Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandyOrton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
I realize this may be really really stupid but, can I take Windows XP off my computer and replace it with OSX Tiger?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
If your computer isn't made by Apple, you can't legally or even remotely easily put OS X onto it.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
unless you had the early version of x86 Intel.

there was a video that had a Packard Bell laptop running OSX. I believe Apple had a cease order but on it.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Legality aside, my first statement holds true. In order to reap the benefits of OS X you need a Mac. Sure you can hack it on to a PC but you won't have video drivers among other things - and, well... it's just not good karma ;)

drnick1988

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2006
Dallas, TX
xbox

i read about these college kids that took a first generation Xbox and put OSX on it. basically the xbox is just a computer, since it has a Pentium III processor, USB port, hard drive and DVD ROM drive.
i forget about HOW exactly they figured out how to install it, but i remember that whey they tried messing with it, OSX ran incredibly slow. Like, it took 10 seconds for the magnification on the dock to appear. Yeah, so if you REALLY want to put OSX on something other than a Mac, have at it. It'd sure be a good rainy day project...

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Your karma check for today:
There once was a user that whined
his existing OS was so blind,
he'd do better to pirate
an OS that ran great
but found his hardware declined.
Please don't steal Mac OS!
Really, that's way uncool.
(C) Apple Computer, Inc.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Cooknn said:
Legality aside, my first statement holds true. In order to reap the benefits of OS X you need a Mac. Sure you can hack it on to a PC but you won't have video drivers among other things - and, well... it's just not good karma ;)

yea, Mac users don't steal from Apple...we steal from Adobe :D

EDIT: I'm kidding...only kidding. Don't steal software. It's not nice.

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
i think you can't install OSX on Parallels either, even though if you have a 10-computer license version

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
beatsme said:
yea, Mac users don't steal from Apple...we steal from Adobe :D

EDIT: I'm kidding...only kidding. Don't steal software. It's not nice.
Ya gotta give it up to those guys over at Adobe. For a company that started by producing fonts, they have come a long way, producing Illustrator as well as Photoshop - the industry standard for graphics editors - and it all started on a Mac ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.