Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
How do you eject the second drive?

I have a MacBook, and I got my hands on an external drive. I can't figure out any key combinations to eject it though. I've tried all combinations of command, option, control and shift - F12, and the thing won't open.

I posted this here because i thought those most likely to have two optical drives would have them installed in a tower machine.

Cheers

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Option-Eject should work. There should also now be a menu bar item on the right that looks like the eject symbol and if you click on it you can eject any of the optical drives.

However, you have an external, things may be different. I think you may have to use the button on the drive to open it before you put in a disk. With the disk in you can drag it to the trash to get it out or I think that the eject button/key combo should work then.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
yippy said:
However, you have an external, things may be different. I think you may have to use the button on the drive to open it before you put in a disk. With the disk in you can drag it to the trash to get it out or I think that the eject button/key combo should work then.
I was planning on using the base of a G4 iMac as the case for a HDD and an optical drive. Does this mean i'm going to have to drill a button hole in it? Is the a script i can download which would allow me to eject it through the OS?

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Optical 1 [Master Drive] = Eject
Optical 2 [Secondary Drive] = Option+Eject

I have the factory drive that came with my tower as my Secondary, and my Pioneer DVR-110D as my Primary Drive. After, I installed the second drive OS X activated a Menu with a Eject symbol, it looks like this:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 56

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Open up /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Eject.menu to get the menu, if you don't already have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.