Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Just got a recall notice from the Navy.
I haven't been around here much lately but wanted some here to know.
I don't know where I am going or for how long. Could be as short as 6 months or as long as 16 months, going to either Norfolk Staff, Horn of Africa, Afg, or Iraq.
I have no fear of whatever it is, just really hate the timing for my family with the holidays coming. I have to report on my youngest daughters birthday.
Anyway, I'll keep in touch. Many here have done their duty on a recall, I am certainly not the first, and won't be the last. Just letting some know.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I hope you don't get the 16 month term. I think most of us would like to hear from you, even when you are over there, whenever you have time. I appreciate the service you do for this country and our people that I am too chicken to do.

Thank you so much again.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Be sure to convert everyone to mac users...

And best of luck! Stay Safe!

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
Stay safe.

Hope it all works out okay for you and your family!

EDIT: And the MR community will ALWAYS be here for you you know. They always are. :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Stay safe, have fun.

PS, a recall? How does that work? I was under the impression that once you're finished then you're finished. Ah well, guess I'm wrong.

Hope you get to go somewhere that's nice rather than Afghanistan or Iraq. Last I heard it was "Mission Accomplished" in Iraq so I would assume they don't need anybody there ;)

Afghanistan's landlocked so it would be bloody hard to get a boat in there.

Maybe they'll send you to Mauritius, that's a nice, sea-going place. :D

Anyhoo, hope it all goes well. Stay safe and get back soon.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Thanks so much for the sentiments.
I am now looking at buying a macbook for me and iMac for the home. Video iChat for the family. That way we can see each other when we argue! lol.
Anyway, my training the last few years has been centered around Strategery and Tactics. As a planner my life will be very dull. I will most likely be on a staff somewhere, and most likely Norfolk Va, 5 hours from my family (visitable). I hope to go somewhere to actually see the mess first hand. I should know more today. Even my skipper was freaked that they didn't know how long or where, that is fairly basic.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Good luck, stay safe, and God Bless.

Not gonna lie though, I won't miss seeing that terrifying avatar around these parts. ;)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
stubeeef said:
Just got a recall notice from the Navy.
I haven't been around here much lately but wanted some here to know.
I don't know where I am going or for how long. Could be as short as 6 months or as long as 16 months, going to either Norfolk Staff, Horn of Africa, Afg, or Iraq.
I have no fear of whatever it is, just really hate the timing for my family with the holidays coming. I have to report on my youngest daughters birthday.
Anyway, I'll keep in touch. Many here have done their duty on a recall, I am certainly not the first, and won't be the last. Just letting some know.
Stu that just sucks but it looks like to me that Bush & his buddies are going to have us fighting in Korea,Iran and Iraq. Being on a ship is a good place to be rather then on the ground in my view. Sorry to hear about this because lets face it the Navy sucks. Im a former sailor. Stu you know what kind of ship you will be riding?

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Well I hope everything works out for you and the family through this! I appreciate all the people who step up to the challenge by protecting the country and helping others! Sounds like you could be in Iraq for only a day and see enough damage firsthand to last you the rest of your life. Good luck!:)

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Stay safe, stubeef. My cousin got back from a tour in Afghanistan with the Marines, and I know how difficult it is for the family left behind when someone gets deployed into a dangerous situation.

We'll keep a light on for you here.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Ouch! Be careful out there stubeef. I'll be crossing my fingers for you. I know you won't be able to tell us where you are, but just a "in the US" or "not" would be appreciated.

Best of luck.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Stu,

Stay safe. It sounds as if you'll be stateside, which is not a bad deal. Really. While I know no one wants to get activated for stateside deployment (you'd rather be in-theater), the alternative is much worse. You'll be reasonably near your family, and you'll be able to visit on weekends, as long as you can bring your POV (car).

Can you provide a few details regarding the recall...how long have you been out? Are you in the reserves, or were you inactively finishing out your enlistment. I've been out of the Guard for almost 13 years....with things as they are now, I would not be surprised to hear about a reactivation for prior experience servicemen.

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
I'll echo the sentiments to be safe. Don't let anything happen to your gorgeous face - it takes a lot of guts to put your own picture in an avatar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.