Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:57 AM   #1
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

PS3 Bluetooth Remote

Here it is

I quite like it. Except the Playstation 3 heading on top of the remote. That's just tacky...

Last edited by MacRumorUser; Oct 4, 2006 at 12:03 PM.
MacRumorUser is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:59 AM   #2
SpankyPenzaanz
macrumors 6502a

I like that they are doing it bluetooth
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:21 PM   #3
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
Its cool, buttons are tiny though..oh well I'll have to grow nails then.

Bless
Old Oct 4, 2006, 01:03 PM   #4
Dagless
macrumors Core

Looks an awful lot like my parents Sanyo TV controller from the 80's. Actually it's a little spooky...

http://remote4tv.velocall.com/image/pd1090645631_0.jpg not the exact one but think of a blend of this and the PS3 one. it MUST be still in this house...
Old Oct 4, 2006, 01:26 PM   #5
XNine
macrumors 68040

No IR or RF at all? wtf. So now I'll have to have a SECOND remote. This is why I got my ****ing Harmony remote, so I wouldn't have multiple remotes laying around my apartment.

Thanks Sony.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 01:29 PM   #6
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

What year is it?

That thing is so bland and generic. Couldn't they throw in a curve here or there. Reminds me of the PS2 (which I also tought was the ungliest system ever created).
SamIchi is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2006, 01:39 PM   #7
srobert
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nyRiggz
Its cool, buttons are tiny though..oh well I'll have to grow nails then.

Bless
I loved the PS1's buttons. Very toe-friendly ^_^. I think the PS1 had a much nicer enclosure that the PS2. I wonder how much nicer it would have looked if made of a high quality glossy non-beige plastic.

I like bluetooth remotes. This way I don't have to keep the console in direct line of sight from where I'm sitting. I wish apple would come up with a bluetooth remote for the iTV so people can hide it behind their TV sets.

I admit it's a pain for those that planned to use universal remote. Does the PS3 have a IR sensor even though the remote is bluetooth?

Too many buttons for my taste.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 01:46 PM   #8
Dagless
macrumors Core

It is a shame it's BT though, or at least without a BT/IR toggle switch on the side. I use a shareware app on my Pocket PC for a universal remote with every IR device in my house practically programmed into it. ah well.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 01:46 PM   #9
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by srobert
Too many buttons for my taste.
we all know what would be the perfect DVD remote...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wii_remote_0501.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	59215

For shame then. for shame.....
Old Oct 4, 2006, 01:49 PM   #10
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
Well of course Sony would not allow uni remotes to work because they need to make the money across the board. I'll use my PSP as the remote

Did they give out the full spec of this remote..we might be jumping the gun.

Bless
Old Oct 4, 2006, 01:57 PM   #11
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
remotes aren't a big deal to me
Old Oct 4, 2006, 02:03 PM   #12
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nyRiggz
Well of course Sony would not allow uni remotes to work because they need to make the money across the board. I'll use my PSP as the remote

Did they give out the full spec of this remote..we might be jumping the gun.

Bless

Well looking at PS3 specs over at sony, they dont actually list infared, so bluetooth seems to be it, especially considering the controllers are all blue tooth.

Here's a very interesting article (your all probably too lazy to read it all though so I'll highlight the good bits) Especially since it's a lot of the questions we are asking ourselves too.

Quote:
October 4th 2006

WTF Sony?
by PS3Land Staff

The Tokyo Game Show has just ended and many of us were very satisfied with what we saw from Sony, some of us, not so much... Here at PS3Land.com we thought we would bring some things to attention that some of you were probably thinking yourselves, and ask the question; WTF Sony?

Basically there are things Sony has yet to reveal and launch is right around the corner. Our discussion will include things like; Where was Sony's online announcements, where was Linux, and what are the final specs on the RSX graphics card? Some of you may feel fine knowing that Sony is planning everything strategically and not showing all their cards just yet. Perhaps many of you will agree with our arguements and that's for you to decide.

So lets start things off with me, Justin Pinter, journalist and graphic designer.

Justin Pinter: Just to let everyone know, I liked the Tokyo Game Show and from what I saw, Sony is very prepared in providing the public fantastic and innovative games. Although, there is one big question I would like to address: Where was Sony's details on their online service?

So many games are coming to the PS3 that plan to have multiplayer as one of their main focuses. Take a title that everyone knows, like... Resistance Fall of Man. The developers at Insomniac plan to provide clans, rankings, match making, and up to 40 player support. Now how is this going to be incorprated on the PS3? Will there be a main hub where you can access friends lists and join a friends map or will online be completely up to the developers?

Also, Sony said nothing more about working with Xfire on their title Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom. There was no title given to the online service, or details on what they plan to provide other than a Xbox Live copy.

Ian Stanfield (Journalist): I can't say I'm totally impressed. Several things were good, like the addition of White Knight Story to Sony's lineup, which isn't exactly sterling as of right now. Most of the footage was just taken from E3, and redistrubted with the notion that the folks in the US would pay no attention to TGS. The fact that the launch lineup is dwindling is raising my eyebrow. We've known about Warhawk for what seems like ages now, and it apparently has been pushed back. Dumping the UK is probably the worst business decision I've seen in recent years. We can safely assume Kutargi is curled up in the fetal position in his hotel room, crying/drinking himself to sleep with a bottle of Sakai, wishing he hadn't made so many moronic decisions.

Like I mentioned earlier, Sony is getting something right. It's got a few great looking games. Motorstorm, Resistance, Fatal Inertia, and several other games look pretty great, if not decent. Sony has a lot riding on this console, and with the flurry of rumors circulating about pricedrops, it'll be interesting to see what Sony does in the few months leading up to the release of the console stateside and in Japan (sorry UK guys).

Bhavin Shah (Deputy Editor & Journalist): Firstly, let me apologise to Justin. He had to listen to all my complaining about TGS.

Simply put, I was extremely disappointed with Sony's showing last week. Yes they had 200 playable units, and yes they had a load of playable games. But who seriously feels that Sony justified a $500 or $600 (delayed) console?

Where were the surprise announcements? The secret feature that Sony's kept bottled up?

Sony just about redeemed itself with the Japanese audience after its two significant announcements: HDMI on the 20GB PS3, and a price cut for the 20GB PS3 in Japan.

But that was it. Kutaragi just rambled on about how his vision is a Youtube-like service where users can upload their content and share it with others. Show us this system! In fact, show us any part of the online system and I'll be satisfied.

We're less than two months from launch in the US and Japan, and we have yet to see how the online service will operate. What will it look like? What will they offer from day one?

And what happened to Linux on every HDD? It was mentioned once at the PS Business Briefing (when the delay from Spring to November was announced), but since then we haven't heard a word about it.

Show me why I'm going to make this $600 investment.

To those who think Sony stole the show at TGS, just remember that Nintendo didn't bother to turn up after it held its own event, and Microsoft had its X06. This was the perfect opportunity for Sony to silence all the critics.

I guess I'm already annoyed that I won't be getting my hands on a PS3 till March. But regardless, I cannot see Sony launching the PS3 in November with consumers knowing so little about the system. There must be something else...there must be...

Paul Coroneos (Journalist):
I viewed TGS 2006 as Sony teasing us once again. We saw the games, we saw the finished console, and we saw the percentage of completion for nearly every title.

As the name implies, TGS was all about games. And minus Ken's long winded speech about, well, I am still not quite sure still, Sony lived up to its expectations.

However, Sony kept an ace in the hole. What hapenned to new information about the RSX that we know virtually nothing about? What about online play? What about a complete list of launch titles confirmed by none other than Sony?

I believe it all has to do with X06. Microsoft had a strong showing, with games such as Gears of War leading the anti- PlayStation 3 charge. After watching the news from the show, I realised why Sony was quiet about these questions I have in the back of my mind. There will be another show.

TGS was not meant to be the last stand before launch day. There is suppose to be another show right around the end of October. And while we know nothing about it, I believe gamers can be confident in knowing that Sony must tell us all at this show. The PS3 Business Briefing was a teaser for E3 2006. E32006 was a teaser for TGS 2006. And I believe honesly, that TGS 2006 is once again just a teaser for Sony's last show in a few weeks.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 03:36 PM   #13
MistaBungle
macrumors 6502a

That remote is ugly. I give credit to the X360 for having a nicer looking remote and even for allowing Harmony to make a remote that encompasses other appliances.

Boo Sony.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:04 PM   #14
ReanimationLP
macrumors 68030

Yeah, the Xbox 360 remote is sweet.

And the other nice thing about the 360 remote, is it works on a MCE PC.

I'm willing to bet the MCE remote will work on a 360 too.

Stuff for Sale :3
ReanimationLP is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:12 PM   #15
Dagless
macrumors Core

360 controller is sweet? I trust your navigating using a guide dog or have reminder notes stuck to it? Really I congratulate Apple on a workable media centre controller that doesn't require more buttons than my Bluetooth NASA launch console.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:15 PM   #16
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjimmi
360 controller is sweet? I trust your navigating using a guide dog or have reminder notes stuck to it? Really I congratulate Apple on a workable media centre controller that doesn't require more buttons than my Bluetooth NASA launch console.
Actually there are two 360 remotes.

The one that came free with the initial launch batch is a sweet little number.

The one that you have to buy is massive and cumbersome.

Apple remote is sweet (though so small it can be hard to find at times)...
Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:48 PM   #17
sikkinixx
macrumors 68020

Nice article MRU, kinda long I just got out of Econ class and my brain is mush so thanks for the bolding and underlining

TGS was kind of boring from Sony, and Krazy Ken was a snoozer (cept for the whole 20GB HDMI news ). Maybe it was on purpose? Nintendo just kind spilled tehir beans and X06 was only a few days later so any news SOny would have had would be partially lost among the other consoles news. Maybe they will spill their beans in a lil bit when they can hog the spotlight? Besides, hype for this system is high no matter how much people blast it (the dude at Bestbuy said I was about the 20th person in the day that had asked about PS3 pre-orders) and so why talk now before they really need to? If they do some big show like the guy in the article states just before launch the PR meter swings over to them and everyone will be PS3 focused (in between playing GoW and FFXII mind you )
Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:50 PM   #18
XNine
macrumors 68040

If there is no IR for the remote or on the console itself, if there is no Linux... Then it doesn't look like I'll be buying a PS3 until they make a Slim PS3. Even with MGS4. Sorry.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:54 PM   #19
sikkinixx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka
If there is no IR for the remote or on the console itself, if there is no Linux... Then it doesn't look like I'll be buying a PS3 until they make a Slim PS3. Even with MGS4. Sorry.
dude are you serious? No IR so no PS3? that is the strangest reason I have heard to not get a PS3
Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:55 PM   #20
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Hell has truly frozen over. You don't want a PS3 and I don't want a Wii.

I'm going to go click my heels together now.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 04:57 PM   #21
zap2
macrumors 604

Quote:

So does this mean no new consoles or something to replace the PS3 you were once going to buy?m (Edit, you answered it in the next post, you have a 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjimmi
I don't want a Wii.

This is news to me? Any reasons?

Last edited by zap2; Oct 4, 2006 at 05:12 PM.
zap2 is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2006, 05:05 PM   #22
XNine
macrumors 68040

Yeah man, I didn't buy the best universal remote (that isn't touch-screen) to have two ****ing remotes laying around. That is pure BS. With my Harmony, I hit PLAY XBOX 360 and my TV turns to the right input, the xbox turns on and my A/V receiver turns on to the right input. Sure, it sounds like a really small deal to have two remotes, but when you've taken your DVR, TV, Xbox and 360, A/V Receiver and DVD remote into one single remote for a reason (and planend to have the PS3 on the remote as well), it's a big reason.

I'll have a 360, which I love, don't get me wrong. But at least the DVD remote for it was IR.

So unless there's a way to hook up an IR blaster or Harmony releases a IR/Bluetooth remote. No PS3 for a long time.

And Jimmi. No Wii? I guess hell really HAS frozen over with us, eh?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 05:13 PM   #23
Dagless
macrumors Core

No Wii for me as Nintendo are ****ing us Brits around again. I can understand paying over the odds for a console, sure, we have a Queen to sustain with a cousin addicted to helicopers. But charging more for less? I've had it, frankly. I could import a Wii from America, but my UK games won't work on it. Region Free was going to make or break it for me. it broke it.
I'll still be playing one. there will always be the living room's Wii for the family I suppose.

Back to the GBA...
Old Oct 4, 2006, 05:27 PM   #24
sikkinixx
macrumors 68020

^ and ^^

Satan is building a snow demon right now
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:00 PM   #25
twistedlegato
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser
we all know what would be the perfect DVD remote...

Attachment 59215

For shame then. for shame.....

The wii-mote small about of buttons reminds me of the Apple Remote.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games