Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
"Clutter is a small Mac OS X application that lets you put music CDs on your desktop. You can drag them anywhere -- they're really windows. Line them up neatly or put them in piles, it's your choice. Each one looks like the real CD's cover, and double-clicking it tells iTunes to play that CD."

I saw this mentioned on a few weblogs today, and after using it for a few hours I can honestly say it's the coolest app I've seen in a loooong time. I'm attaching a screenshot of my clutter pile to give you an idea of what it looks like in action; click the link in my sig for a more detailed review.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I have to say that even though it's kinda pointless and only adds to the "clutter" of my desktop, it is still really cool.
thanks.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Pointless?

I don't know about it being pointless. I have over 200 full albums ripped, and flipping through the ten or so that are in high rotation right now in iTunes gets annoying. This makes it much, much faster. Less clicks = good!

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
I downloaded this app a few months back, and my only real complaints are that it still needs some work when it comes to retrieving older album covers from Amazon and that it's making my pathetic little 15" Studio Display feel a little cramped. Still, it's a super cool little app, and it doesn't slow my machine down to a crawl like some other "gimmick" apps (read: effing Konfabulator). By the way, you both have exceptional taste in music! :)

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
hey medea...i vaguely remember following some of your leads on good music and finding cool stuff....could you enlighten me by listing some of the cds you have up there?...heres what i DON'T recognize:

the arm all the way to the left..with red backround...

clinic

reindeer section

the one with the elephant

ount erie

and the one with black and white squares

what/who are these bands and what are they like? let me know, i'm always in search of new music.

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2002
Originally posted by medea
I have to say that even though it's kinda pointless and only adds to the "clutter" of my desktop, it is still really cool.
thanks.
that clinic album roolz.

this app makes my computer desktop look my real one.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Mwhahahahaha! Look at what I have created!
clutter.jpg

... took me some hours.. heh, it's a Friday, I had free time!

As you can see, I have a WIDE taste of music.. everything from Rock to Michael Jackson to Japanese Pop to Techno/Trance to Indian Music to Pop to Comedy to Rap/Hip-Hop.

:D

hmm seems IMG is off.. for now, I hope...

irmongoose

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by howard
hey medea...i vaguely remember following some of your leads on good music and finding cool stuff....could you enlighten me by listing some of the cds you have up there?...heres what i DON'T recognize:

the arm all the way to the left..with red backround...

clinic

reindeer section

the one with the elephant

ount erie

and the one with black and white squares

what/who are these bands and what are they like? let me know, i'm always in search of new music.

Ok, the first one your talking about (arm, red background...) is the latest from Low, here is a quote from their website that describes the band completely "make very slow music. That's not the only thing there is to their music, or even the most important thing, but it's what you'll notice first. Low plays songs stripped to their bare essentials: slow tempos, quiet voices, powerful lyrics, and minimal instrumentations...."

Clinic is an amazing band, kinda hard to describe though, I guess it would be dark but catchy art house post-punk (geez...)

The Reindeer Section is an indie "super-group" of sorts with band members from Mogwai, Belle and Sebastian, Snow Patrol and Arab Strap etc. It's sort of somber folk rock.

The "one with the elephant" and "ount erie" are both albums from The Microphones, it's lo-fi psych-pop but on a grand scale quoted as being "Expansive yet accessible, indulgent yet unpretentious." But a warning, if you want to get into The Microphones start with the album "The Glow, Pt 2" or "It was hot, we stayed in the water" because both are a bit more accessible than the new "Mount Erie" record which is more of a concept album. Oh and they have also dropped the moniker of The Microphones and are touring as Mount Erie now.

And the last one "with the black and white squares" is Chat and Business from Ikara Colt, is a sort of art punk group following in the heels of sonic youth, if you like Blonde Redhead then you'd probably like Ikara Colt.

Sorry, I'm pretty crappy at describing music.

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
I have a 22" CinDisplay and I use codeTeck virtual desktops, so I have 1 of my desktops that I do work on, and the other has the desktop full of albums, and has mail open, and other "background" apps running. I switch to desktop 2, pick a cd then back to desktop 1, it works really well.

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
Re: Clutter

Originally posted by cleo
I saw this mentioned on a few weblogs today, and after using it for a few hours I can honestly say it's the coolest app I've seen in a loooong time.

GREAT recommendation! i've been wanting something like this for a while...i get "lost" in all of my music sometimes, i guess it's not hard to do with 5500 or so songs...

btw, great selection with the jack johnson album!

wwworry

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2002
that cat power album is not bad either. I like clinics 3 EPs and the EP, Walking with Thee

now to see what The Microphones are like.

Thanks!

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
to apple][forever...

white stripes rule!

Edit-Where do you get codeTeck virtual desktops? is it free? shareware? or commercial?

also, is clutter free?

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2002
Elephant is AMAZING.

I saw the WS in Detroit last year, the Strokes opened for them... they completely made the strokes look second-rate. Even though it was in a big outdoor arena and the sound sucked, it was still a great show.

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
Virtual Desktops

You can use Virtual Destops for free (without registering) but you only get two desktops. For me thats enough, it says it supports upp to 100 desktops, but that is unneeded.

James

anneleonard

macrumors regular
clutter is fab... but only one problem!

I love the way that it retrieves the album cover of your track from the net so quickly, it really fits with the importance that osx places on visuals. its great that it is a mini-app that you can fit in a corner and control forwards back and play/pause too.

the only problem that i've found with it is that i can't work out how to delete pictures of your albums once you've made them. I made them by accident when i was trying out clutter, and i can't for the life of me work out how to get rid of the little things. I don't really want the app to do what it says on the tin, you see (i.e. clutter!) Anybody worked it out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.