Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Oct 8, 2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Smileyguy
macrumors 6502

Inverted / odd colours

Hey, I'm working with Quark at the moment, which I'm not too familiar with. I've been laying out a newsletter and PDFing pages without any problem - but when I PDF one particular page, one (and only one) of the photos on it comes out all wonky - faces are a bright green, as is human skin, while there are lots blues too. Can anyone be of any help?
Smileyguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

What kind of file is the image? It hasn't been inadvertently altered from within the Picture Effects palette, has it?
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 03:31 PM   #3
Smileyguy
macrumors 6502

It's just a JPEG. There hasn't be any alterning at all - I just uploaded it as it was. It looks fine in Quark, it's only when it's PDF'd that it looks odd.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Don't use JPGs for placement in layout software; their output can sometimes be unpredictable.

Got Photoshop? Take that image and convert it to a CMYK TIFF and reimport it. It'll play nicely then. If this file is going to print all the images should be CMYK.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 03:43 PM   #5
Smileyguy
macrumors 6502

Thanks BV, that worked a treat. A quick question - someone else who was working on the layout before I started imported all of their photos as RGB JPEGs. They look fine on the PDFs, but should I go back and change them to CMYK, import them in Photoshop and re-PDF? Time is a bit tight (print deadline is tomorrow), but I can do it if necessary.

Last edited by Smileyguy; Oct 8, 2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 03:54 PM   #6
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Yes, they should all be CMYK... if all your images are now placed, then convert them all to CMYK, using a Photoshop action if you know how.

Then update them all in the Utilities palette, selecting all the modified filenames and holding down the Control key as you press the Update button, which should prevent the stupid dialogue box asking you 'if you're sure?' popping up for each image.

Time used at this end will make sure that your artwork won't need (possibly) expensive and time-consuming intervention at a prepress stage.

Also, make sure that when you create that PDF, you leave trim and bleed around the file. Images and graphic elements should overlap the edge of the page by at least 3mm... and a 15 mm slug is fairly standard (in the UK at least).
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:35 PM   #7
apfhex
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyguy
someone else who was working on the layout before I started imported all of their photos as RGB JPEGs.

Quote:
They look fine on the PDFs, but should I go back and change them to CMYK, import them in Photoshop and re-PDF? Time is a bit tight (print deadline is tomorrow), but I can do it if necessary.
Yes. If you don't, your printer/prepress person will slap you. RGB images don't translate to press printing. They have to be CMYK to separate. Also RGB and CMYK have different color gamuts, CMYK being more limited. If the images were created as RGB, prepare for some color shifting to happen. You might need to tweak them. If they were created as CMYK originally and then converted to RGB, going back to CMYK shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Last edited by apfhex; Oct 8, 2006 at 10:40 PM.
apfhex is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics