Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:00 AM   #1
California
macrumors 68040

target disc mode off iBook to intel Mac Mini?

Hey guys does anyone know if I can boot an iBook G4 in Target Disc Mode (firewire) onto an intel Mac Mini and then boot off the mini by using the iBook hd as the start up disc?

I am able to do this with my 12" Powerbook and a PPC mac mini. (I am also able to just plug in my display directly into my powerbook) but with no DVI on the iBook, it looks like this other option is my only recourse. In other words, I want to boot the iBook into an ACDisplay through an Intel Mac Mini. Can this be done?

I can do this with a Powerbook and a PowerPC mac mini -- what I want to know is if I can boot the iBook through the Intel Mac Mini with Target Disc Mode to holding down the options key and using the iBook's start up disc on the mini. ..
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:04 AM   #2
orangezorki
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by California
Hey guys does anyone know if I can boot an iBook G4 in Target Disc Mode (firewire) onto an intel Mac Mini and then boot off the mini by using the iBook hd as the start up disc?

I am able to do this with my 12" Powerbook and a PPC mac mini. (I am also able to just plug in my display directly into my powerbook) but with no DVI on the iBook, it looks like this other option is my only recourse. In other words, I want to boot the iBook into an ACDisplay through an Intel Mac Mini. Can this be done?

I can do this with a Powerbook and a PowerPC mac mini -- what I want to know is if I can boot the iBook through the Intel Mac Mini with Target Disc Mode to holding down the options key and using the iBook's start up disc on the mini. ..

I think that an intel OSX install is completely different to a PPC one. So, you won't be able to use the same install. If you install an intel setup onto another partition, I see no reason why that wouldn't work.

David
orangezorki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:42 AM   #3
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezorki
I think that an intel OSX install is completely different to a PPC one. So, you won't be able to use the same install. If you install an intel setup onto another partition, I see no reason why that wouldn't work.

David
Hmm. For slow learners like me, I'm sticking with PPC minis. So thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs