Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:15 PM   #1
tngisaga
macrumors member

Powerbook internet problem & applecare

Hello everyone. I just registered on Macrumors so I'm a newbie.

I've been having problems staying connected on my Powerbook G4. The wireless works perfectly but the ethernet does not. I've been using the dorm ethernet jack to connect. The problem is that my computer can't maintain a consistent connection through ethernet so it randomly connects and disconnects. I called my campus' IT department and they told me that it must be my computer because they're system said that it didn't detect my computers IP address.

I called Applecare and the person told me that it must be something wrong with either the network card or the ethernet port. Anyway, he gives me a case number so I can go get a repair. Unfortunately an Apple Store is far away from where my school is so I went to my school's bookstore instead. The bookstore is an authorized service place. I drop the computer off to them and they sent it to Apple. I got a call today from the bookstore guy saying that the Apple technicians discovered that "liquid" had gotten into the motherboard and refused to service my computer. I was really angry when I heard this because I keep absolute care of my laptop. I know for a fact that no water has ever been around my laptop. I'm guessing it must have been negligence on the bookstore's part.

I declined the $1300+ repair estimate so now its on its way back to me. I have a brother that works at the Apple Store and he just suggested going directly to an Apple Store this time. Will they just refuse warranty repair again??
tngisaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:31 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

If the liquid damage is obvious then yeah, the Apple Store will probably refuse to help too. Unfortunately, liquid damage can be quite obvious.

It's worth a try though. Good luck.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs