Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Oct 6, 2006, 04:32 AM   #1
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quick Illustrator Question about Spot Colours

Illustrator is definitely my weakest app...

I have a greyscale logo, created in Illustrator. Shapes within it are solid tints of grey 20%, 50% etc.

I need to quickly create 5 variants of it as single spot colour versions. However, selecting the whole logo and choosing a Pantone colour converts all shapes to 100% rather than retaining the tint percentages.

Any quick way to do this or do I need to do each one manually? Am I missing some trick?

Thanks
BV
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 04:53 AM   #2
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

It might be less hassle to first change all the fills to black, then change the opacity of the fills. That would be preserved across the color changes.
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 06:05 AM   #3
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

This may or may not be useful, I found this plugin that claims to automate the job. It says it's for CS, but i couldn't test it because CS2 doesn't see it.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 07:06 AM   #4
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Oh, thanks for the plugin.

I'll try it later today or over the weekend (slippage already on work in progress )

Prefer to not use transparency on the EPSs as some of the older RIPs that a few of our display suppliers use get a bit confused. Was just looking for a quick solution but if I have to do them manually I will. Bleh.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 07:52 AM   #5
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
Prefer to not use transparency on the EPSs as some of the older RIPs that a few of our display suppliers use get a bit confused. Was just looking for a quick solution but if I have to do them manually I will. Bleh.
Isn't this fun? That plugin was apparently written to deal with exactly the opposite problem. Somebody really ought to come up with standards for these things
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:22 AM   #6
Snark
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
Illustrator is definitely my weakest app...

I have a greyscale logo, created in Illustrator. Shapes within it are solid tints of grey 20%, 50% etc.

I need to quickly create 5 variants of it as single spot colour versions. However, selecting the whole logo and choosing a Pantone colour converts all shapes to 100% rather than retaining the tint percentages.

Any quick way to do this or do I need to do each one manually? Am I missing some trick?

Thanks
BV
You got me all curious so I had to play.

If I'm understanding the problem correctly, I think I found an "oh well, next time" solution.

I specified the black I was using as a spot color, then the shapes in various tints of that black spot color maintained their tints when I did a 'select all' and assigned the group a new spot color.

Snark
Snark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:57 AM   #7
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark
You got me all curious so I had to play.

If I'm understanding the problem correctly, I think I found an "oh well, next time" solution.

I specified the black I was using as a spot color, then the shapes in various tints of that black spot color maintained their tints when I did a 'select all' and assigned the group a new spot color.

Snark

Good one. That sounds like a plan. I'll try this tonight after I've had a pint.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics