Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 12, 2006, 03:54 PM   #1
yord
macrumors newbie

Removing Symantec from your Mac

Not sure if this posted in other forums yet. I had installed Norton 10 for MacOS and was confounded in trying to remove it (yes, I'm a new Mac user). I found this on Symantec's Site [http://service1.symantec.com/support...11?Open&src=w]

Document ID:2002110814042611
Last Modified:01/06/2006
Removing all Symantec programs for Macintosh by using the RemoveSymantecMacFiles removal utility

Situation:
You need to uninstall a Symantec product for Macintosh that is installed under Mac OS X. You tried several methods, including manually uninstalling or running the Symantec Uninstaller without success. Alternatively, you have been referred here by a technician or from another document because running the RemoveSymantecMacFiles utility is necessary to solve a problem with your Symantec program for Macintosh.

Solution:
For instructions on how to manually uninstall 2002-2005 Symantec Mac OS X products, see the document that is appropriate for your product:
Uninstalling Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh 10.0.x
How to manually uninstall Norton Utilities for Macintosh 7.0
How to manually uninstall Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh 8.0
How to manually uninstall Norton Personal Firewall for Macintosh 2.0
How to manually uninstall Norton SystemWorks for Macintosh 2.x
How to manually uninstall Norton Internet Security for Macintosh 2.0
To uninstall Symantec 2004/2003 products for Mac OS X, read How to uninstall a 2003-2004 Symantec Macintosh product. Use the RemoveSymantecMacFiles utility to remove all versions of Symantec products for Mac OS X. This utility should be used only when there is a problem that requires the complete removal of all Symantec products for Mac OS X.
yord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:01 PM   #2
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by yord
Not sure if this posted in other forums yet. I had installed Norton 10 for MacOS and was confounded in trying to remove it (yes, I'm a new Mac user). I found this on Symantec's Site [http://service1.symantec.com/support...11?Open&src=w]

Document ID:2002110814042611
Last Modified:01/06/2006
Removing all Symantec programs for Macintosh by using the RemoveSymantecMacFiles removal utility

Situation:
You need to uninstall a Symantec product for Macintosh that is installed under Mac OS X. You tried several methods, including manually uninstalling or running the Symantec Uninstaller without success. Alternatively, you have been referred here by a technician or from another document because running the RemoveSymantecMacFiles utility is necessary to solve a problem with your Symantec program for Macintosh.

Solution:
For instructions on how to manually uninstall 2002-2005 Symantec Mac OS X products, see the document that is appropriate for your product:
Uninstalling Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh 10.0.x
How to manually uninstall Norton Utilities for Macintosh 7.0
How to manually uninstall Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh 8.0
How to manually uninstall Norton Personal Firewall for Macintosh 2.0
How to manually uninstall Norton SystemWorks for Macintosh 2.x
How to manually uninstall Norton Internet Security for Macintosh 2.0
To uninstall Symantec 2004/2003 products for Mac OS X, read How to uninstall a 2003-2004 Symantec Macintosh product. Use the RemoveSymantecMacFiles utility to remove all versions of Symantec products for Mac OS X. This utility should be used only when there is a problem that requires the complete removal of all Symantec products for Mac OS X.
So what exactly do you have installed?
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:08 PM   #3
yellow

I hate Norton products. They prey upon people's fear and ignorance, but cause far more problems than they solve.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:17 PM   #4
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow
I hate Norton products. They prey upon people's fear and ignorance, but cause far more problems than they solve.
Yep. Every computer I ever installed Norton stuff on ended up totally screwed because of Norton conflicting with everything possible. I think of Norton as 'Not on' i.e. not on my mac. Not even in the same room!

I find Symantec is not far behind either.

Intego seem the way to go. Their stuff just works and lets you get on with your work. Not that I have it installed at the moment but I used to until the subscription ran out.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:11 PM   #5
yord
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartluff
So what exactly do you have installed?
I had Norton AV 10.1 installed. I got it because; a) I'm a 10-yr Windows user new to Mac, and b) it was Universal before ClamXav and didn't know about Intego. Thing is, I kinda feel weird not having AV and I'm very familiar with Symantec being a crappy Windows product, just not knowing they could corrupt BSD too. I miss the days when Peter Norton was behind his Norton Utilities products...
yord is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store