Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:33 PM   #1
newmacuser13
macrumors member

Battery Life in sleep mode for MacBook question

I am about to buy my first MacBook after years of windows machines, but have a question on battery life.

If I have a fully charged MacBook on AC Power, close the cover to put it to sleep, unplug from AC, and go about 6 hours before again using the computer, what kind of remaining battery life can I expect to find?

My current Sony Vaio is useless under those conditions, and I am forced to do a complete shutdown in order to have battery to use after the 6 hour interval.
newmacuser13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:40 PM   #2
ormandj
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmacuser13
I am about to buy my first MacBook after years of windows machines, but have a question on battery life.

If I have a fully charged MacBook on AC Power, close the cover to put it to sleep, unplug from AC, and go about 6 hours before again using the computer, what kind of remaining battery life can I expect to find?

My current Sony Vaio is useless under those conditions, and I am forced to do a complete shutdown in order to have battery to use after the 6 hour interval.
There should be very little depletion. Maybe 5% max? I had a powerbook I let sleep for 30 hours (Trip from Hawaii to Romania) and when I arrived it still had ~90% charge.
ormandj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:43 PM   #3
Palladium
macrumors member

Hi,

I regularly turn the power to my MacBook overnight and there are 2+ hours left in the morning.
Palladium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 06:09 PM   #4
skipsandwichdx
macrumors regular

It will barely go down (I carry mine around all day with little noticeable battery loss due to sleep), but if it's going to be sleeping for a day or more from battery power, I say just shut it down. It'll eat up less battery cycles that way.
skipsandwichdx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 06:23 PM   #5
newmacuser13
macrumors member

Thanks for the quick responses. Sounds like it works much better than my Vaio.

Now if I could just pull the trigger and make the purchase rather than endlessly watching the thread on when the C2D macbooks might surface! Decision, decisions.
newmacuser13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 07:08 PM   #6
Cybergypsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmacuser13
Thanks for the quick responses. Sounds like it works much better than my Vaio.

Now if I could just pull the trigger and make the purchase rather than endlessly watching the thread on when the C2D macbooks might surface! Decision, decisions.

Much Better!!!!!
Cybergypsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:26 PM   #7
cschreppel
macrumors regular

Yeah, I was pretty impressed with the MacBook's battery life. While I usually have my power supply with me, I don't use it on occassion (or I forget it). In those cases, I keep the MacBook in sleep mode whenever I can...I've seen maybe 2-3% power loss if it's shut for 2-3 hours or so.
cschreppel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:22 PM   #8
eXan
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
The sleep mode in Windows is different to one in Mac OS.

While "sleeping", Windows machine does not power the hard drive and the screen.

In OS X, the only thing that is powered while in sleep mode is the RAM (and firewire ports in desktops)

So, in sleep OS X uses much less power than WinBooks.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 03:11 AM   #9
vega07
macrumors 65816

in my college lectures, I get an average of four and a half hours of battery life.
I have brightness at three bars, airport off, bluetooth off. I have microsoft word and firefox on.
vega07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:30 PM   #10
farqueue
macrumors 6502

dw it lasts for ages... i had mine sleeping for more than 2 days, when i awoke my beast, it still had about 75% and about 2hrs
farqueue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 04:40 PM   #11
fucayama
macrumors newbie

Long time reader, first time poster

Just got my mac book pro a week ago and think something might be up with the battery after reading this thread.

Have used the computer on battery alone for a few task but not more than half an hour. this gave reasonable usage, about 20~25% drop. Over the last 2 or 3 days though I've left it in sleep mode for about 12 hour and its gone from full charge down to 6% when I turned it back on.

I wasn't sure how the macs behaved in sleep so thought this was normal but thinking it's a little excessive now.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
fucayama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 07:43 AM   #12
asherman13
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to asherman13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fucayama View Post
Long time reader, first time poster

Just got my mac book pro a week ago and think something might be up with the battery after reading this thread.

Have used the computer on battery alone for a few task but not more than half an hour. this gave reasonable usage, about 20~25% drop. Over the last 2 or 3 days though I've left it in sleep mode for about 12 hour and its gone from full charge down to 6% when I turned it back on.

I wasn't sure how the macs behaved in sleep so thought this was normal but thinking it's a little excessive now.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
I've been having a similar issue recently; could this be because I installed more RAM (512MB more) in my MBP a few months ago?
asherman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:37 AM   #13
Zadillo
macrumors 65816

Yeah, don't worry about it. I'm not sure what the deal is, but Sony seems to especially have a pretty big problem with battery drain while sleeping or in hibernation.

When I owned my Sony Vaio s360, I could put it in hibernation with the battery fully charged at night, and the next morning it would be down to 70%, easily.

When I complained to Sony about it, they said that was "normal".
Zadillo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:58 AM   #14
mleary
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXan View Post
The sleep mode in Windows is different to one in Mac OS.

While "sleeping", Windows machine does not power the hard drive and the screen.

In OS X, the only thing that is powered while in sleep mode is the RAM (and firewire ports in desktops)

So, in sleep OS X uses much less power than WinBooks.
That is not true, Windows laptops work the same way... It really has nothing to do with the OS anyway.
mleary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 04:20 PM   #15
Grakkle
macrumors 6502a

Mine goes from 100% charge to 80% in twelve hours when sleeping.
Grakkle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 01:42 AM   #16
eXan
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleary View Post
That is not true, Windows laptops work the same way... It really has nothing to do with the OS anyway.
So why my Asus remains very warm when its been sleeping for quite some time, while Apple laptops (and desktops) go back to room tempreture?

Also, why does the battery drain so fast on PC'books when the're sleeping and why PC'desktops while sleeping remain as loud as when the're not sleeping, maybe becasue the CPU is running?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 04:40 AM   #17
dpope
macrumors member

I have a sony a190 (gigantic 17") and see similar problems. I've actually tested this a lot because sleeping (or suspending) is important to me. In Windows the sleep mode seems to use abuot 5% of the battery in an hour so I can let it sleep over night. I mainly run Linux though and there its more like 10-12% and hour. I left it sleeping in Linux last night and when I woke up the power had completely drained ... very dissappointing. To some degree this is an OS problem because the OS has to tell all the various pieces of hardware to shut off and I think many Linux drivers aren't up to spec in this regard yet (though the new kernel, which I'm not running yet, is supposed to be much better at this). This is one of (several) reasons that I'm planning to get an new MBP C2D. I thought about trying to intall OS X just to see if the suspend works but I'm guessing the driver support for non apple hardare will be even worse. Anyone know how to improve the sleep/suspend lifetime of a laptop in Linux or windows (until I get my new toy ;->)?
dpope is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:41 AM   #18
XP Defector
macrumors 6502

I'd say with mine, it's around 3 hours for a reduction of 10%.
XP Defector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:44 AM   #19
computergeek
macrumors member

i put mine to sleep and when i came back about 8 hours later...after classes about 20% was gone is this normal

iPhone -> White 3GS | 16GB; iPod Touch -> 2nd Gen | 8GB
computergeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:54 AM   #20
riscy
macrumors 6502a

I take mine to work at 7.30am, in sleep mode all day, use it several times throughout the day (not much as I use the PC, spit), and when I get home at 5pm still have 88-90% charge left
Old Feb 11, 2008, 02:22 PM   #21
computergeek
macrumors member

how much battery life should i expect to lose if i let it sleep overnite?

iPhone -> White 3GS | 16GB; iPod Touch -> 2nd Gen | 8GB
computergeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:00 AM   #22
cool11
macrumors 65816

Does sleep mode hurts the battery life of my macbook pro(2011)?
I know osx has advanced sleep mode management, but I wonder if sleep mode harms battery life in comparison with shutdown option.
cool11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro