Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Oct 6, 2006, 05:29 PM   #1
chasingapple
macrumors regular

GIMP and making a transparent outline?

I wanted to start using GIMP for my web comic, because I have to go through many steps as it is now and thought there has to be a better way! I also want to add color and such so here is my question...

I draw my comic in pencil first, then outline using an ink pen. Once that is done I erase the pencil and scan the image into the computer. So what I have is just the outline of the artwork. What I would like to do from there is use GIMP to grab the outline and place it on a transparent layer, so then I can put a background behind it, and color in the highlighted areas of the outlines and such. I am totally new to GIMP and have never used photoshop, since I cannot afford photoshop I went with GIMP and need a little assistance. How the heck do I do this? Hehe.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:50 PM   #2
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020

Hi, since I don't know how to use Gimp, I did see this first book on this link page at B&N today http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...y&cds2Pid=9481. As for your learning Gimp, this book would be just the nice gift for you to ask for and excell at those cartoons I wish you all the best. Don't forget to post a link once your done for us to view your work/cartoons. Hope this helps in the long run
Old Oct 8, 2006, 12:24 AM   #3
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Try the Select By Color tool (the finger pointing at colored buttons). You may need to play with the threshold to keep faint pencil lines and such from saying in, but you can always touch up later with the eraser tool. click on the white background, then Edit->Clear.

You may find it helpful to create a new layer, paint it some color that varies from the original paper (paint bucket tool will do), then drag your imported scan layer over that in the layers window, to better see the results (that is, those potential stray marks). You can click on the eye in the layers window to flip it on and off.

(To explain, all layers in Gimp, including the background, already have transparency, so you are simply letting that show through by selecting and clearing.)

[ edit: Depending on the source image type, you may first need to add an alpha channel (Layer->Transparency->Add Alpha Channel in the image window). New layers will have that by default. ]

[and edit more: I notice that you are going to be painting with gimp on older Macs. You may find that painting is less laggy if you make sure you have no selection (Select->None) first. ]

Last edited by iMeowbot; Oct 8, 2006 at 01:30 AM.
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 05:16 AM   #4
chasingapple
macrumors regular

Well if you want to see what I have done so far head over to HERE. I am a beginner by far with Photoshop, but I'm beginning to get the hang of it.

Oh yeah, I went ahead and got Photoshop cause Gimp was annoying me.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 05:28 AM   #5
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingapple
Oh yeah, I went ahead and got Photoshop cause Gimp was annoying me.
Why doesn't that surprise me in the least? GIMP can get some stuff done, but I don't use it unless I have to either.

The new look is great, BTW!
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 06:50 AM   #6
chasingapple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot
Why doesn't that surprise me in the least? GIMP can get some stuff done, but I don't use it unless I have to either.

The new look is great, BTW!
Thanks! I do love the way photoshop works, I just have to learn what all the features are. I did some reading out there to make the lightsaber effect in this shot.

http://cherrychancomic.blogspot.com/...an-poster.html

Now I just need to stop playing around and actually continue making my comic, lol.

Last edited by chasingapple; Oct 22, 2006 at 09:59 PM.
chasingapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics