Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJ OJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
This is going to be mine (first thumbnail). I made it from a picture of an apple. :)

This is the picture I made it from (second thumbnail).

BTW, post yours!!!!!!

Attachments

• Aqua Blue.jpg
    Aqua Blue.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 150315704_d1a86c49a4_b.jpg
    150315704_d1a86c49a4_b.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 228

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
1. Resize.
2. What is login screen background?
3. Edit posts instead of double posting.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
As I rarely restart and is a pro when it comes to typing in my password, I find little use for changing my login screen.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I assume you mean this, excuse the quality, there is no CS3 option without login in so i had to use my camera and this was at night. This is the most recent one.

164967843b1fddb5550ojt7.jpg

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
I had no idea you could change the background.

Is this just replacing the sys file? Anyone know the location?

DJ OJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
I have plenty of time. :). Here is how.

Changing the Screen behind the Login Window from Macworld

Behind the initial login screen, the background image is blue with some white arcs running through it in a semicircular pattern. It's very pretty -- the first 4,000 times you have to look at it. If you'd like to express your creativity by replacing this background with something groovier and more personal, you can use this technique:

1. Choose an image you'd like to use. Any JPEG or PDF file is fine.

2. From the root of your hard drive, open Library: Desktop Pictures. A list of the standard Apple desktop images appears. Aqua Blue.jpg is the file you want to replace. Drag it out of the folder to a safe place as a backup (or just re**** it).

3. Drag your own graphic into the Desktop Pictures folder. Re**** your file Aqua Blue.jpg. This sleight of hand allows the system to find it during the boot process.

4. Restart the machine, and your new image appears behind your login screen.

theorem7

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2006
Just a little tip, you can actually take a screenshot of the login screen using a delayed terminal command. From this thread over at MacOSXHints, you can see that typing:

Code:
sudo screen -m -d bash -c "sleep 120; screencapture /Users/username/Desktop/loginscreen.tiff"

...into the terminal and then typing in your password (as it requires sudo to run), will take a screenshot afer the allocated time (in the example, 120 seconds) and drop it on your desktop when you replace username with your account's short name. To get it to take a screenshot of the login screen, type the command in Terminal (Applications/Utilities), replacing username with your account's short name, and the number after sleep with the amount of seconds you think it will take after you enter in the command to get to the login screen, then hit return, type your password, and hit return again. Then, depending on the amount of time you gave it, log out, wait until you're sure the amount of time has passed, and then log back in. If all went well, you should have a screenshot of your login screen on your desktop! If you looked at the thread I referred to, the hint itself actually describes a method using SSH, but later on down in the comments someone described this method, which I find to be much easier.

As far as changing the actual background goes, I used the method that was previously described as that was the easiest, but I know that there is another way, as the Macs at our video lab have a custom background, and I checked in Library/Desktop Pictures, and the Aqua Blue.jpg there was the default one... Oh well, I couldn't find out how to do it without replacing Aqua Blue.jpg, I guess it's not really going to hurt anything.... Also, I know additional customizations can be added by modifying the loginwindow.nib file, or using a third-party program (such as Visage, which was linked to in a previous comment), but I like it just the way it is!

Oh yeah, my login screen's attached...

Attachments

• loginscreen.jpg
    loginscreen.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 606

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
adom said:
How did u make the glossy reflection?

I'm willing to bet he just made an image of the reflection in PS and then used that. Optical Illusion.;)

For Example:

Attachments

• loginscreen.jpg
    loginscreen.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 411

adom

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2006
UK
schaef2493 said:
I'm willing to bet he just made an image of the reflection in PS and then used that. Optical Illusion.;)

For Example:

Well thats no good. What if you change your login avatar, or login name!...You'll need to change the picture too!

Booo, I thought it was technical wizardry! :rolleyes:

theorem7

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2006
Unfortunately, schaef2493 is correct... I just took a screenshot of the login screen and made a reflection of it in GIMP... I wish I could say I whipped up some gnarly script to create a live-update reflection image as it changes, but I didn't quite escalate it to that level. It might be possible, if I get a lot of spare time some day I'd like to look into making it have that functionality, but I can't think of any way to do that off the top of my head... I suppose you could use the same principle that I described in how to take a screenshot of the login screen, being that a terminal command can be executed even when no user is logged in, and have a prebuilt library of all the possible states that the login screen could be in and have it change the Aqua Blue.jpg file dynamically based on system events, but frankly, I don't quite know how one would go about doing that... And anyways, that wouldn't address the problem of changing user pictures... Oh well... If you want a description on how to make a reflection, I'd be happy to give it to you (it's probably not quite as exciting as a dynamically updating reflection, but I still think it looks pretty good!), or I'm sure there's plenty of tutorials around the Internet.

Sorry if I let you down...:rolleyes:

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
I had to try this. :confused: I followed the instructions posted by DJ OJ and wound up with a solid blue background. Next I tried reversing the process, still solid blue background. Any ideas?

Edit: I tried clearing the caches with Onyx, repairing premissions and finally Visage Login. Nothing.

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
Yeah, my jaw dropped when I saw the reflection. I'm sure there's a script somewhere that can do it without much difficulty...although, I'd have no idea how to do it :)

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
cschreppel said:
Yeah, my jaw dropped when I saw the reflection. I'm sure there's a script somewhere that can do it without much difficulty...although, I'd have no idea how to do it :)

I think it would be quite difficult.

The reflection would have to be updated whenever you clicked a button, began typing in your password, etc.

It would either have to be a real-time effect, or staticly update upon each action.

That's well beyond a simple image backdrop, and would require some major tinkering to say the least.

Mumford

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
Altadena, CA
Josh said:
I think it would be quite difficult.

The reflection would have to be updated whenever you clicked a button, began typing in your password, etc.

It would either have to be a real-time effect, or staticly update upon each action.

That's well beyond a simple image backdrop, and would require some major tinkering to say the least.

I think you may be talking about two different things. I agree it would be very difficult (if not impossible) for a real-time effect. But punching out an ImageMagick script to generate this login screen automatically for you when your login window changes (like if you add a user or you change your login icon) isn't too hard.

DJ OJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
iTwitch said:
I had to try this. :confused: I followed the instructions posted by DJ OJ and wound up with a solid blue background. Next I tried reversing the process, still solid blue background. Any ideas?

Edit: I tried clearing the caches with Onyx, repairing premissions and finally Visage Login. Nothing.
This won't repair anything, but it still could give you a new background. Also you could probably set it to the original aqua blue.

Login Background: The second tab lets you use any jpeg image as the background image of your login screen. Visage can even select a random image from your collection so that you will see a different background every time you log out!

Visage. Its free!

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
DJ OJ said:

As I said I tried Visage. It modified /Library/Desktop Pictures as expected but had no effect on restart. On start/restart I get a gray screen with apple and spinning thing followed by a blue screen with box containing progress bar. No background picture. I tried deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist but that didn't fix it. Any other ideas are welcomed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.