Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silversyren

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
I think my backlight went out?

I restarted and nothing. Still dim. I can barely, barely see things like if I hit expose, I can see shifting rectangles.

Also, I've been having this issue where the keyboard mostly stopped working -- if I hit kjjh, it'll come up as 3443 or something. It's usually fixed with a restart.

I have it covered by a year of applecare until feb 24, 2007 -- but I haven't registered it yet. Should I register and then call apple or what?

This comes at a REALLY bad time. :( I have design projects coming up everywhere and of course, despite my $250 external hard drive, i haven't been backing things up because I'm an idiot.

Can I hook it up to a external monitor just to make a backup of my hard drive?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
silversyren said:
Can I hook it up to a external monitor just to make a backup of my hard drive?

Yes...if you can get the computer to actually work. It sounds like it's got a hardware problem.

Did you purchase Applecare or is it still within the one year warranty? If you purchased Applecare at the time you purchased the PowerBook (new, that is), then you should be enrolled already. If not, you should call Apple ASAP.

silversyren

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
thanks guys.

I just finished backing up my hard drive onto my external and I registered -- it's still covered under the one year applecare. Now I'm heading to the local shop that specializes in Apple Computers.. I called and they said they can fix it under the warrenty for me, so I'm hopeful.

Pancake

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska
I think I gad the same problem you did shortly after I bought my 15" at the end of 2003. I sent it to Apple, and they replaced something or other and it has been working fine ever since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.