Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:37 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Eudora goes open-source

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Eudora goes open-source
Description:: Qualcomm has announced that future versions of its email client Eudora will be open-source, and provides more details on the development in a FAQ.

The company is in discussion with the Mozilla Foundation, hoping to base future Windows and Mac versions of Eudora on Thunderbirdís code. It expects that the open-source Eudora will be available sometime in the first half of 2007.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:13 PM   #2
FelixGV
macrumors newbie

Hopefully, this will make the whole Eudora mess less of a pain to troubleshoot ...
FelixGV is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:09 AM   #3
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

I used Eudora exclusively (on both Windows and Mac) for nine years before switching to Mail about a year ago. I still miss some of its features...it'll be interesting to see what lies ahead for it.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:42 AM   #4
generik
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy
I used Eudora exclusively (on both Windows and Mac) for nine years before switching to Mail about a year ago. I still miss some of its features...it'll be interesting to see what lies ahead for it.
Spotlight support would be nice.
generik is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:46 AM   #5
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

It's a good chance for the client to move into the late 1990s. I gave it up a few years ago, when it had decided that the index was broken and re-built it to bring back all my deleted e-mail and to toss my good e-mail.

I still remember fighting with the thing to get HTML e-mails to look right. Cross-platform attachments were another huge problem for me. When the index hit the fan, I switched to Thunderbird and haven't looked back since then.

Eudora was good at handling lots of history--except when it lost it. Here's to a better application.
bousozoku is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion