Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laktic666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
I have a G4 laptop with Airport and bluetooth, and have just bought a MacPro which needs to go back because it's faulty. Problem is, they say the bluetooth module is not available anymore for my replacement MacPro and I didnt order a airport either, Im not to fussed about the wireless keyboard + mouse but I was going to use bluetooth to transfer files and share the internet connection from the G4 when needed (The MacPro dosnt need constant connection, only for updating, registering etc). Now, getting the replacement macpro has already taken about 3 hours of phone calls so im not sure if its worth trying to get the bluetooth for what its worth, I dont know if this is even the best way to share files and connection? Would using the ethernet be easier, I assume I would still need a hub like with PCs? Is it possible to use a cheap 2-4 port hub or do I need an expensive mac one? Or should I press them for an airport? any help appriciated, thanks

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Just about any hub/router will work fine. You can share the file/internet connection from the laptop to the Mac Pro through a firewire cable. You can also put the laptop in Traget mode, connect it to the MacPro with the firewire cable and drag & drop your file that way.

ljones

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I networked mine, the Mac pro has 2 ethernet ports, i just plugged my G4 to it, setup my G4 to allow Appleshare, setup my G4 with a new account that logs in automatically, set the permissions to ignore owner, and I just load my hard drives into my mac pro. A server basically. Took a little trail and error to get it to be a true server, but it's a smooth process now. I even modified a applescript to backup documents to the G4 every Sunday at noon.

When i find more free time i need to finish my script to mount the drive prior to the cron script running my backup script. And this will be the first time i use that wake from sleep feature, to ensure the G4 is up to attempt the mount. The wake for network admin doesn't seem to work for whatever reason.

Blah blah, too much info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.