Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:57 PM   #1
quasar720
macrumors member

Migrating Data G4 Pbook>>Mac Pro

I want to have a fresh start with my Mac Pro so I am shying away from using the Migration Assistant. I need to migrate data over from the following apps and was wondering if anyone could offer up the best method.

Mail
iTunes (would like to have my purchased music recognized as such)
iPhoto
Garageband
iWeb (need to maintain the web pages I have created)

Is it as simple as overwriting the Library files on the new machine? Does that cause any problems? I've heard some bad experiences using Migration Assistant so I feel like a manual transfer of this data would be a better way to go, thoughts?
quasar720 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 01:57 AM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Migration Assistant should be fine for those apps. It's more than simply overwriting Library files, but it should still be okay. Don't be tempted to use it for an actual app transfers though.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:45 AM   #3
quasar720
macrumors member

Can you specify what types of things Migration Assistant will help you with? i.e. "Transfer all my media but none of my applications." I suppose that would be ideal. I'd like to get a fresh start with configuring all the apps and the OS.

The one thing I'm a bit nervous about is bringing over mail. That always seems to be a bit of a pain. Anyone have experience with this?
quasar720 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 02:31 PM   #4
MacsAttack
macrumors 6502a

I transfered data and settings (but not applications) from a G4 Mac Mini to a Mac Pro.

The Migration Assistant takes you through it step by step.

Reinstalled applications not inluded on the new machine and everything worked fine.

Only issue was that Adobe Imageready crashed at first because of some issue with the imported settings. A simple reset to default settings cleared that up.

Been almost a month now and everything is still working fine.

One key point is don't create any accounts on the new machine that match your old one. The assistant will rename the matching account on import if you do.
MacsAttack is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs