Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 6, 2006, 01:23 AM   #1
emotistically
macrumors member

Taking things out of the trash

I had my finder window open and my desktop was placed into the recycle bin. How do I remove it for the recycle bin without deleting it? I can't drag it out and I can make copies of the folder but the icon and the file are still in the trash.

Is there a comand that will restore an item put into the trash. Right now I can make copies of my desktop but if I empty the trash everything on my desktop will be deleted. I know in windows there is an easy way of restoring anything in the trash, why wouldn windows have it and mac not?

Last edited by emotistically; Oct 6, 2006 at 02:47 PM.
emotistically is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 04:55 AM   #2
MACDRIVE
Banned

1. Click on the trash can icon on the Dock one time.

2. When the window pops up with the item inside that you want to retrieve, just drag the item out of the window onto the desktop. You're done.
MACDRIVE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 07:13 AM   #3
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

You might not be able to remove you Desktop folder from the trash because as soon as you put it in the trash a new one was created. How and why did you put your Desktop folder in the trash? Anyway you'll probably have to restore your desktop manually (if you had anything on the desktop) at this point.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 07:14 AM   #4
iGary

I thought this was about trash picking.
iGary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:39 PM   #5
emotistically
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12
You might not be able to remove you Desktop folder from the trash because as soon as you put it in the trash a new one was created. How and why did you put your Desktop folder in the trash? Anyway you'll probably have to restore your desktop manually (if you had anything on the desktop) at this point.
Why wouldn't I be able to take something out of the trash. It is stupid, I should be able to just drag it out and it will be out. There are some things about make that are pissing me off.

How would I restore my desktop manually?

If something goes in the trash is it always going to be deleted?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:40 PM   #6
Warbrain
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGary
I did that today. Some guy threw out a perfectly new newspaper from today so I grabbed it off of the top of the garbage can and took it.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:46 PM   #7
iKwick7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thread-title-wise, I thought the same thing.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:48 PM   #8
emotistically
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKWICK7
Thread-title-wise, I thought the same thing.
So you guys are just going to talk about the thread title and not even try to help me?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:59 PM   #9
emotistically
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACDRIVE
1. Click on the trash can icon on the Dock one time.

2. When the window pops up with the item inside that you want to retrieve, just drag the item out of the window onto the desktop. You're done.
The problem is the folder I want to retrieve is my desktop folder, all items on the desktop are put into the folder in the trash.

Isn't there a simple restore comand. Windows has one right next to the empty the trash and also on its right click.

Maybe I should by windows xp pro and never boot onto OSX.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 03:04 PM   #10
iKwick7
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotistically
Don't ever say that again!

I'm no mac genious, so I can't help you, but I am sure someone on the board will- just give it some time.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 03:16 PM   #11
Macmadant
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The problem is the folder I want to retrieve is my desktop folder, all items on the desktop are put into the folder in the trash.

Isn't there a simple restore comand. Windows has one right next to the empty the trash and also on its right click.

You just have to get used it, then everything will become simple and all come together to create one harmonious feeling, heck sometimes at school i get stuck on what to do in XP, as we've never had a PC in our home. and never will
Macmadant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 03:19 PM   #12
mkaake
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Er, no offense, but your attitude in this thread has pretty well sucked.

Open your user account folder on your hard drive, open the new desktop folder that was created. Now open up the trash folder by clicking on it in the dock. Double click the desktop folder in the trash to see it's contents.

Drag the contents from the folder in the trash to the folder in your user directory.

Final step: don't use attitude to try to get people to help you, it just pisses them off.

And yes, I too thought this was more about dumpster diving. And if you need to use XP Pro to restore items from the hard drive, then by all means, use XP Pro. Back in OS9 (and earlier) there was a nice command to put items away, if you drug them to the trash or desktop (it was great - you could pull something to the desktop while you were working on it, and then command-y would put it back in it's folder). But it's gone now.

Moral of the story? If you're going to throw something away that you might want to later put back in it's place, either a) remember where it came from, or b) don't throw it away.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 03:24 PM   #13
jamone80
macrumors regular

Quote:
me too!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help