Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several sites are reporting on a recently published patent application from Apple which details the ability to store user accounts on external devices (such as the iPod) and moved/used on another computer.

Hence, by coupling the external, portable data store to another multi-user computer, a user is able to login to any supporting multi-user computer and be presented with their user configuration and user directory.

This idea is not new and was first revealed by Apple in 2003 as they were preparing for the Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) release. "Home on iPod" was a feature that was inadvertently posted on their website with the following description:

Home away from home

Ever thought you could carry your home in the palm of your hands or in your pocket? You can. Panther's Home on iPod feature lets you store your home directory - files, folders, apps - on your iPod (or any FireWire hard drive) and take it with you wherever you go. When you find yourself near a Panther-equipped Mac, just plug in the iPod, log in, and you're "home," no matter where you happen to be. And when you return to your home computer, you can synchronize any changes you've made to your files by using File Sync, which automatically updates offline changes to your home directory.

The description was quickly removed by Apple, and there has been no further mention of the feature.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
gauchogolfer said:
Looks like one more possibility for 'Top Secret Stuff' about Leopard to be revealed at MWSF 2007.

:)

MWSF should be pretty exciting, and no need to get excited about mythical iPhones!:D

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Ive been dreaming of this kind of thing ever since my 2nd gen ipod.
Please, please let this be true! (as if we need any further motivation to by Leopard)

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Makes more sense now with 80gb iPods than it did back then.
A nice feature I think, especially for someone who works on several different computers.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
this would be one hell of a feature.

If i can use my ipod to store work files. use on more than one computer and have it sync the computers, that would be terrific.

hell it would also be terrific to be able to have my macs just keep up to date and sync the files, or just have access to the same work files folder also.

they would be both complementary features.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
Is anyone else having trouble with the frontpage?

It's text only for me

EDIT: problem is over, sorry to hack your thread

Attachments

• Afbeelding 4.jpg
    Afbeelding 4.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 244

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
I've been wanting this for a while, too. It seems as though the timing is a bit off though, now that iPods don't use firewire anymore.

I remember a while back someone came up with the idea of having the docks built into the desktop models. Just pop the iPod in and you're ready to go.

Here's a question someone can answer though. How does the OS deal with a fluctuating table of user accounts? It seems to me that such a situation would drive netinfo crazy.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
iJaz said:
Makes more sense now with 80gb iPods than it did back then.
A nice feature I think, especially for someone who works on several different computers.

Too bad they've taken iPod in a direction away from using it as an external HD (e.g., no more firewire). And taken it towards being a standard unto itself, rather than part of a Mac system (would this work with a PC? I doubt it).

I don't think the patent really changes anything, though. Presumably they filed it a while back, adn it's just now becoming public.

I'd love the feature, but I'm guessing it's not a high priority at Apple.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I had almost forgot about this "non-feature", it's been so long ago! ;) It would definitely be nice to see in Leopard. So far, looks like I'll finally be upgrading my Panther machine next spring to 10.5 - I like what I'm seeing so far... :cool:

sartinsauce

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
Los Angeles
You know, I never noticed this during the Leopard preview. What an outstanding feature.

Like someone else said, this would inspire me to keep my 20GB 3G. It might even inspire me to pick up a larger capacity 4G.

Still, too bad Apple switched to USB for iPod connectivity. Firewire would be soooooooooo mcuh more efficient for this Sync Home to iPod feature. I'd hate to have to start copying a week early, just because I have s-l-o-w USB speeds...

amols

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
gauchogolfer said:
Looks like one more possibility for 'Top Secret Stuff' about Leopard to be revealed at MWSF 2007.

:)

What's the big deal here? Or am I missing something?? I use Data Backup to make exact bootable copy of MBP HD at home on external 2.5" firewire disk and carry it around. I can boot from it on any Intel Mac, do my work, bring it home and update the changes. Data Backup takes just a couple of minutes to do it. The only trouble is that PPC don't see Intel drives and vice-versa. And oh yes...iPod doesn't work as music player if formated for Intel Macs (GPT) :mad:

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
amols said:
What's the big deal here? Or am I missing something?? I use Data Backup to make exact bootable copy of MBP HD at home on external 2.5" firewire disk and carry it around. I can boot from it on any Intel Mac, do my work, bring it home and update the changes. Data Backup takes just a couple of minutes to do it. The only trouble is that PPC don't see Intel drives and vice-versa. And oh yes...iPod doesn't work as music player if formated for Intel Macs (GPT) :mad:

I guess the big deal is that you don't have to go through the hassle that you described. You wouldn't necessarily be rebooting each time either. I'd prefer to just check a box in iPod preferences, personally.

As you pointed out, for the power user there are probably already solutions that work fine. For the rest of us...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
sartinsauce said:
Like someone else said, this would inspire me to keep my 20GB 3G. It might even inspire me to pick up a larger capacity 4G.

Yeah, I could definitely see me using my 3G iPod for this purpose as well. :cool:

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
Well, aside form being Mac rather than PC oriented, how is this different than what companies are trying to do with flash drives via softwre products like U3?

- J

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
More to come...

In PAIR it's noted that a related application is in the system: application 11/512,848 filed on 08-29-2006. It will be a few months before we get to see that one.

amols

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
gauchogolfer said:
I guess the big deal is that you don't have to go through the hassle that you described. You wouldn't necessarily be rebooting each time either. I'd prefer to just check a box in iPod preferences, personally.

As you pointed out, for the power user there are probably already solutions that work fine. For the rest of us...

Yes...but you just can't carry around home folder like that. Thia isn't OS 9 anymore. What if you have iTunes library made by iTunes 7 in your home folder but the target computer has iTunes 6. Same goes for Aperture, FCP, and many more. What if the whole operating system is out of date. There will always be conflict between /Library and ~/Library.

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
I wonder if the sync feature will make use of Time Machine's core, I seem to recall Steve making a big deal out of the fact that its core would be accessible to third party developers. OSX's current "supplied" syncing functions and apps don't seem to have the muscle to pull this off.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Like many, I've been waiting for this feature since the original rumor/slip-up by Apple. Wonder what's taken them so long to get this out the door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.