Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple continues to promote WWDC and posts a streaming video providing an overview for the World Wide Developers' Conference.

WWDC 2003 takes place in San Francisco 2003 from June 23-27th.

WWDC 2003 was originally scheduled for May, but was moved to June in a relatively last minute change by Apple.

Apple has announced that it will be providing a preview release of Panther (the next major version of OS X) to developers.

Rumors claim that WWDC will provide a sneak peak at Apple's plans on the IBM 970 PowerPC processor.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
that's a pretty poorly edited video. way too choppy.

:edit: by choppy i don't mean playing, the stream played fine. i'm talking about the quick transitions and lack of fading in and out. scene changes are messy and unorganized, hence the video being poorly edited and not a poorly playing video.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Does anyone here think that it is possible for Panthar to have a dramatic speed increase akin to Jaguars jump over 10.1? That would be amazing. I'm very interested to see what Apple has up its sleeves. I have always viewed Apple as the best software company in the world and I think that Panthar will reflect that.

As for the 970, are we pretty much sure that it is going to happen for the Mac? Everything I have heard regarding the subject says yes, so is it a given? Or are people biting into a super sized bowl of grade A BS?

P-Worm

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Dude, I hope it's faster. I mean I'll have a new powerbook by the time it's out but I feel bad givng my girlfriend my iBook500. It lags hardcore sometimes. And the battery life still sucks with 10.2.5

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm positive Panther will be faster. Apple has everything major working correctly...now Panther should usher in some speed optimizations.

Look at what they've been able to do the realtime features of Final Cut Pro between version 3-4.

Jaguar was nifty but Panther should be flat out amazing. Apple has some top not software coming. If they deliver hardware that can match it then they will have a bonanza.

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
Yea, the #1 feature i'm looking for in panther is improvements in speed. Specifically, improvements in general responsiveness of the Finder and on the system level as a whole. Anything on top of that will be icing on the cake.

tribalogical

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2003
tokyo, japan
I'll hazard a guess...

I'm willing to speculate on (predict?) the following WWDC announcements. When the curtain rises, I think we'll see:

software:
- A 64-bit OS... Panther on display, with an announcement of full 64-bit support (if it isn't already built into the June preview)

- The rest of the components of an "office-like" suite will be announced: A word processor ("Document"), a spreadsheet ("Calculate"?) :) and possibly a lite database... A bundle will also be announced, like iLife, (maybe "iWork"?) containing those plus Keynote and possibly iCal, Safari, etc...

- A "lower-end" music app, based on Logic, possibly called "Logic Express", ala Final Cut express... although this may delay until the next Macworld show...

hardware:
- A new portable device (digital hub device? Tablet computer?)

- Two new PPC970-based desktops (64-bit!), single & dual CPU config, up to or exceeding 1.8Ghz. They will be in a wholly new design enclosure. I don't think these will just be announced, I think they'll be physically unveiled at the conference, and put on sale soon after...

- Possible announcement of upcoming PPC970 X-serves...

- Announcement (and possible display) of a PPC970-based 17" Powerbook... those may also go on sale soon after the conference.

That's my prediction roundup... for what it's worth! :D Let's see how well I do come June...

tribalogical

PS: did I mention I'll probably want one of each of everything on that list...! ouch! :)

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Re: I'll hazard a guess...

Originally posted by tribalogical
I'm willing to speculate on (predict?) the following WWDC announcements. When the curtain rises, I think we'll see:

That's my prediction roundup... for what it's worth! :D Let's see how well I do come June...

tribalogical

PS: did I mention I'll probably want one of each of everything on that list...! ouch! :)

Well, you're optimistic, anyway!
Here's too dreaming for tomorrow, today.
Cheers.

imaswitcheryeah

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone else getting an error in the video?

I've tried to veiw it in Safari, and it would freeze safari. I downloaded it as source and as a .mpv file. Quicktime says it cannot play because of an error in the file.

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
Originally posted by nuckinfutz
I'm positive Panther will be faster. Apple has everything major working correctly...now Panther should usher in some speed optimizations.

Look at what they've been able to do the realtime features of Final Cut Pro between version 3-4.

Jaguar was nifty but Panther should be flat out amazing. Apple has some top not software coming. If they deliver hardware that can match it then they will have a bonanza.

Funny that you should mention the FCP 3-4 thing...
How did they do this? They dropped support for EVERY chip except for the g4... you can no longer run this on a b+w tower.... if you write something for just one chip you can code crazy well. You can have even core parts of it call upon chip specific code.

What if 10.3 was for g4s and 970s only?
or they offered 2 versions one for written for g3 and the other for altivec enabled chips?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Any announcement of the 970 hardware will likely not be available until August. Powerbooks later - Apple will likely do one more speed bump before changing boards. It would be kind of strange to have a 1Ghz G4 as the initial model, never update it, and then change to a 970.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I love how they timed it to conflict with MacWorld or whatever they are calling it. Who on earth will travel to the WWDC and then back again a week or two later for MacWorld. I bet they even lose a lot of journalists (MacWorld that is).

plowking

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2003
yeah, it was pretty bad

I'm very surprisesd Apple allowed that awfully edited video to go out the door. I'm sure they have a video dept, why didn't THEY do it? (I'm assuming the enginners made this themselves)

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
I'm not video savvy, but I also noticed the that the video was choppy. I didn't mind at the time because it came on so fast (because of 10.2.5?).

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Well, the video wasnt choppy at all for me, but the guy on the red shirt was annoying as hell (the way he speaks looks like he is from TV Shop) :D . Oh, and i found it pretty stupid that "keynote" part with the guy driking something afterwards. What the hell is this? April the 1st joke?

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by noverflow
Funny that you should mention the FCP 3-4 thing...
How did they do this? They dropped support for EVERY chip except for the g4... you can no longer run this on a b+w tower.... if you write something for just one chip you can code crazy well. You can have even core parts of it call upon chip specific code.

What if 10.3 was for g4s and 970s only?
or they offered 2 versions one for written for g3 and the other for altivec enabled chips?

There is a big difference between FCP and MacOS X. Since FCP is targeted at a sub market of the total Mac OS X market, and a fairly high-end sub market at that, they can easily drop support for the G3 (after all, you can't tell me there are very many serious FCP users out there that are using a B&W G3). However, even if Apple updates the iBooks to G4 processors before September they couldn't logically move MacOS X to G4 only, as it would alienate a large section of their consumer base that bought iBooks or G3 iMacs (aka Schools).

And aside from the altivec unit, there isn't anything (at the user level at least) that you can write to a G4 that won't run on a G3 :).

thecure

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2002
keynote??!!

I thought that there wasn't going to be a keynote anymore. Does anyone know if they'll be broadcasting that???

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
The vid played perfectly for me... The guy was kind of annoying,
but that is besides the point. The vid was not the least bit choppy.

I REALLY hope they unveil the 970, or announce it. I just want
confirmation from apple that they are going to use this. Specs
would be even better, but not necessary. :)

thenetman404

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2002
yah me too....

Originally posted by imaswitcheryeah
Anyone else getting an error in the video?

I've tried to veiw it in Safari, and it would freeze safari. I downloaded it as source and as a .mpv file. Quicktime says it cannot play because of an error in the file.

I downloaded the stream pointer file yesterday and have as yet not been able to watch anything. I have tried watching the in-browser stream in Exploiter and Safari with no luck. It gets stuck on "requested data" and then times out. Is anyone having similar problems? Has anyone fixed them? I would really like to be able to see this.....:)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: yah me too....

Originally posted by thenetman404
I downloaded the stream pointer file yesterday and have as yet not been able to watch anything. I have tried watching the in-browser stream in Exploiter and Safari with no luck. It gets stuck on "requested data" and then times out. Is anyone having similar problems? Has anyone fixed them? I would really like to be able to see this.....:)

I'm in the same boat as all of you. Whenever I try to view it from IE, Safar, Camino, Quicktime Player. The application just freezes and thinks forever. I eventually have to force quit the program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.