue as everyone.

Well actually if you look at the origionl post you will see there is nothing about having another account. He didnt relise that till later on. So Im having the EXACT problem as the origional post. Ive only ever had one itunes account and I only keep my purchaced music on one computer.

HouseHeadNY

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2006
itunes 7.0.1 authorization problem FIXED!

itunes 7.0.1 authorization problem FIXED!
so after convincing apple to do phone support on this issue and spending 5 hourso n the phone with NO FIX. i decided that i was lookin at the issue in the wrong way, i noticed that no only was i unable to authorize my videos or songs but i was no aboe to PREVIEW ANY VIDEOS IN ITUNES MUSIC STORE EITHER this made me thing that it was not a itunes issue BUT A QUICKTIME ISSUE emember there was a update for quicktime along with the update to itunes!! after these steps i am totally fixed, both the authorization problem and the greyed out video and preview problem!

1 first, i did a permissions repair as well as a disc repair! i noteced a problem wehn verifiying my disc, so i did a disc repair, might not have anything to do with this issue, but to be safve, run disc utitltiy repair of both permissins and disc repair.

2. trash your mac hd/library/caches folder A MUST

3. move your hd/llibrary/quicktime/components folder to your desktop to use after reinstalling quicktime ALSO A MUST, IF YOU KEEP THAT FOLDER QUICKTIME WILL NOT INSTALL PROPERLY

4. remove the quicktime reciept installer, its in mac hd/ library/receipts/quicktime YOU CAN JUST TRASH THAT, ITS JUST A INSTALLER THAT WE WILL DOWNLAOD ANYWAY.

5. TRASH QUICKTIME ITSELF! I Did Also Trash Any And All Quicktime Prefs In The userfoler/library/preferences Folder, Before Re Installing Quicktime. Most Of Them Were Com.apple.quicktime....

6. RE DOWNLOAD FROM APPLE.COM/QUICTIME.

RESTART

VUUAAALLLAA!!!!

HOPE YOU GUYS HAVE SUCCESS! LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS!

PAUL

dazboardrider

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2006
Thank You!!!!!!!!

After weeks of screwing around with this its finally fixed! You should work for apple support! Those guys have no idea!

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Rojo said:
So Apple still hasn't gotten back to you? How long has it been? That doesn't sound promising... :(

It's been over a week now. I sent them an e-mail last Monday, and now it's a week and a day. Such ********.

HouseHeadNY

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2006
ITUNES 7.0.1 authorization problem FIXED!

NO PROB MAN, I WAS GOING THROUGH THE SAME STUFF AS YOU WITH THEM, AND WAS TOTALLY TURNED OFF THAT THEY HAD NO PHONE SUPPORT FOR ITUNES, EVEN AFTER CONVINCING THEM TO TO TRY TO HELP ON THE PHONE, THEY HAD NO IDEA. I JUST ASSESED THE SITUATION AND WENT THE HOLE QT ROUTE INSTEAD, IT WAS NOT A ITUNES ISSUE THE HOLE TIME, BUT A QT ISSUE.
GLAD TO HELP
PAUL

HOUSEHEADNY@YAHOO.COM

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
dazboardrider said:
Well actually if you look at the origionl post you will see there is nothing about having another account. He didnt relise that till later on. So Im having the EXACT problem as the origional post. Ive only ever had one itunes account and I only keep my purchaced music on one computer.

Wow, that's some logic there. It's the exact same problem you say except that his problem was multiple accounts where only one was authorized and yours is nothing to do with multiple accounts.

Whatever. Anyway, your problem has been fixed by reinstalling QT (exactly the same 'eh!) and I'm happy for you.

figjoe

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2006
Ha funny.

Although Daz is right he did have the EXACT same problem as it is worded in the orgional post.

Devman you shouldnt post anything unless its positive or helpful on this site.

Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.