October 4, 1995: Sell Apple, even if it means smashing it to... - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 5, 2006, 01:26 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

October 4, 1995: Sell Apple, even if it means smashing it to...

Category: History
Link: October 4, 1995: Sell Apple, even if it means smashing it to pieces
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:17 AM   #2
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Wow.....

Imagine that kind of stuff going on at Apple today.

I wasn't into Macs back then, but I wonder how being a Mac-lover would have been in those days. Enough around MacRumors' boards who do have that kind of history with Apple.
To you oldskool-guys out there: Did you all fear Apple really were doomed? That Apple was going out of business?
I really would have been anxious!
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Queso
macrumors 603

It got very bleak in 96. Even after Steve came back in '97 it looked like the company was in dire trouble, right up until the first sales figures for the "new" bondi blue iMacs came out.
Queso is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:29 AM   #4
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Were there sites like MacRumors.com (which didn't arrive until 2001, I think) where you could post your concerns?

I bet there were many doom scenarios discussed... maybe even M$ buying Apple

I also bet alot of businesses who were going to invest in their IT wouldn't choose for Apple anymore, because of the fear that Apple could go bust.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:39 AM   #5
Queso
macrumors 603

It was mostly on USENET back then. comp.sys.mac.advocacy was extremely popular with both lamenting Mac users and Windows trolls laughing at the company's misfortunes.

The worst thing was everywhere you looked Mac users were jumping ship. You could see the userbase bleeding away.

Took Steve a while, but he deserves every penny of those massive share options for what he did. A lesser CEO would have just looked for a buyer.
Queso is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:03 PM   #6
sunfast
macrumors 68020

Hard to believe it's the same company. It's been quite a turnaround.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:15 PM   #7
miniConvert
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to miniConvert Send a message via MSN to miniConvert
It sounds like the board listened to the lesser of two evils. Apple's hardware and software marriage is it's absolute key advantage - if it had lost that edge I doubt we'd have the remarkable computers from them that we do today.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:21 PM   #8
kalisphoenix
Banned

I hated using Macs until OS X came out (well, until I actually used OS X, which was in 2003). I was a Windows user from 1993 until 1999, when I discovered this strange "Linux" thing...

I was completely unaware of Apple's continued existence at that point, much less their woes. I had a i486-33MHz from 1993 until 1999 (note correspondence with the length of time I used Windows), and was really pretty unimpressed with "newer" technology. The Macs I'd used weren't really all that different from my 486, except that they had their GUI running from bootup. I'd used some Apple IIs, but even they weren't significantly underpowered compared to the 486. Sure, I had Microsoft Works, but I could do word processing just as easily on an Apple II....

Since I became a Mac fanatic, I've been pretty continually puzzled by how steadily and quickly Apple was destroyed by Microsoft and the IBM compatibles. Recently I saw an article listing the firing of Sculley as one of Apple's biggest business blunders... but pricing the Mac 128K at $2500 was really brutally stupid. The entire computing world today would be completely different had Sculley not been so greedy.

(Not that it would be a "better" world -- we wouldn't have NeXTSTEP and thus no OS X -- and we'd probably be sitting around running Linux and complaining about Apple, the 900-pound bug-ridden P.O.S. gorilla)
kalisphoenix is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2006, 01:05 PM   #9
jhu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfast
Hard to believe it's the same company. It's been quite a turnaround.
indeed it was. although i think chrysler still takes the crown for best turnaround.
powerpc750 :: mac os x 10.4.8
powerpc603 :: netbsd 3.1
jhu is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion